Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dryad Summoner
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Justin
I'm starting a game this weekend with a Dryad Magician who focuses on calling spirits, as well as more nature based spells. He is from the great Redwood Forest, which I believe in the shadowrun world is inside Tir Tairngire, but close to the disputed area with the California Free State (I'm still learning the lore of this game). The game is set in Seattle, and I will have him looking for a group in his tradition-- thats actually what I'm having a little trouble with.

His tradition, mechanically, is basically Shinto. I like the idea of calling out spirits (Kami) from everything, and fits with a nature based dryad who calls tree spirits. But I don't want it to be entirely Japanese in approach-- I'd like to draw more towards the ideas of druidism and shamanism, especially with a regional focus around the redwood forest.

However, I have no idea what to call the tradition-- So I'm looking for any suggestions for names, or other ways to flesh it out. Quirks are especially welcome. The other thing is that I'm having trouble with is coming up for a name for a branch of a magic society for this tradition. Any suggestions would be great!
Justin
Any suggestion is great, and it would help me with brainstorming. I often have a difficult time naming things.
Kurious
I think druid or Wiccan would fit the idea nicely. If you are near elven lands The Path of the Wheel fits well too.

If you are set in stone on mirroring Shinto sans Japanese culture; call it something like 'The Sequoia Tradition' or the like.

Just some thoughts, hope it helps.
Karoline
QUOTE (Kurious @ Dec 1 2009, 07:34 PM) *
I think druid or Wiccan would fit the idea nicely. If you are near elven lands The Path of the Wheel fits well too.

That was more or less my thought. I also don't see any real problem with simply copying over the shinto stats, changing the name to druidism, and changing around the fluff a little bit to refer to nature spirits instead of kami.

I've always believed that a tradition is much more what you make of it than what is written down anywhere. For instance, you could run Satanism and Christianity under the exact same rules, just that one person follows God and 'gets' his power from him, and the other person follows Satan, and 'gets' his powers from him instead. The traditions stem from the same base, but it is the personal interpretation of the mage that is important. Similarly your tradition would be Shinto, but where they say kami, you say nature spirit.
Justin
Thanks, that is pretty much what I will do. The philosophy in druidism and shinto seem similar in terms of spirits. Its just that the drain attribute is totally different. I still need to come out with a name for a magic group in Seattle though, for the tradition. I think I'm going to scan the books some more and see if there are any groups of druids mentioned. Haha.. I'm so bad with naming things.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012