Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Healing, Medkit, First Aid, Healing Mod Table
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
PatB
I searched a bit but couldn't find (or couldn't clarify) the rules. So how does healing works again ??

1) Alone in your appt: 2xBOD -1 (average situation).
1a) Does it matter if you have a medkit (for an additional -3 if you don't have one) ??
1b) If the medkit matters, how do you use the rating ??

2) About the Mage/adept/technomancer modifier, when is it taken into account ?? Self healing, with medkit, with first aid ??

3) Same question with the Implant modifier. When is it taken into account ??

4) How do you handle Docs (in terms of rolls and modifiers) and how much do they charge per day ??
JoelHalpern
First aid provides immediate healing. By the book, whoever is using First aid rolls Logic + First Aid + Medikit rating. Hits over 2 reduce damage.
Magical healing can then be applied. Assuming the mage has the healing spell, the mage rolls, with a penalty to his pool based on the degree of Essence reduction (cyber + biowear) of the patient. The hits heal boxes.

That ends immediate healing.

If you are healing at home, you then rest. Roll 2*BOD dice per day. (As far as I know, there is no penalty to this roll for being injured.) A medikit is irrelevant. Your own medical skill is irrelevant. There are modifiers depending upon life style.
If you go to the hosptial, or to a clinic with a doc that can put you up, you get positive modifiers to that roll.

Yours,
Joel
hahnsoo
By Rules As Written (RAW), you'd apply the Healing Modifiers Table to every First Aid and Healing roll. However, most GMs just apply that table to First Aid and Medicine rolls (someone else treating you, or treating yourself with skill) and make Medicine tests require that modifiers table, while Healing through Rest is always BOD X 2.

1) Correct
1a) By RAW, you need either medical supplies or a medkit, or else you suffer a -3 to the roll. However, I'd say that if you own a Low lifestyle or something equivalent, you'll have enough medical supplies to negate this penalty. You don't need sutures and blood packs to heal up (and besides, you need some First Aid or Medicine skills to use them anyway). A simple rating 1 medkit, of course, will provide enough supplies as well.
1b) Add the rating of the medkit directly to the roll.

2 and 3) Technically, a Mage with Astral Perception and Assensing can provide Long Term Magical care to themselves, which gives them +2 dice pool modifier, negating the RAW healing penalty -2 (Arsenal, p 123). Most practitioners who specialize in caring for Technomancers OR Mages specialize in either of those categories, getting a +2 modifier that cancels out the -2 penalty (I will note that in most campaigns, Technomancer-specialized doctors are extremely rare).

4) There are extensive rules for paying for medical care in Augmentation. For everyday healing, you'd probably just use 100 nuyen per day or per visit (the lowest figure in Augmentation).

Moral of the story: Get a Rating 6 Medkit. It's cheap (600 nuyen) and easily available (always available by RAW).
JoelHalpern
Reading the material on apges 242 - 244 in the BBB (I don't have SR4A), and I don't think they have stated this changed,
the healing modifiers table (from which the -3 for no medikit, + kit rating, and the modifiers for place of healing can be found) appears only to apply to the roll for a medical person (including the patient), taking a roll to aid healing. If you just take 2*BOD, then the medikit does not apply, the situation does not apply, etc.

If you are not too badly injured, it appears that a patient could roll logic + medikit - damage - 1(for being at home), and take the number of hits rolled as bonus dice on the actual healing test. So, if you have a rating 6 medikit, and 2 logic, and a reasonable GM, then ieven if you are quite injured you can get 1 extra die for your healing test. If you have a real doctor and sterile conditions, then the doctor is rolling logic + medicine + medikit, and probably getting 3 or 4 hits, giving you 1 more hit per day on your healing test. (If you are a mage ot other low-body character, that is a big difference.)

Yours,
Joel
Dakka Dakka
Yes you are right and SR4A doesn't change anything. The situational modifiers only apply to First Aid and Medicine rolls. SR4A clarifies that the mentioned wound modifiers are not those of the patient but those of the Doctor/EMT.

How sanitary a place is also only applies to those tests. Even lying in a ditch a character still gets BOD*2 to recover from his injuries. AFAIK wound modifiers apply though, since they are not negated explicitly.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Nov 27 2009, 04:10 PM) *
Yes you are right and SR4A doesn't change anything. The situational modifiers only apply to First Aid and Medicine rolls. SR4A clarifies that the mentioned wound modifiers are not those of the patient but those of the Doctor/EMT.

How sanitary a place is also only applies to those tests. Even lying in a ditch a character still gets BOD*2 to recover from his injuries. AFAIK wound modifiers apply though, since they are not negated explicitly.

IIRC, Applying wound modifiers to the Healing Roll (2*Body) is an optional rule, which makes the medicine skill VERY useful (or going to the hospital)... but it is not applied by default...

Keep the Faith
Dakka Dakka
Now that you mention it, I remember that optional rule.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Nov 29 2009, 04:12 AM) *
Now that you mention it, I remember that optional rule.

We have seen no real need for it yet in our campaign, as we have no super medic that heals all in a minute, even the mage can only patch a few boxes... anything that gets us into the serious wound range (7+ Boxes) we tend to go to the street doc anyway... we have good contacts, so it is not that big of a problem...

But I do understand the reactionary need for such an optional rule... for some reason, I have an issue with a "Medic" being able to bring you from the brink of death (even into overflow) and heal that monstrous 10 boxes of damage in a minute or two... suspension of belief is one thing, but that is rediculous indeed... and this goes double for just "staying at home" until you have healed up... does it happen occasionally in real life, sure, but not often enough to make it a trope in my book... people who are injured so radically tend to need professional medical assistance to recover damage, and that is what the optional rule represents...

Keep the Faith
Dakka Dakka
At least in SR4A this is (no longer) possible anyway. The healed boxes are limited to the healer's skill. normally that is six. I know that you can get the skill to 10 but someone would still have to roll the 12 hits. To do that half of the time 36 dice, after the mods for unsanitary conditions, are needed.

Someone who invested that much of his resources to pull it off, I would consider professional medical assistance.

So to me this rule is unnecessary as well.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Nov 29 2009, 11:03 AM) *
At least in SR4A this is (no longer) possible anyway. The healed boxes are limited to the healer's skill. normally that is six. I know that you can get the skill to 10 but someone would still have to roll the 12 hits. To do that half of the time 36 dice, after the mods for unsanitary conditions, are needed.

Someone who invested that much of his resources to pull it off, I would consider professional medical assistance.

So to me this rule is unnecessary as well.

Perhaps, but it just grates non the less...

Keep the Faith...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012