Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Playing Help
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Adalan
Hey Guys,
I've just started a game and I need a little help with some of the basics. I've never played before, so I am just a tad confused. Here's the scenario:

I've been given a couple commlink ids that I want to do some data searching on. (Sorry if that's not the right "terms"). I know I have to roll, but for the life of me, I can't figure it out. I THINK that I roll 10 die: I have a Logic score of 4, the Data Search skill at 3 and the Browse program at 3.

Am I on the right track?
JoelHalpern
By the book (Rules as Written, RAW), what you are describing does not depend upon logic.
As you say, it is a datasearch. Therefore, you roll Data Search (skill) + Browse (program) for 6 dice.
If you do this in hot-sim VR, you get an extra 2 dice (for cool.gif.
Normally this kind of search would be an extended tests, with a threshold set by your GM.

Yours,
Joel Halpern
tagz
Typically, matrix actions just use the program rating and your skill. They don't normally use your attributes.

So a data search action would be 6 dice, 3 from Browse and 3 from Data Search skill.

That's not to say attributes don't matter for a hacker though. If you want to do any programming, know-tests, resisting biofeedback, etc, you'll need to use attributes.

Hope that was helpful.
ShadowPavement
Try using this. It helped me out a lot when I needed to figure out the basics of the hacking rules.

Matrix Basics
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012