Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Google Wave
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Community Projects
Pages: 1, 2
Rystefn
So I've been lurking around here for years and never really felt a need to comment before today. I'd love to get an invite and try this out.
DamienKnight
QUOTE (Rystefn @ Jan 22 2010, 10:07 AM) *
So I've been lurking around here for years and never really felt a need to comment before today. I'd love to get an invite and try this out.

RystefnKryll at yahoo.com

Invite sent.
Rystefn
Thank you much.
Ears
Could I get an invite, too? Thanks in advance.
giselborg@giselb.org
Platinum
QUOTE (Ears @ Jan 23 2010, 01:04 PM) *
Could I get an invite, too? Thanks in advance.
giselborg@giselb.org

invited
Ears
Thanks.
TBRMInsanity
I just found out that I was given an additional 17 invites. Who needs one?
Axl
So those of you playing with Wave, how is it going?
ker'ion
I'm not going back.
It's too slow and I can use OpenRPG, MapTools or something similar, as well as just taking it to IRC with a dice roller if I have to.
Delarn
QUOTE (ker'ion @ Feb 19 2010, 03:37 PM) *
I'm not going back.
It's too slow and I can use OpenRPG, MapTools or something similar, as well as just taking it to IRC with a dice roller if I have to.

It has better speed with chrome ! But it is still slow and I don't enjoy it so much. I just hope that iTabletop will resolve my problems !
TBRMInsanity
QUOTE (Axl @ Feb 19 2010, 02:32 PM) *
So those of you playing with Wave, how is it going?

Slightly faster then playing over e-mail. Google Wave really starts to shine as a collaborative tool. As an RPG tool there are better programs out there, but when you don't have access to those programs then Google Wave is an excellent alternative. There are a couple of groups that I play with that I wouldn't have the chance to game with them if it wasn't for Google Wave and for that alone I love it.
Kagetenshi
We decided long ago that it was not a useful tool for primary gaming, but we're continuing to use it to good effect for between-session legwork, leaving the times when we're all sitting around a (virtual) table as much as possible for action.

~J
TBRMInsanity
I strongly recommend Dice-y for your dice rolling in Google Wave (just add the user dice-y@appspot.com to your Wave and it will convert [4d6] into [4d6 = 3 + 4 + 1 + 6 = 14] for you. I've added dicy-y to all my Google Wave games now.
SQLCowboy
I'm actually liking it better than using a play by post forum, which is how I've gamed online before.
Delarn
QUOTE (TBRMInsanity @ Feb 24 2010, 10:31 AM) *
I strongly recommend Dice-y for your dice rolling in Google Wave (just add the user dice-y@appspot.com to your Wave and it will convert [4d6] into [4d6 = 3 + 4 + 1 + 6 = 14] for you. I've added dicy-y to all my Google Wave games now.

randomleetwenty@appspot.com is better. 5d6s5:6,6,5,3,3 = 3 Successes !
Muspellsheimr
So a while ago, I sent a PM to someone requesting an invite, & never got a response (or my email filtered the invite for some strange reason).

If anyone has an invite available, send me a message please.
TBRMInsanity
QUOTE (Delarn @ Feb 24 2010, 06:43 PM) *
randomleetwenty@appspot.com is better. 5d6s5:6,6,5,3,3 = 3 Successes !

Buy buy Dice-y!
Delarn
QUOTE (TBRMInsanity @ Feb 25 2010, 09:54 AM) *
Buy buy Dice-y!

??? you don't like it ?
Troll Bouncer
I'd like an invite if anyone has one available

ballzoutbouncer @ yahoo

Thanks in advance.
TBRMInsanity
QUOTE (Delarn @ Feb 25 2010, 02:20 PM) *
??? you don't like it ?

Dice-y is good and all, Randomlee20 is just better.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Troll Bouncer @ Feb 25 2010, 06:40 PM) *
I'd like an invite if anyone has one available

Sent
phillosopherp
If anyone is actually running a game through wave let me know, I just got in and would like to see what it does
Toxic Summon
This looks very intriguing. Can someone send me an invite please? I'd be very grateful.

my e-mail is: imperialdigimon at yahoo.com
Toxic Summon
Thanks to whomever sent me the invite!
TBRMInsanity
QUOTE (Toxic Summon @ Mar 11 2010, 12:33 PM) *
Thanks to whomever sent me the invite!

No problem.
phillosopherp
so does anyone actually have a game going? I am desperately looking for a Shadowrun game!
Crank
QUOTE (phillosopherp @ Mar 16 2010, 01:16 AM) *
so does anyone actually have a game going? I am desperately looking for a Shadowrun game!

Yeah, I'm running one over Wave at the moment.

For those that are wondering how well it works for SR games, I really like it myself. I would definitely not try to use it in a live game chat type game, you have to use it in a play by post style game. One of Wave's problems is that the waves start to get really slow when viewing, scrolling, and especially typing in them. You have to break them off and create new ones about every 100 responses or so, but sometimes sooner.

I like Wave because I can maintain separate waves for each PC, one for in character and one for out. I maintain about 15 waves dedicated to that one game, which might be more than some people would like. Obviously that wouldn't work in a forum setting unless it was your own forum.
Belvidere
If any invites are still floating around, I'd love to get my hands on one.

twizjsly@yahoo.com

Please and thanks!
Draco18s
QUOTE (Belvidere @ Apr 11 2010, 12:17 AM) *
Please and thanks!

Done
DVSman
I just got 25 "wave" invites so if anyone needs a wave-vite let me know. Also if anyone is running a game that wouldn't mind me eavesdropping in on it, send me a note. I am curious how the mechanics of SR are being run on a wave and wouldn't mind seeing it in action "live" so to speak. Thanks!
Yerameyahu
My group has been testing Exalted via Wave, and we're also using it to coordinate our Shadowrun game. It suffers from all the above problems: quickly gets clunky and slow, not really 'there' when it comes to chat-replacement, etc. I agree, too, that it works best when you act like it's a more fluid Google Docs, which is Wave's real intended purpose, I'm told.

The problem with both SR and Exalted is that there are a lot of back and forth rolls in pretty quick succession, such as the attack-dodge-resist-knockdown sequence. The real beauty of Wave is it's ability to emulate PBEM or PBForum, so that people don't have to be connected in real time, but these kind of games bog that down a bit.

I, too, found that Random Lee Twenty was the best fit for Shadowrun, though I like Dicey for Exalted.

Finally, Wave recently added built-in email notifications, which is handy for anyone not logging in all the time, or sitting at a computer with a running Wave Notifier.
Seriphen
I am also interested in playing by Wave or just sitting in and watching if someone wouldn't mind. I also have 25 invites left for anyone who would also like to try it.
Ol' Scratch
Keep in mind that they're basically just creating an engine. When they're done, other companies (including virtual tabletop RPG designers) will be able to use it as part of their applications. While I don't care for it in and of itself as its currently presented, it does have some interesting ideas and applications.

I just find it humorous that it's basically a throwback to the old BBS days of chatting with the sysops and other users. I actually miss that quite a bit. Instant messengers just aren't the same.
DamienKnight
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Apr 18 2010, 10:57 AM) *
The problem with both SR and Exalted is that there are a lot of back and forth rolls in pretty quick succession, such as the attack-dodge-resist-knockdown sequence.

In a play by post game, I recommend attacks go like this:

I am attacking the Goon. I have 4 skill + Smartlink + 5 agility. My weapon is an ares predator 5P DV -1 AP

At that point the GM resolves that portion of combat, including the players attack roll, the goons dodge roll, and the goons Resist (and knockdown if in 3rd edition).

That will cut down on the back-and-forth quite a bit.
Kagetenshi
Why have the GM do the attack roll?

Actually, this is a bad example—attack is rolled by the attacker, and then dodge-resist-knockdown are all rolled by the target without needing to wait on anything by the attacker (unless the attacker is a Great Dragon or Horror with the power to interfere with the target's rolls). A better example is attacks that cost a Simple Action, where in most cases (not throwing a grenade or using a Launch Weapon) if the game isn't playing strictly the attacker can and should wait on the results of the first action (a quick look-up indicates that Declare Actions should come strictly before Resolve Actions, but this seems to often be missed).

~J
TBRMInsanity
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Apr 29 2010, 06:47 PM) *
Why have the GM do the attack roll?

~J

In any PBP (play by post) campaign where communal dice programs are not free available, it is always a good idea for the GM to roll everything. This keeps things fair (unless you GM wants lots of TPKs and in such case the GM will find he has no players soon enough).
Yerameyahu
Well, the Random Lee Twenty bot is fine for fair dice, but I think the point of the GM rolling was to speed up combat in a non-realtime medium. You're right that it's not a great fix, but it's tough. The use of multiple actions based on contingent results, as you suggest, are exactly what I'm talking about when I say SR is tough on PbP-style media. smile.gif
Crank
My group uses Shadowroller for our rolls. Just follow the following steps:
Delarn
I use Randomleetwenty@appspot.com
Kagetenshi
So much for that. Guess it's time to see if they open-sourced enough server code for a private Wave.

~J
TBRMInsanity
Unfortunately Google Wave has been cancelled due to a lack of interest. I still have 8 invites if people want to check it out before it fades from existence though.
Draco18s
QUOTE (TBRMInsanity @ Aug 6 2010, 09:51 AM) *
Unfortunately Google Wave has been cancelled due to a lack of interest. I still have 8 invites if people want to check it out before it fades from existence though.

I'm not surprised at all. People don't want to combine email, IM, and collaborative editing. Collaborative editing on email is just a disaster ("Here, let me just re-write what you said, then when Jon get it...").

I also disliked the "see as you type" thing. I like to keep my IMs to myself (and forum posts, etc.) so I can edit out spelling errors and incoherent thoughts (as well as inflammatory remarks).

Now, if they'd just marketed it as a collaborative editing tool, it might have gone somewhere (then again, maybe not, because the market for that is really small).
Yerameyahu
Well, they didn't really market it at all. People who looked at it understood that it *was* a collaborative document tool. You're right, the email/IM 'replacement' aspect of it confused people, and was clunky. For me, a big problem was the development timeline. It took forever to get email notification (which was never very *good*), and it was always slow and crashy. These kinds of things should have been fixed much earlier.
TBRMInsanity
May of the tools in Wave I thought were good (even the collaborative editing of emails). I think that the biggest problem was that Wave was a great solution for a problem that doesn't exist. The second issue I found was that you had to invite people to use Wave. If everyone with a Google account had a Wave account, then adoption would have been a lot faster IMHO. The only good thing is that some of the features in Wave will be implemented in other Google products (most likely Buzz and Google Docs).
Draco18s
QUOTE (TBRMInsanity @ Aug 6 2010, 03:30 PM) *
The second issue I found was that you had to invite people to use Wave. If everyone with a Google account had a Wave account, then adoption would have been a lot faster IMHO.

Good point. And you couldn't even add people who had a wave account to a wave unless they were in your contacts list.
Which you couldn't add anyone with a wave account without first adding their gmail account to your gmail contacts list.

The only good thing is that some of the features in Wave will be implemented in other Google products (most likely Buzz and Google Docs).

Speaking of Buzz. WTF is Buzz?

Its like a MyFace wall, only in Gmail:
Completely and uttery fucking useless and a complete waste of time. Why do I want to see what these random* --ers type out?

*By random I do mean random. Gmail basically had me auto-watch anyone in my contacts list (basically anyone who I'd ever exchanged emails with, including people on the L4D Mapper's Mailing List) who had a Gmail account.
Platinum
QUOTE (TBRMInsanity @ Aug 6 2010, 03:30 PM) *
May of the tools in Wave I thought were good (even the collaborative editing of emails). I think that the biggest problem was that Wave was a great solution for a problem that doesn't exist. The second issue I found was that you had to invite people to use Wave. If everyone with a Google account had a Wave account, then adoption would have been a lot faster IMHO. The only good thing is that some of the features in Wave will be implemented in other Google products (most likely Buzz and Google Docs).

Google wave was awesome for document revisions and collaboration. Like working with a consultant. You can playback reviews from start to finish. That is awesome for business customers.

It never took off because

1. It wasn't really intuitive
2. way too slow, and crashed often
3. required you to download the chrome framework
4. didn't integrate well with messengers or email like they said it would
5. writing an app was a huge pain, and they didn't have enough widgets to make it worth it.

Google wave opened up to anyone months ago. The problem was that anyone who was once interested would not return. You didn't need an invite. Not only that, they didn't refresh invites often enough, because everything was way too slow.

Buzz was a colossal disaster. They implemented it without anyone's permission or sufficient testing, to a market that was already dominated. Many people's safety was threatened by their breach of privacy.
TBRMInsanity
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Aug 9 2010, 09:09 AM) *
Speaking of Buzz. WTF is Buzz?

Its like a MyFace wall, only in Gmail:
Completely and uttery fucking useless and a complete waste of time. Why do I want to see what these random* --ers type out?

*By random I do mean random. Gmail basically had me auto-watch anyone in my contacts list (basically anyone who I'd ever exchanged emails with, including people on the L4D Mapper's Mailing List) who had a Gmail account.

Buzz is Google's attempt to emulate Twitter/Facebook/Myspace. Will it be successful? I don't know. I know that it helps me keep track of my RPG groups (specificly updates from my GM). It is as close to a Twitter experience that I want to be (I don't have a Twitter account, I won't get a Twitter account, I don't like Twitter).
Yerameyahu
Meh. I don't mind Buzz or anything about its launch. I also don't *use* it, because my social groups don't. No critical mass, no Buzz.
Draco18s
Oh god, I just realized that my coworkers and I were all following each other (not that any of us use it).
Seriously. Do not want auto-follow.

Edit:
Oh snap. There's a "Disable Google Buzz" in Gmail settings.

Are you sure you want to delete your Google profile and Google Buzz posts?

You are about to delete your public Google profile and the Google Buzz posts you have made. This will also disconnect any connected sites. Learn more

Please note that deleting your public profile will not affect the status of your Google Account. Learn more

[x] Also unfollow me from anyone I am following in Buzz, Google Reader, and other Google products.

[Caution] You cannot undo this action
Dumori
I've found buzz relatively ok I have a few writer mates the blogg with blogger so buzz helps with following them. My own blogg will be up as soon as I type up my work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012