Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sunglasses-chic accessory or sign you've not cool?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Snow_Fox
OK I was thinking. There's no official mod I've found that lets your eyes adjust to bright light, and by that I mean sun light like some sunglasses do now, not flare compensation, but there's no reason to think you couldn't easily have cyber or bioware to let your eyes act like sunglasses. And in theory something that is so obviously cosmetic would only be afforded by those with excess income, BUT would they? Are sun glasses an accessory that makes a statement more than not needing it? I mean sure the latest sim starlet can pose in birght sun and not squint-or get career shortening frown lines but would she, or would she still be posing with the hotest brand name eye wear (in stead of eyeware) that you too can buy. Like how on the red carpet they get asked "who are you wearing?"

The same for watches- sure there's even cyber ware that gives you a clock read out on your eye, "How can you be late? You've got a frakking alarm clock on your eyeball!!!" but would that replace the delecate tiffany watch, set with diamonds or the Rolex executive in platnium.

I mean we don't need cufflinks on men's shirts, they have buttons now, but for formal dress they still wear cufflinks. On the other hand we, women, don't need garterbelts for hose and usually even for formal occassions don't use them because technology has made them outdated.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Dec 20 2009, 09:54 AM) *
OK I was thinking. There's no official mod I've found that lets your eyes adjust to bright light, and by that I mean sun light like some sunglasses do now, not flare compensation, but there's no reason to think you couldn't easily have cyber or bioware to let your eyes act like sunglasses. And in theory something that is so obviously cosmetic would only be afforded by those with excess income, BUT would they? Are sun glasses an accessory that makes a statement more than not needing it? I mean sure the latest sim starlet can pose in birght sun and not squint-or get career shortening frown lines but would she, or would she still be posing with the hotest brand name eye wear (in stead of eyeware) that you too can buy. Like how on the red carpet they get asked "who are you wearing?"

The same for watches- sure there's even cyber ware that gives you a clock read out on your eye, "How can you be late? You've got a frakking alarm clock on your eyeball!!!" but would that replace the delecate tiffany watch, set with diamonds or the Rolex executive in platnium.

I mean we don't need cufflinks on men's shirts, they have buttons now, but for formal dress they still wear cufflinks. On the other hand we, women, don't need garterbelts for hose and usually even for formal occassions don't use them because technology has made them outdated.

You know, I do not really see fashion disappearing with the advent of magic and 'ware... in fact, it may even be more important now, as it will distinguish between the haves and have-nots even more... at least in my opinion... I mean, really, how many people will go all out for the Heritage Line from Zoe (Especially since you get an exclusive one year useage for uniqueness if they custom design it for you before it becomes available for public consupmtion)? Only the very Rich and Famous will do so, and it is a mark of distinction that they do...

Keep the Faith
Snow_Fox
My point is that I know the haves can afford to get the bio/cyber modifications but the issue is would they? You can't really show off that bioware as you pose on the red carpet. infact that might be more of a scandal - Sythia morris, hot model for XO fiound to keep her shape by using expensive dietware, but they can pose with high end accessories that the have nots can aspire too.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Dec 20 2009, 06:54 PM) *
There's no official mod I've found that lets your eyes adjust to bright light, and by that I mean sun light like some sunglasses do now, not flare compensation, but there's no reason to think you couldn't easily have cyber or bioware to let your eyes act like sunglasses.

Actually, that is what flare compensation is about, especially the bioware version.
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Dec 20 2009, 02:45 PM) *
Actually, that is what flare compensation is about, especially the bioware version.

I agree with Rotbart, FC is exaclty what you want.
Moirdryd
People will still have the flashy showy accessories. Although things like P-secs and wristphones will probably incorporate the watches too, replacing them yet still being visable.

Cosmetic mods can be done to be showy too. Cybereyes especially. Also things like skin tinting and other tricks too.
hobgoblin
one thing about sunglasses, especially the very dark ones, is that they do more then protect against bright lights. They also hide the main expressive area of our face.

say a stressed out person may have eyes jumping around, but you cant tell if they are behind one way or dark shades. and dont bother trying to stare down someone in mirrorshades wink.gif

and hell, i would expect famous people to look like walking billboards in AR, with all manner of implants and similar broadcasting their existence on all channels, just like how someone famous may show up in some ad to endorse a product. Think of it like how a race car is covered in sponsorship logos, or various products are placed in movies and tv series.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Dec 20 2009, 05:54 PM) *

tho i understand they are making something of a comeback in some circles as a pure fashion item, rather then a tool towards being fashionable in body form or similar...
Snow_Fox
Only in private with my husband on special occasions. embarrassed.gif
Ancient History
I wear my sunglasses at night
So I can, so I can
Keep track of the visions in my eyes

While she's deceiving me
It cuts my security
Has she got control of me
I turn to her and say

Don't switch the blade
On the guy in shades, oh-no
Don't masquerade
With the guy in shades, oh-no
I can't believe it
'Cause you got it made
With the guy in shades, oh-no
Falconer
Yeah, if bare essentials... flare comp is exactly what you're talking about.

If you mean, you're looking for the outward signs for others to see... there's no reason I can see you couldn't have dynamic tinting contacts or other similar cosmetic effects on gear. Even stuff like you have on cars, which allows you to let people see a fake image of what's inside the windows (enhanced image screen modification), I could see being done to glasses for a reasonable fee...

Lets' also not forget that ruthenium polymers aren't only used for camo... you could turn someone into a walking billboard or colour shifting peacock with one of those.

That's without even touching AR artwork.
Dreadlord
Considering that according to Arsenal, steampunk is coming into fashion again in the early 2070s, eye wear is going to be extremely bulky, ie. goggles!, for the fashionistas.
etherial
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Dec 20 2009, 09:22 PM) *
So I can, so I can

The future's so bright, I have to wear shades.
toturi
Check the desert and polar sections of (IIRC) Arsenal. Not shades per se, but I think they do have goggles and contact lenses.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Dec 20 2009, 09:22 PM) *
So I can, so I can

QUOTE (etherial @ Dec 21 2009, 12:24 AM) *
The future's so bright, I have to wear shades.

t's 106 miles to Bug City, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blade
Anna Navarre: You're wearing sunglasses on a night operation?
JC Denton: My vision is augmented.
hobgoblin
i was wondering when that quote would show up wink.gif
nezumi
Hrm... I don't know. Rich people wear cufflinks, but the funny thing is, poor people don't. How often do rich people wear the same sort of thing poor people do (when dressing up), when they have the option of getting something more elaborate? Most people won't be able to afford cybereyes. They'll still wear $5 sunglasses they picked up at CVS. Most people with bad eyesight will still get eyeglasses as well. If you see someone wearing glasses, most likely it's because he couldn't afford to get his eyeballs replaced with cyber. At the price cybereyes run for, I could only really see them becoming a middle class accessory for those with actual, medical need (bad eyesight, blindness, etc.) No middle class person is going to pay out 10k for sunglasses.

However, if it becomes super common in the upper class, I could see the richer upper class turning back to glasses just to mark themselves as different. As long as there aren't any poor people in sight, of course.

It's also worth mentioning that some faces really benefit from glasses. Just like hats, some heads just need a hat. But I suppose in those cases they can also afford biosculpting to fix that. Hrm... Good question!
Fuchs
Wristwatches can very well get replaced by portable phones in the near future, among the younger generation. I did not believe it when I read an article claiming this, until my younger brother told me he hasn't had a watch in years.

Basic cybereyes cost 500 Nuyen - cheap for anyone in the middle class, not really limited to medical cases.
etherial
QUOTE (nezumi @ Dec 21 2009, 08:49 AM) *
Hrm... I don't know. Rich people wear cufflinks, but the funny thing is, poor people don't.

Well, no. I wear cuff links. People, rich or poor, in tuxedos, wear cuff links. It's a royal pain to get a shirt with french cuffs that isn't a tux shirt. So while rich people wear tuxedos more often, even they will rarely be wearing links for their cuffs.
Chrome Tiger
QUOTE (Fuchs @ Dec 21 2009, 09:12 AM) *
Wristwatches can very well get replaced by portable phones in the near future, among the younger generation. I did not believe it when I read an article claiming this, until my younger brother told me he hasn't had a watch in years.

Despite my massive watch collection, 99.9% of the time I resort to my iPhone (aka commlink) for my time-keeping needs. I wear a watch when I am going out or need to look spiffy for a client meeting. It is truly a fashion accessory for me now and not so much a functional one.

As for sunglasses, I would like to believe that there will always be a need for the style that shades provide.
Earlydawn
I got beat to the Deus Ex quote frown.gif

On the topic, I'd say that the most basic level flare compensation could probably eliminate anything the sun could throw at you, but for reasonable-level glare, basic glasses / cybereyes should be able to do it off the shelf.
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ Dec 21 2009, 04:42 AM) *
t's 106 miles to Bug City, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.

Thank Goddess, the others were making me feel old.
nezumi
QUOTE (Fuchs @ Dec 21 2009, 09:12 AM) *
Basic cybereyes cost 500 Nuyen - cheap for anyone in the middle class, not really limited to medical cases.

What's this SR4 jibba-jabba, foo? $500? Crazy talk!

(Although clearly, in your game, the division may be different, and it's quite logical then that many middle-class people will have cybereyes, and the rich will go back to wearing sunglasses as a sign of style and wealth.)
BRodda
QUOTE (nezumi @ Dec 22 2009, 09:20 AM) *
What's this SR4 jibba-jabba, foo? $500? Crazy talk!

(Although clearly, in your game, the division may be different, and it's quite logical then that many middle-class people will have cybereyes, and the rich will go back to wearing sunglasses as a sign of style and wealth.)

That and a lot of wageslaves might be REQUIRED to have cyber as part of their job contract. And it would help add to the paranoia about keeping your job if they are threatening to repo your eyes. (Blind Mag anyone?)

Chances are that your standard wageslave is given a company comlink and some cyber that is required for the job. People tend to think about things in a non-corporate mentality.

Lets take your common receptionist. She has her work issued comlink to answer calls routed to the front door. She has a set of cybereyes for a few reasons.
1) Image link. Without the image link she will have a hard time doing her job. It will be needed to bring up schedules and to do any sort of basic computer work without being tied to a terminal. She can also get AR allerts from security or MAD scanners and the like.

2) Camera. Lets face it there is no reason NOT to have a camera in every ones eyes at work. For one the spider can have the feed of everyone she looks at run through a facial recognition software and send her back alerts or even call security for her. They can also be used to send images of the people at the desk to send to people for confirmation "Mr. Johnson your 3pm is here. <pic>"

3)Knowsofts: There is no reason she should not be able to access a LARGE corporate library of etiquette and Lingosofts. Its her job to make a good first impression and this makes that nearly foolproof.

You get the general idea. On a large scale it is very cost effective and would create a much more effective worker. If this technology existed today I could get a PO cut today from the president of the company to pay for it.
DireRadiant
Shades are another layer of armor between the world and my eyeball. Besides, it keeps the dust and wind out.
hobgoblin
to bad sr4 do not feature the implantable kind...
Chrome Tiger
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Dec 23 2009, 05:56 PM) *
Shades are another layer of armor between the world and my eyeball. Besides, it keeps the dust and wind out.

Oh, I agree with this completely! I speak from experience saying that shades are your best friend when you are whipping down the highway on a motorcycle in the middle of bug season. I took a huge bug in the throat once, just below the line of the helmet. Had that hit my shades, I *might* have been okay. Without the shades, I would be wearing the pirate patch... P) YAR!

I do not see cybereyes protecting well against the impact of a bug at 160mph. Add a layer of impact-resistant mirrorshades, and you are good to go.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Dec 23 2009, 04:41 PM) *
to bad sr4 do not feature the implantable kind...

They do, they are called Protective Covers, and they can be tinted or mirrored if you like...

Keep the Faith
Kovu Muphasa
I have 2 Characters that were Glasses.
-The 1st is a Burned-Out Mage with “Chrome Cyber-Eyes”, these are hidden by Terminator Style Sun Glasses. Partially to hide the fact he has them and the other is for the intimidation factor when he pulls them off.

The other is a Hacker who is still in high school [Renruka Brat] and needed glasses, when he got new eyes he still wears his old glasses as part of his “disguise”. They are the Photo-Reactive type.

hobgoblin
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Dec 24 2009, 02:20 AM) *
They do, they are called Protective Covers, and they can be tinted or mirrored if you like...

they are still in there? Seems i have not read the gear tables enough...
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Dec 24 2009, 07:07 AM) *
they are still in there? Seems i have not read the gear tables enough...

They are indeed... In the Eyeware Table, Page 341 of SR4A

Keep the Faith
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Dec 26 2009, 04:27 AM) *
They are indeed... In the Eyeware Table, Page 341 of SR4A

Keep the Faith

and even so in SR4. Hell, it gets two entries, first one inside the eyeware table, and then its own under cosmetics.

silly panda...
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Dreadlord @ Dec 20 2009, 09:20 PM) *
Considering that according to Arsenal, steampunk is coming into fashion again in the early 2070s, eye wear is going to be extremely bulky, ie. goggles!, for the fashionistas.

Added benefit! Tank goggles aren't just fashionable, they keep inconveniences such as blood, gas and little flecks of bone from dripping into your eyes.
hobgoblin
why did i envision that person with a manic glee on his face, while firing a LMG?!
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Chrome Tiger @ Dec 23 2009, 06:46 PM) *
Oh, I agree with this completely! I speak from experience saying that shades are your best friend when you are whipping down the highway on a motorcycle in the middle of bug season. I took a huge bug in the throat once, just below the line of the helmet. Had that hit my shades, I *might* have been okay. Without the shades, I would be wearing the pirate patch... P) YAR!

I do not see cybereyes protecting well against the impact of a bug at 160mph. Add a layer of impact-resistant mirrorshades, and you are good to go.

Yeah, I oncehad a truck in front of me htrow up a load of cement powder when it hit a bump. I was completely blinded. somehow I kept calm and pulled over to the side of the road. The glasses were a complete write off. They lookedl ike they had been swabbeed with sand paper-better them than my eyes
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012