Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternate Reality Games
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Platinum
I was poking around the web looking up old names, and came across Jordan Weisman's name. Turns out he was one of the first to use Alternate Reality Gaming as an artform and marketing medium.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of how to use this platform to run something shadowrunish? Does the Puppetmaster have to be involved in everything? I kind of have Shadowrun on the brain a lot lately and would love to run something that integrates the real world and Social media. (I already do geocaching which is a blast)

posted for more info
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternate_reality_game
pbangarth
I wonder how the futuristic technology (including magic) could be incorporated into a game that is played in the context of our present world. I understand that the internet would provide an environment that could be molded by the puppetmaster(s), but how would the players experience the not-yet-existent technology?
Platinum
Well, you could weave that into the story but not necessarily give the players those abilities. For example ... have video footage of someone geeking a cybered sammie, or pictures of someone conjuring an elemental or throwing a fireball. Of this this would be found by the players hacking servers to obtain the footage. The awakening is here, they are surpressing the evidence. For instance hacking a hospital's records to find there are already elven and dwarven children.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012