Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Google Wave
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Community Projects
Pages: 1, 2
TBRMInsanity
I was lucky enough to get an invite to Google Wave ( http://wave.google.com ) and right off the bat I saw the many possibilities to use Wave for Shadowrun. Wave is like a forum, mixed with a text chat site, mixed with an office document. It allows new people to "play back" waves from the start so they can experience how the wave developed organically. My Shadowrun group is already using Wave to record our past adventures as a battle log and that is working great but I can see it being pared with Skype (or some other VOIP tool) to be used for online Shadowrun games. The ablility to attack links, pictures, videos, documents, etc into waves makes it easy for GMs to deciminate info to players. The creation of seperate waves with select participants means you can quitely send messages to other players (or the GM) without others knowing (essential in the clock and dagger universe of SR).

I still have 4 more invites left if someone else would like to try Wave (you will get 10 invites after using Wave for a couple weeks).
Nigel
I agree that Wave is a great tool for Shadowrun (and RPGs in general). There's even a dicebot that works with SR4-style rolls (it's called Random Lee Twenty).

And for the record, I received 8 invites to send out after I joined up, not 10.
Nifar
I'd be interested in trying a Wave-based SR4 game, after someone invites me so that I can check it out. *hinthint*
Method
Hell yeah! If anyone has extra invites laying around send one my way!
Tech_Rat
Hey, I'd like to get an invite... Starting a run with some friends cross country. Sounds like it'd make this easier.
TBRMInsanity
3 left.
Ryu
QUOTE (Method @ Dec 1 2009, 08:27 AM) *
Hell yeah! If anyone has extra invites laying around send one my way!

One would need your email adress.
GreyBrother
I have 3 invites left, and would be interested in an SR4 wave.
Issmir
I'd love an invite. Shoot me a PM and I'll get you my email address.
TBRMInsanity
I'm out of invites.

I have some ideas on a campaign I want to put together. It won't be done till after New Years but I will make sure to put an invite in the forums before I start. You would need Wave and Skype to participate though. Keep you all posted.
Platinum
QUOTE (TBRMInsanity @ Dec 2 2009, 09:21 AM) *
I'm out of invites.

I have some ideas on a campaign I want to put together. It won't be done till after New Years but I will make sure to put an invite in the forums before I start. You would need Wave and Skype to participate though. Keep you all posted.

I have 15. Send me a pm with your email addy if you want one. I have given out over 50 so far.
Nifar
QUOTE (GreyBrother @ Dec 1 2009, 08:01 PM) *
I have 3 invites left, and would be interested in an SR4 wave.

I just got hooked up to Wave, and would also be interested in a SR4 wave. Mostly because 4e is the only edition I know.
Kagetenshi
We've been using it as an adjunct to our chat-based SR3 game for about three days now; it has deep flaws as a replacement for the chatroom, and I don't think we're going to use it in that role anytime soon, but it has been fantastic for shifting legwork out of in-person time into between-session downtime. Far better than the forum we tried to maintain in previous games.

~J
Phatom
Well you do have to be honest Kage what hurt that was the fact very few of the others actively keep tabs on it ninja.gif but yes I like the Wave system even if all we use it for is the Leg work part of the runs.
Kagetenshi
Well, right, but part of the point is that Wave is so easy that keeping tabs on it becomes so little work that we actually do it regularly.

~J
Kagetenshi
But the documentation makes me want to STRANGLE SOMEONE!!!

~J, painfully writing an SR3 dieroller
Generic_PC
If any of these invites are still around, send me a PM. I'd also be interested in a google wave game, though I do not have skype.
Method
So I glitched on my "don't be a dumbass" test and gave TBRMInsanity an incorrect email address. I will PM Platinum but if anyone else is offering, I'd still like to get in on the Wave-y action.

Thanks Platinum!!
Platinum
But the documentation makes me want to STRANGLE SOMEONE!!!

~J, painfully writing an SR3 dieroller

There is an awesome dice roller that will do shadowrun 1/2/3 called dicelink. dicelink@appspot.com

Re: invites
I have 15 invites left. Method, yours is in the system

Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Platinum @ Dec 4 2009, 10:28 AM) *
There is an awesome dice roller that will do shadowrun 1/2/3 called dicelink. dicelink@appspot.com

I saw it, but was displeased with the verbosity required to do SR-style rolls (on my brief examination). Anyway, I've already burned an ID on it, so I may as well finish it off smile.gif

~J
Platinum
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Dec 4 2009, 10:59 AM) *
I saw it, but was displeased with the verbosity required to do SR-style rolls (on my brief examination). Anyway, I've already burned an ID on it, so I may as well finish it off smile.gif

~J

Cool... let me know when you have it sorted out then. I will most likely switch dicebots.
Platinum
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Dec 4 2009, 10:59 AM) *

~J

Cool... let me know when you have it sorted out then. I will most likely switch dicebots.
Vittek
I'm in, thanks to Platinum. Keep this thread updated about an SR4 wave, I'd really like to see it.

EDIT: Ok, Wave seems nicely done, I can see potential, although not necessarily for games.
I have just started a wave for the documentation of DamienKnight's excel character generator. If anyone cares to take a look, you can quickly find it with the tag 'Shadowrun'.
Cheshyr
My group has started using Wave and Docs as a central place to store our character sheets, bio, run history, goals/shopping list, memorable quotes, etc... We cycle GMs so everyone gets to play, and this makes it easier for the next GM to find the information they need to create an appropriate adventure. No more digging through emails from a month ago, and asking for updates, and all that.

Just thought I'd throw that out there as an alternate SR use for Wave.
Phatom
Oh I don't think you need to add much more to the list of stuff Wave is grate for when using it for SR stuff. The only issue's we are having is a organizational one as we have found out that the Wave can get rather messy quickly. We are going to look in to changing that how ever on the next game.
Tricen
Anyone wanna hook me up with an invite? tricen@gmail.com

Thx ^_^
Platinum
QUOTE (Tricen @ Dec 7 2009, 04:43 PM) *
Anyone wanna hook me up with an invite? tricen@gmail.com

Thx ^_^

Invitation is entered into the queue, might be a day or two.
10gauge
I'd also appreciate an invite. smile.gif

webmaster@trfinc.de

Thx!
Platinum
QUOTE (10gauge @ Dec 10 2009, 07:35 AM) *
I'd also appreciate an invite. smile.gif

webmaster@trfinc.de

Thx!

Sent... will be in the queue
Vittek
Anyone knows how to link a wave?
TBRMInsanity
QUOTE (Vittek @ Dec 10 2009, 03:25 PM) *

If you are part of the Wave:
* Make sure the person is part of your contact list (add them if they are not)
* Press the "+" button on the wave and select the person's name

If you are not part of the Wave:
* Contact someone that is part of the Wave and ask them to include you (using the instructions above)
Vittek
Ok, I can do that... but they tell me there is a way to get a link so you can post it on the forum, for example. Any ideas?
Kagetenshi
If you drag a Wave from your inbox into another Wave, it'll generate a link that you can then grab the URL from. There has to be a better way, but what that way is, I can't find.

~J
10gauge
QUOTE (Platinum @ Dec 10 2009, 02:41 PM) *
Sent... will be in the queue

Thanks, man! spin.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (Nigel @ Nov 30 2009, 05:45 PM) *
I agree that Wave is a great tool for Shadowrun (and RPGs in general). There's even a dicebot that works with SR4-style rolls (it's called Random Lee Twenty).

And for the record, I received 8 invites to send out after I joined up, not 10.

I got 20, used up 13, but I still have 15 (they gave me more).

QUOTE (Vittek @ Dec 10 2009, 04:25 PM) *

If its a public wave you can add it to a new wave (drag the conversation into a wave), then right click -> copy URL. You could then paste it to anywhere and anyone has a direct link to the wave.

If its not public you have to use the aforementioned method (well, that will work, but you can't add yourself to a private wave wink.gif ).
Vittek
Ok, let's try: Damien Knight's SR4 Char Gen documentation

Let me know if this works.
Delarn
this works well !

--- Edit ---
I got 22 invite left !
Draco18s
QUOTE (Delarn @ Dec 13 2009, 04:56 PM) *
this works well !

Yeah, I did it over here which is how I figured it out. nyahnyah.gif
Delarn
I've used wave in my current campain to play the inbetween mission. So I am really happy with it so far ! Just miss a character sheet widget.
ravensoracle
If anyone has any spare invites, could you hook me up? Thanks

ravensoracle@hotmail.com
Delarn
invited !
ravensoracle
Thanks
McCummhail
I am extremely interested!
If someone has an invite available I would greatly appreciate it.
EDIT: *************@gmail.com

Thank you very much!
Platinum
QUOTE (McCummhail @ Jan 2 2010, 06:57 PM) *
I am extremely interested!
If someone has an invite available I would greatly appreciate it.

Invited.
McCummhail
I've been playing with it, but it seems that wave starts to bog down when there is a lot plugged into it.
I would recommend having separate programs for separate functions until wave hits a new plateau.
Skype (or other voice system) + Wave (for chat / images / info) and possible another for grid/maps.
Depends on how you run things.
It isn't the future yet, but we are getting there.
Draco18s
QUOTE (McCummhail @ Jan 4 2010, 05:03 PM) *
I've been playing with it, but it seems that wave starts to bog down when there is a lot plugged into it.
I would recommend having separate programs for separate functions until wave hits a new plateau.
Skype (or other voice system) + Wave (for chat / images / info) and possible another for grid/maps.
Depends on how you run things.
It isn't the future yet, but we are getting there.

Waves get slow when you have more than about 12 participants or over 100 messages (or both?) so do be cautious. For a bit of added speed use Google Chrome (it's the only reason I have Chrome installed: I'm following a wave with over 20 participants and 200 messages and it bogs like hell in FF).
Delarn
I use MSN for all the chatting and Wave for the rolling, after the session I copy paste all the talking from MSN into the Wave.
THENEWBIGD
If anyone needs an invite PM me okay?
Marston
I hate to ask, but any chance I could get an invite (if you are the giving type or have spare invites?), please?
Email is freedomgrinder@yahoo.com
Platinum
invitation sent.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012