Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another Character Build 400BP System
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Blackb1rd
Updated Below.
The Jake
A shapeshifter face with no Assensing or Unarmed Combat?

- J.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (The Jake @ Dec 8 2009, 09:50 PM) *
A shapeshifter face with no Assensing or Unarmed Combat?

- J.

Yeah... that is a little odd isn't it...

Keep the Faith
Blackb1rd
Thanks to karoline this has been edited, the shapeshifter is now an adept with kinesics, and improved ability and rapid healing. He is also affected by SURGE with the Glamor and Canines Qualities as well as the Vestigial tail and extravagent eyes qualities. Needless to say fi you meet him on the street your not going to forget him.

I sacrificed assensing to pick up kinesics for the social modifier, i am still thinkin about working unarmed combat into it all,
Blackb1rd
Negative Qualities:
Wanted: Hunted for Pelt +10BP
Weak Immune System +5BP
Distinctive Style: Blood red tribal tattoo that extends from the left forearm, up the shoulder and onto the neck, visible in Animal and Human forms. (Also affects the character due to Glamour SURGE quality) +10BP
Paranoia +10BP
Metatype: Shapeshifter, Black Jaguar, Shift (Human), (Allergy Silver Severe, Vulnerability Silver) 65BP
Positive Qualities:
Adept 5BP
Class II SURGE 10BP
Linguist 5BP (1/2 time to learn languages, +2 to all language skills)
First Impression 5BP (+2 on any social tests at first meeting)
Attributes:
Body 5 20BP
Agility 6 10BP
Reaction 5 30BP
Strength 4 10BP
Charisma 5 40BP
Intuition 4 30BP
Logic 3 20BP
Willpower 3 20BP
Edge 3 20BP
Magic 3 (10BP, 1 for Shifter 1 for Adept)
Adept Powers:
Kinesics 3 (1.5M) +3 to social tests, making and resisting
Improved Ability: Con +2 (0.50M)
Improved Ability: Negotiation +2 (0.50M)
Rapid Healing 2 +2 to body for all healing tests
SURGE Qualities:
Positive:
Glamour +3 to all social tests
Fangs
Negative:
Vestigial Tail
Extravagant Eyes: Eyes are of a deep crimson color
Skills:
Influence Skill Group 4 40BP
Con & Negotiation 6 w/ Adept Power
Pistols 4 18BP Specialization Semi-Automatics
Disguise 2 8BP
Unarmed Combat 3 12BP
Shadowing 3 12BP
Blades 3 14BP Specialization: Katana
Forgery 3 12BP
Dodge 3 12BP
Knowledge Skills: 21 Free Points
Professional:
Translator 4
Interests:
Fine Cuisine 3
Fine Restaurants 1
Language Skills:
English 4(6)
Japanese 3(5)
German 3(5)
Arabic 3(5)
Gear: 35,000 Nuyen 7BP
Large Black Suitcase 250¥
Katana (STR/2 +3) 1000 ¥
Morrissey Alta (5P, AP-1, Built in Laser Sight) 850¥
Advanced Safety System 600¥
Silencer 200¥
10 Spare Clips 120¥
Fairlight Caliban Commlink 8000¥
Novatech Navi OS 1500¥
Agent 4 5,500¥
Subvocal Microphone 50¥
Form Fitting Body Armor 1600¥
Thermal Damping 6 3000¥
Chemical Protection 4 1000¥
Jet Black Suit from the Berwick Line W/ Blood Red Silk Tie 3100 Nuyen
Rating 5 Fake SIN (Kevin Allen) 5000¥ Personal: Professional Freelance Translator
Rating 5 Fake Gun License 500¥, Allen
Rating 5 Concealed Carry License 500¥, Allen

TygerTyger
OK, I am new here, but something seems out of kilter there. You have spent 10 Bp to add 1 rank to your magic attribute, noting (10BP, 1 for Shifter 1 for Adept) . I don't think it works that way. Both Adept Quality and the Shapeshifter Magic section say you start with a Magic Attribute of 1, not that you add 1 to your Magic Attribute.

Though I am sure those more experienced than I will comment on that.

I like the concept overall though. Should be interesting for you and your GM.
Karoline
Should point out that the point of magic gained from being a shifter doesn't stack with the point from being an adept. Both say they give you a magic rating of one, not that they increase your magic rating by one.

Also, fast healing affecting your regeneration tests (Not sure if that is why you got it or not) is up for grabs via GM fiat. Technically regeneration is a regeneration test, not a healing test, so it technically doesn't qualify, but it is a fairly sound argument that you heal faster regardless of what form the healing comes in, and should thus extend to regeneration as well.

Oh, and rating 5 SINs have an availability of 15, which is outside the standard for starting characters.

Oh again smile.gif You might want to consider the linguist adept power as well. It lets you pick up rating 1 language skills for free, and also halves the learning time, meaning you can pick up new languages (and then get a quick +2 boost to them) and then improve on them in 1/4th the normal time.

Also, may want to consider a cheaper commlink. one with stats around 3 is generally sufficient for non-hackers, and is a better deal (The high end ones charge you more than the individual parts are worth, while the middle ones are the same price or slightly off in one direction or the other)

And finally, for the points you put into blades, you could direct them to unarmed and raise your magic by one to get some of the damage increasing adept abilities. That'd let you walk around unarmed, and be less reliant on a weapon, which is good for if you are forced to shift for some reason. Don't forget that you use the same unarmed skill to punch someone as to claw/bite them, and to my knowledge adept powers that affect unarmed combat should carry over to animal form.

Okay, think that's all I have for you for now smile.gif
Blackb1rd
Alright, thanks all for the continued suggestions especially you Karoline. I see your point on the unarmed combat thing, as far as SINs go our GM doesnt place the restrictions that are in the RAW on them. He believes that it is so hard to get around in the Sixth World without one that its a nescessity to have a good one.
Karoline
QUOTE (Blackb1rd @ Dec 9 2009, 12:58 PM) *
Alright, thanks all for the continued suggestions especially you Karoline.

It's praise like that which makes me wish I was a cat so I could lick my paw, then give a dignified look that says "Of course my suggestions were good, I'm basically perfection personified." nyahnyah.gif

But really, I'm just happy to help smile.gif

I understand about the SINs, some people run them differently. I've had some GMs that basically say as long as you have a rating 4 it is going to be fine unless you are under extreme scrutiny, and a 5 is basically as good as real. I'm not entirely sure where that left a 6 mind you, but the idea was as long as you had something decent you didn't have to worry about a bad roll getting you found out at the local stuffer shack.
Patrick the Gnome
A small note. If I was your GM I'd be wary about letting you use extravagant eyes as a negative metagenetic quality for a leopard shifter, as they already keep their cat eyes while in human form and therefore take those social penalties naturally. If you wanted to take red eyes for purely flavor reasons, I'd allow it as a changeling character but you really can't have two different levels of extravagant eyes and expect to get a BP bonus for them. Also, as the face of your group, are you sure you should be taking all of these appearance modifiers? Many of them provide social penalties as of the the Freaks sidebar on page 110 in runner's companion. What's the corporate Johnson who works in a high rise office going to think of the red cat eyed, tribal tatooed, jaguar who comes to him to negotiate a shadowrunning deal?
Karoline
Hmm, I didn't remember shifters keeping their animal form's eyes.

The book says that you would keep the color, not any other appearance, so most shifters would be expected to have yellowish eyes (Most animals do to my knowledge, but I'm hardly an expert), but it doesn't say anything about keep any other part of the eye's appearance.
Blackb1rd
Patrick, what you've pointed out about the strange appearance of the character is what i like most about him. It's part of what makes him so unique, not only is a shifter but a changeling, a character not expected to rise socially in any way shape or form, but has and is incredibly good at it. His abilities in sleight of speech make people look beyond his outward physical appearance.
Patrick the Gnome
QUOTE (Karoline @ Dec 9 2009, 02:50 PM) *
Hmm, I didn't remember shifters keeping their animal form's eyes.

The book says that you would keep the color, not any other appearance, so most shifters would be expected to have yellowish eyes (Most animals do to my knowledge, but I'm hardly an expert), but it doesn't say anything about keep any other part of the eye's appearance.

page 66 Runner's Companion

"Jaguar or ocelot shapeshifters are natives of Latin America, particularly Amazonia and Aztlan, where they are idolized by many citizens for their place in native mythology. Amazonia in particular is said to have recruited some jaguar shapeshifters into its intelligence services, while others whisper that Aztlan's Jaguar Guards capture and hunt jaguar shapeshifters for their ceremonies. Jaguar shapeshifters in human form retain the slit-like iris and reflective layer in their eyes."

Shapeshifters all retain some indication of their nature in their human form and it's hard for a shifter to hide itself from people who know what to look for.

Edit: Also, at Blackb1rd, I see what you're saying about the flavor of the character, but I'm just saying that shifter's get enough of a social penalty without compounding it with having red eyes or tribal tatoos. You're right that it's cool that his character has ascended his social weaknesses via his skill with speech, but that still means he'll have to put up with that painful -3 freaks penalty from the ignorant and bigoted.
Blackb1rd
QUOTE (Patrick the Gnome @ Dec 9 2009, 08:05 PM) *
page 66 Runner's Companion

Jaguar shapeshifters in human form retain the slit-like iris and reflective layer in their eyes."

Shapeshifters all retain some indication of their nature in their human form and it's hard for a shifter to hide itself from people who know what to look for.

Re-read rules, this is true, however i also did a quick google search and to me a jaguars eyes don't look radically different from a humans as is, in fact in most of the pictures i saw the "slit-like iris" is very subdued, IMO someone would really have to know what they were looking at to tell the difference, much less what the character actually is.

Case and point: http://www.wallpapers247.com/images/wallpa...768-636290.jpeg

As for the character's tail, it can be easily covered by a greatcoat or something of the sort making it unnoticable in social situations, furthermore a tattoo, is not that uncommon in SR, even if it is pretty extravagant. Alot of people have them, hell im sure alot of Corp Execs have them, at least relatively speaking. You'd have to find someone pretty conservative that's not going to accept him, once again that's just my opinion though. If you were a Johnson that needed a job done and got into contact with a professional running team wiht a great reputation would you turn them down just because the face has a different eye color (Again, alot of people use theatrical contacts to do this to their own eyes in SR as well) and a tattoo?

Once again, these are all just my personal opinions.

Patrick the Gnome
QUOTE (Blackb1rd @ Dec 9 2009, 03:52 PM) *
Re-read rules, this is true, however i also did a quick google search and to me a jaguars eyes don't look radically different from a humans as is, in fact in most of the pictures i saw the "slit-like iris" is very subdued, IMO someone would really have to know what they were looking at to tell the difference, much less what the character actually is.

Case and point: http://www.wallpapers247.com/images/wallpa...768-636290.jpeg

As for the character's tail, it can be easily covered by a greatcoat or something of the sort making it unnoticable in social situations, furthermore a tattoo, is not that uncommon in SR, even if it is pretty extravagant. Alot of people have them, hell im sure alot of Corp Execs have them, at least relatively speaking. You'd have to find someone pretty conservative that's not going to accept him, once again that's just my opinion though. If you were a Johnson that needed a job done and got into contact with a professional running team wiht a great reputation would you turn them down just because the face has a different eye color (Again, alot of people use theatrical contacts to do this to their own eyes in SR as well) and a tattoo?

Once again, these are all just my personal opinions.

I'm not saying that the Johnson would outright reject the guy for looking weird, after all he's a shadowrunner. I'm just saying that the -3 freaks penalty would apply more often for more people if he had all of those abnormalities about him. And I don't think it's the slit iris that would be the most unusual about his eyes but more the reflective layer in his eyes which would basically make his iris cover his entire eye, as seen here

http://www.rusticmooncrafts.com/files/ACEO...-JAGUAR-web.jpg
Blackb1rd
From Runners Companion:

FREAKS
"While body modification has come a long way, the
extreme modifications changelings often express are
shocking and disturbing to many. Consequently, some
particularly glaring Metagenics qualities
, both positive
and negative, provide social penalties. Such qualities inflict
a –3 dice pool modifier on most Social Skill Tests not
performed over the Matrix, but offer a +2 dice pool modifier
to Intimidation Tests. The effects of social modifiers
from multiple Metagenics qualities are not cumulative."

I read this as qualities that are incredibly obvious such as Animal Pelage, Bone Spikes, Claws, Frong Tongue, Gills, Goring Horn, Dermal Alteration, Gills, Marsupial Pouch, Photometabolism, Proboscis, Satyr Legs, Shiva Arms, Bioluminescense, Cyclopean Eye, Feathers, Insectoid Features, Scales, Third Eye etcetera.

Furthermore the rules for Extravagant Eyes State:

Extravagant Eyes
Bonus: 5 BP
"The character’s irises, whites, or possibly even entire eyes
take on an unusual color. For example, a character may develop
bright green irises, both eyes may turn light silver, or one eye may
turn white and one black. Many onlookers will simply assume the
character has cybereyes. Altered eye color has no effect on the
character’s vision."

I dont think this qualifies as a particularly glaring metagenetic quality, furthermore i still believe that the vestigial tail can be easily hidden, and i will apply the appropriate modifiers if for some reason it isnt. Also, i swapped out fangs with thermographic vision which is something i've been juggling with since the beginning. So, assuming the tail is hidden, the only real glaring item is the tattoo, and that already has a negative to it due to the Distinctive Style quality.
Karoline
blackb1rd's link is forbidden. I guess it is too graphic for my poor little eyes. frown.gif

That aside, there are (as usual) fairly conflicting statements. p66 indicates that a jaguar shifter would have slitted eyes, but later on on page 88 it states that shifters traits in human and animal form, specifying eye color, but not shape or anything like that.

You could easily say the Jaguar specific one overrides the shifter general one, but it doesn't say that the iris expands to cover the entire eye. The reflective layer is usually only going to be noticeable at night when the light shines on them in a particular way (I own cats, so I'm very used to seeing this, but only notice it at night). So yeah, if you know what you're looking for, you can spot a Jaguar shifter fairly easy by looking for the reflective layer, but often it isn't going to be very noticeable (And likely much less so with cybereyes and protective covers and contacts) so I think blackb1rd is justified in taking extravagant eyes. (Though I've had someone tell me off for taking the quality 'because people will just think you have cybereyes' to which I basically asked why it is in the book if it can't be taken, same with unusual hair color.)

Anyway, while yellow eyes that flash in the dark are fairly unusual, I'm sure that something truly extravagant will be far more than that and worth the disadvantage.

Oh, I noticed a lack of intimidation. Might be worth picking up a point of it, and trading out your canines for the bad vibe. Won't be up to the grade of your other social skills, but you can use it in a pinch (And all those things that are bad for social situations are good for intimidation, so good when dealing with the aforementioned bigots)
Blackb1rd
These are good suggestions Karoline, i believe that a character of his looks would give off a bit of of a nasty vibe any ways, i got rid of the points in disguise and replaced them with level 2 intimidation. I was misguided when i read the list of skills under Influence and thought it included intimidation lol. Anyways when choosing gear i like to shape it around the character. I figure it's about an NPC's perception, if you have a face that walks up toy uo wearing an expensive suit and commlink you can trust he's a professional because he's obviously getting paid well for the jobs he's been doing even if thats not really the actual case, it's about the NPc's perception.
BRodda
Cats eyes would not count for the Freak rule. They are a simple cosmetic modification and I'm sure there are TONS of people in the SR4 world who have them (even average ordinary people). I would say that if the tail was exposed then the -3 would be in effect; that's just not something you get done at the mall.
Karoline
I suppose, but commlinks aren't always visible, and it wouldn't be all that hard to doctor up a cheaper commlink to make it look expensive. But still, up to you, was just offering my little perspectives smile.gif

Yeah, intimidation not being included in the group is a bit of a throw.
Blackb1rd
Well, thanks again, your "little perspectives" are what helped make this character considerable better than what i started out with. smile.gif

And BRodda, you're correct, you just can't have a tail implanted at the local mall. Why would you want to anyways? Seems like a hassle to me. nyahnyah.gif

Anyways as far as i'm concerned this character is done.

Here are the final stats and all:

Negative Qualities:
Wanted: Hunted for Pelt +10BP
Weak Immune System +5BP
Distinctive Style: Blood red tribal tattoo that extends from the left forearm, up the shoulder and onto the neck, visible in Animal and Human forms. (Also affects the character due to Glamour SURGE quality) +10BP
Paranoia +10BP
Metatype: Shapeshifter, Black Jaguar, Shift (Human), (Allergy Silver Severe, Vulnerability Silver) 65BP
Positive Qualities:
Adept 5BP
Class II SURGE 10BP
Linguist 5BP (1/2 time to learn languages, +2 to all language skills)
First Impression 5BP (+2 on any social tests at first meeting)
Attributes:
Body 5 20BP
Agility 6 10BP
Reaction 5 30BP
Strength 4 10BP
Charisma 5 40BP
Intuition 4 30BP
Logic 3 20BP
Willpower 3 20BP
Edge 2 10BP
Magic 4 30BP
Adept Powers:
Kinesics 3 (1.5M) +3 to social tests, making and resisting
Improved Ability: Con +2 (0.50M)
Improved Ability: Negotiation +2 (0.50M)
Rapid Healing (0.50M) 2 +2 to body for all healing tests
Cool Resolve 3 (0.75M) Each level of the power adds one die to the adept’s dice pool for Opposed Tests involving Social Active skills in which he is the target/defender.

Linguistics (0.25M) Pick up language skills at rating 1 free, 1/2 time to learn languages (This combined with the linguist positive quality means new language skills automatically start at rating 3 and it takes 1/4 the time to improve them.)
SURGE Qualities:
Positive:
Glamour +3 to all social tests
Nasty Vibe +3 to Intimidation
Negative:
Vestigial Tail
Extravagant Eyes: Eyes are of a deep crimson color
Skills:
Influence Skill Group 4 40BP
Con & Negotiation 6 w/ Adept Power
Pistols 4 18BP Specialization Semi-Automatics
Intimidation 2 (5 with Nasty Vibe) 8BP
Unarmed Combat 4 16BP
Shadowing 3 12BP
Forgery 3 12BP
Dodge 3 12BP
Knowledge Skills: 21 Free Points
Professional:
Translator 4
Interests:
Fine Cuisine 3
Fine Restaurants 1
Language Skills:
English 4(6)
Japanese 3(5)
German 3(5)
Arabic 3(5)
Gear: 35,000 Nuyen 7BP
Black Suitcase 250¥
Morrissey Alta (5P, AP-1, Built in Laser Sight) 850¥
Advanced Safety System 600¥
Silencer 200¥
10 Spare Clips 120¥
Fairlight Caliban Commlink 8000¥
Novatech Navi OS 1500¥
Agent 4 5,500¥
Subvocal Microphone 50¥
Form Fitting Body Armor 1600¥
Thermal Damping 6 3000¥
Chemical Protection 4 1000¥
Jet Black Suit from the Berwick Line W/ Blood Red Silk Tie 3100 Nuyen
Rating 5 Fake SIN (Kevin Allen) 5000¥ Personal: Professional Freelance Translator
Rating 5 Fake Gun License 500¥, Allen
Rating 5 Concealed Carry License 500¥, Allen
BRodda
QUOTE (Blackb1rd @ Dec 9 2009, 05:49 PM) *
And BRodda, you're correct, you just can't have a tail implanted at the local mall. Why would you want to anyways? Seems like a hassle to me. nyahnyah.gif

Per Augmentation pg 62 its a Severe Modification, so it would cost some essence an require a trip to a good plastic surgeon and a short hospital stay. And trust me, there are probably tons of cat girls who would love to have their own kitty tails.

I would even get you a +2 on all social tests if they were in to cat people or trans-humans too. grinbig.gif
Karoline
QUOTE (BRodda @ Dec 9 2009, 05:58 PM) *
Per Augmentation pg 62 its a Severe Modification, so it would cost some essence an require a trip to a good plastic surgeon and a short hospital stay. And trust me, there are probably tons of cat girls who would love to have their own kitty tails.

Mew?

nyahnyah.gif

Anyway, I should point out that Linguistics and improved ability don't increase your actual rating, they simply provide a bonus to the affected skill (much like kinetics or a laser sight). It gets you the same net affect on DPs, but it is an important difference when attempting to raise skills.
Blackb1rd
I'm aware of that, that's why the modified values are in parentheses.
Karoline
Ah, alrighty, just saw that you'd written out the special comment for the con & negotiation. Guess it was just as a reminder (I know I always write the DPs for stuff at the bottom of my characters or I'd forget to add half their bonuses nyahnyah.gif)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012