Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Criminal Organizations Playing Nice
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Mercer
5 Inspiring Acts of Kindness By Terrifying Criminal Syndicates

The Yakuza and the Somali pirates I thought were the most directly applicable.
Octopiii
The Hamas entry sounds a lot like the Poli-Humanis in SR. A benevolent charity, running soup kitchens, children's sports, charity shelters, and providing free education. A great organization, if you're human.
Mikado
QUOTE (Mercer @ Dec 18 2009, 11:51 AM) *

It is interesting to note that the Yakuza was a (relatively) benevolent organization when it was formed centuries ago. It was originally a group of peasants who got tired of the social situation they where in and banded together for support against the ruling class. Yes, they where still considered criminals but to other peasants they where the "Robin Hoods" of the day.
I don't find it difficult to fathom that they would be the first to respond to that sort of crisis. It is the exact reason why they where founded in the first place.

Interesting to note that a lot of "criminal organizations" started with similar intentions but where then warped by people getting power hungry.
Mercer
Interesting to note that a lot of "criminal organizations" started with similar intentions but where then warped by people getting power hungry.

The disturbing thing is that you can say that about pretty much anything in the history of human endeavor.
kzt
Very few of the really evil people in the world saw themselves as evil. Everyone thinks they are the good guy, doing the things that are necessary.
Mikado
QUOTE (kzt @ Dec 18 2009, 09:30 PM) *
Very few of the really evil people in the world saw themselves as evil. Everyone thinks they are the good guy, doing the things that are necessary.

One of My favorite quotes:
Good is a subjective term based on individual perception.
toturi
QUOTE (kzt @ Dec 19 2009, 10:30 AM) *

Yes, everyone does what is necessary, few people are honest enough to tell themselves what is necessary is evil.
Heath Robinson
Eh, these ain't all that exceptional. Homegrown organised criminal groups tend to be benevolent to their host neighbourhoods. After all, they are made of their host neighbourhoods in the most cases. Just the fact that they are willing to commit acts of dubious legality (and outright illegality) in the pursuit of profit does not make them less human, or less compassionate to those dear to them. The phrase is "don't shit where you eat".
AngelisStorm
QUOTE (Mikado @ Dec 19 2009, 01:09 AM) *
One of My favorite quotes:
Good is a subjective term based on individual perception.

Hmmm... doesn't really flow off the tongue well, does it?

QUOTE (toturi @ Dec 19 2009, 02:26 AM) *
Yes, everyone does what is necessary, few people are honest enough to tell themselves what is necessary is evil.

Seems like a self justifying statement: if it wasn't necessary, people wouldn't do it. Kinda the definition of the word necessary, isn't it? And necessary does not automatically equal evil.

How about: "Few people are honest enough to tell themselves when something necessary is evil.
toturi
QUOTE (AngelisStorm @ Dec 19 2009, 06:12 PM) *
Seems like a self justifying statement: if it wasn't necessary, people wouldn't do it. Kinda the definition of the word necessary, isn't it? And necessary does not automatically equal evil.

How about: "Few people are honest enough to tell themselves when something necessary is evil.

No, people could just do it without it being necessary.

And the necessary is evil, even though it may not be by definition. I am willing to admit that, are you? vegm.gif
Mikado
QUOTE (AngelisStorm @ Dec 19 2009, 05:12 AM) *
Hmmm... doesn't really flow off the tongue well, does it?

Well... It goes along well with the others...

"Would" is a subjective term contrary to fact.
"Good" is a subjective term based on individual perception.
Individual reality is based off the perceptions of others.

People always question the last one for some reason...

I think they flow just fine... but then again I have been using them for years.
Sengir
QUOTE (Mikado @ Dec 18 2009, 10:36 PM) *

I'd say it is fairly natural, people form some sort of vigilante groups to fight lawlessness or oppression, but eventually they will realize that nobody watches the watchme, so they can abuse their power as they want...that's the reason why I don't like Robin Hood types as PCs btw, being police, judge, and executioner in one person while remaining a good and moral person is just not realistic.
Mercer
Power corrupts, and all that. Although I heard an interesting turn of that phrase in an old tv movie about vampires, "Corruption empowers, and absolute corruption empowers absolutely."
etherial
QUOTE (Mercer @ Dec 18 2009, 11:51 AM) *
5 Inspiring Acts of Kindness By Terrifying Criminal Syndicates

I hate you. I just lost another 10 hours of my life to that damned website.
nezumi
This whole assumption that the Yakuza or whoever are simply 'evil' is a little... simplistic. Very black/white. These illegal groups make money by breaking a law, but that does not necessarily make them immoral people, and people are usually kind to their own communities.

The Mafia helped American forces operate in Italy. Herzegovnia survived against violent oppression in part by selling untaxed cigarettes. Triads donate heavily to local charities. Rarely can organizations survive withotu some sense of connection to their home neighborhood.
hobgoblin
iirc, the mafia for the longest time frowned on dealing drugs, as it was seen as to dirty or something.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012