Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oxy-Rush
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Lilt
According to the Oxy-Rush nanoware, a character with it can hold his breath until it runs-out. It does not give rules for them actually running-out though.

The only metric for that as far as I can tell is the rate at which the transient is nanites are filtered out-of the body :10% per day. The "Hold Breath" ability lasts even when the cyberware has reduced effect, thus it lasts until the cyberware is working at only 24% efficiency. If the character took no wounds, that would take over a week (7.5 days, 180 hours)

Anyone have their own limits on the functionality of the Oxy-Rush nanites?
Austere Emancipator
The fluff says "at least several hours". So if it came up, I'd say six hours. Although that still sounds like a heck of a lot of oxygen... But I have no idea how oxygen the body actually uses, and I don't think my players do either, so that's not a problem.
Jason Farlander
To be honest, this has never come up because I've never had a player buy them. But yeah... if it were to come up in game, I would probably rule that each hour the character holds his or her breath uses up 10% of the original dose of nanites. Forcing the nanites to be the sole provider of oxygen to the body should wear them out rather quickly, and, as a transient system, they have no means of self-replenishment.
Rev
Human oxygen consumption:

At rest 0.3l oxygen / kg body weight/hour.
After eating 0.45
Walking 0.6
Sprinting 3

So 0.4g/kg/hr resting
Maybe 0.6g/kg/hr averaged over a day?

A 100kg man (a street sam, so slightly big) thus consumes 1.44kg of oxygen per day.

So yea, 6 hours might be reasonable for light activity.

A week sounds like way too much (10kg of oxygen stored?).

Presuming I did not screw up these calculations along the way.
Req
The average adult at rest inhales and exhales something like 7 or 8 liters (about one-fourth of a cubic foot) of air per minute. That totals something like 11,000 liters of air (2,800 cubic feet) in a day.

The air that is inhaled is about 20-percent oxygen, and the air that is exhaled is about 15-percent oxygen, so about 5-percent of the volume of air is consumed in each breath and converted to carbon dioxide. Therefore, a human being uses about 550 liters of pure oxygen (150 cubic feet) per day.

A person who is exercising obviously uses a lot more oxygen than that.

So that's for a person at rest. Shadowrunners are usually doing adventurous things that get their heart rate up, and O2 consumption along with it. Jeezus, 550 liters. You've got about 8 liters of total blood volume IIRC.

The rest of this may be totally on crack, it's been a long time since I had basic physics, but: assuming the totality of your blood was replaced by the little "diamondoid bottles" that make up OxyRush, they'd need to be holding air at about 69 atmospheres of pressure, or about 1000psi, to give you a day's supply of sitting on your ass. A reasonable percentage of blood volume and remembering to account for the size of the nanites themselves would dramatically raise that pressure, maybe 10- or 20-fold, maybe more? Modern, high-quality aluminum SCUBA tanks can handle 3000 psi, and I've heard of some crazy ones that can take 4350, for what that's worth.

Anyway. If someone tried to buy these in my game, I'd have to do some thinking as to how to adapt them. Anyone who actually knows what they're talking about, feel free to chime in. smile.gif

edit: damn. That's some good simul-posting, right there. wink.gif
Rev
Hey at least our numbers are pretty close, 550l per day == 0.22l/hour/kg (assuming 100kg person). Mine was 0.3l/h/kg. Since 100kg is a bit high for an average, they are almost exactly the same.
Req
Well, that's something. If we screwed up the math, at least we screwed up in the same way. smile.gif

edit: I couldn't find that info as to consumption when active - the 10fold increase between 0.3l/kg/hr vs 3l/kg/hr hints even more at the difficulty of storing much O2 in gas phase. I wonder if there's some other way to store it; liquid is probably out from the temperature. Some sort of oxygen-containing compound that can react to release O2? A lot of wasted space storing all those other molecules though...

Unless the nanites can handle a hundred thousand or more PSI, I'm really skeptical about these things. smile.gif
last_of_the_great_mikeys
*Imagines the oral sex implications of Oxy Rush...*
Deep Blue
What happens when one of these nanites ruptures in a brain capillary?
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (last_of_the_great_mikeys)
*Imagines the oral sex implications of Oxy Rush...*

Force 1 quickened oxygenate spell is more potent.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012