Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Matrix Related Adventure Help
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Necronbob
I'm planning to run the "Knowledge" scenario out of "Survival of the Fittest," but I will be using the 4A rules. I don't think I've completely wrapped my head around how the wireless matrix works, and I was hoping some of you could help me figure out how to use it/describe it.

Would Mount Shasta be connected to the Matrix at large, or would its remote location mean it is separated. If it is separated, what would happen once the PCs' commlinks get into range? A more general Matrix question is whether the hacker could just stay home and do any necessary hacking from Seattle -- is there some reason that the hacker needs to be on scene? The scenario says that two technomancers are in the system at any given time. Would they only respond if the system notices the hacker accessing the node or could they take more active roles in looking for intruders?

I guess I'm just looking for advice on how to use the matrix successfully. Thanks for any help you can offer.
The Jake
Its not compatible.

Survival of the Fittest uses SR3 rules, where the Matrix was completely wired. You could do some tweaking of the Matrix rules - call commlinks "cyberdecks", introduce the concept of LTGs, RTGs, etc. But that's a lot of overhead.

SR3 assumes the hacker is offsite unless the system cannot be connected to any other way.

- J.
Jericho Alar
QUOTE (The Jake @ Dec 2 2009, 08:11 PM) *
Its not compatible.

Survival of the Fittest uses SR3 rules, where the Matrix was completely wired. You could do some tweaking of the Matrix rules - call commlinks "cyberdecks", introduce the concept of LTGs, RTGs, etc. But that's a lot of overhead.

SR3 assumes the hacker is offsite unless the system cannot be connected to any other way.

- J.

You can make Isolated wired-only matrix systems in SR4; they just require connection via physical wire tap. - after you drop that tap though you can put a transmitter on it if you want, but generally speaking it would be VR only. basically this means no peripherals to spoof messages to, until you get into the tap, and since you're in the system at that point you may as well do it from inside.

SR3 assumes the hacker is always offsite unless the system is isolated, as noted however.

unless you're running in 2062 timeline wise though, I'd recommend just redoing the matrix as the modern wireless design.
Nol
QUOTE (Jericho Alar @ Dec 2 2009, 08:30 PM) *
You can make Isolated wired-only matrix systems in SR4; they just require connection via physical wire tap. - after you drop that tap though you can put a transmitter on it if you want, but generally speaking it would be VR only. basically this means no peripherals to spoof messages to, until you get into the tap, and since you're in the system at that point you may as well do it from inside.

Though running completely wired only matrix systems in SR4 has a tendency to annoy your players. However its perfectly reasonable to use wired connections and isolated wired-only networks as part of a bigger system.
Jericho Alar
QUOTE (Nol @ Dec 2 2009, 09:01 PM) *
Though running completely wired only matrix systems in SR4 has a tendency to annoy your players. However its perfectly reasonable to use wired connections and isolated wired-only networks as part of a bigger system.

If I remember the particular run correctly (it's been several years) they're going dragon hideout diving. If they're not expecting to be at least a little annoyed by the defenses...
Malachi
QUOTE (Necronbob @ Dec 2 2009, 05:21 PM) *
I'm planning to run the "Knowledge" scenario out of "Survival of the Fittest," but I will be using the 4A rules. I don't think I've completely wrapped my head around how the wireless matrix works, and I was hoping some of you could help me figure out how to use it/describe it.

Would Mount Shasta be connected to the Matrix at large, or would its remote location mean it is separated. If it is separated, what would happen once the PCs' commlinks get into range? A more general Matrix question is whether the hacker could just stay home and do any necessary hacking from Seattle -- is there some reason that the hacker needs to be on scene? The scenario says that two technomancers are in the system at any given time. Would they only respond if the system notices the hacker accessing the node or could they take more active roles in looking for intruders?

I guess I'm just looking for advice on how to use the matrix successfully. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Mount Shasta might be connected to the Matrix at large, but it would probably be connected through an extremely tough "chokepoint" system, and the players would likely know this. The adventure describes the target system as being off the Matrix (in SR3) so it stands to reason that it would be so in SR4. The only tweak I would make is to not make the target machine completely wireless disabled, but just give it an extremely short signal range. Basically, once they are within the same room as the computer, they can connect to it wirelessly. That avoids the annoyance of having to wire up to it once they are there, but also allows them to be creative in connecting to the system like using some bug-sized drone (dragging a cable) to crawl through the HVAC system and into signal range of the target computer.
The Jake
QUOTE (Jericho Alar @ Dec 3 2009, 02:30 AM) *

SR3 assumes the hacker is always offsite unless the system is isolated, as noted however.

unless you're running in 2062 timeline wise though, I'd recommend just redoing the matrix as the modern wireless design.

Dunno about your idea of redoing it as wireless, but otherwise I agree. You still then have to manage the headaches of explaining how RTGs, LTGs and Matrix Searches used to work Ala SR3 style. Such a retrofit isn't really worth it IMHO.

- J.
Jericho Alar
QUOTE (The Jake @ Dec 5 2009, 01:03 AM) *
Dunno about your idea of redoing it as wireless, but otherwise I agree. You still then have to manage the headaches of explaining how RTGs, LTGs and Matrix Searches used to work Ala SR3 style. Such a retrofit isn't really worth it IMHO.

- J.

well, the wireless access would be into a killing jar or "chokepoint" in SR4 terminology. once through the false system you'd be in the real one. super sensitive stuff would be encrypted and/or hardwired just as it is in SR4 otherwise.

RTGs certainly still exist - they're just administered by MSPs rather than being mixed infrastructure like they are in our present world - I'd guess they serve as a sort of mesh of last resort - it's not feasible to expect that we wouldn't resort to wired backbones for very long distance traffic. (like, cross-continental)

I agree that LTGs probably don't still exist except perhaps as logical parts of commcodes. (I would expect that most customers still expect NA/UCAS-SEA-206-Az-tech to connect to the Aztech Pyramid in Downtown, for instance.)

I'm still not sure how SR4 matrix searches work SR4 style; let alone how you'd describe an SR3 style search...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012