Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More real life DNI
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Rayzorblades
http://www.mayoclinic.org/news2009-jax/5538.html There's not much I can add to this other than why don't we have brain controlled everything already? This technology has been around since at least the early 90s.
Xahn Borealis
I'm excited about DNI's coming out, but I'm worried the tech's going to be unwieldy at first and take years of refinement until posting on Dumpshock only takes a Free Action. Just look at voice recognition nowadays. How long has that been around? I told my new Windows 7 laptop the other day to write 'I am showing off with voice recognition' in Wordpad and it just did a ':)' smiley at me!
MikeKozar
"Well, Mr. Kozar, we recieved your manuscript, and we're all very excited."

"Great to hear it! That new DNI word processor really let me get my thoughts down on paper in a snap."

"That's great! Just great. Look, some of the editors here wanted me to ask you about...well, the chapter about the Batman."

"I don't remember a chapter about Batman. I mean, it's a cyberpunk reimagining of the Meiji restoration set on the mars colonies. There's no Batman."

"No, I get that, but...well, pull up chapter 16."

"... Huh. Look at that."

"..yeah."

"It's like 30 pages long, too."

"You know we don't have the rights to the Batman, right?"

"No, no, I get it...you should just...you know, edit that out. It's the DNI, my mind must have wandered."

"For thirty pages."

"Yep."

"Well, Mr. Kozar, it's a shame we can't use it, I thought it was pretty insightful."

"Thanks, Jack. Were there any other sections the editors wanted to look over?"

"Well, there is the seven page soliloquy they're calling the 'Tits are Great' Speech."
Rayzorblades
QUOTE (MikeKozar @ Dec 20 2009, 05:18 PM) *
"Well, there is the seven page soliloquy they're calling the 'Tits are Great' Speech."

Well that's going on my Facebook.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Dec 21 2009, 12:58 AM) *
I'm excited about DNI's coming out, but I'm worried the tech's going to be unwieldy at first and take years of refinement until posting on Dumpshock only takes a Free Action. Just look at voice recognition nowadays. How long has that been around? I told my new Windows 7 laptop the other day to write 'I am showing off with voice recognition' in Wordpad and it just did a ':)' smiley at me!

we just need to find some military use, and then it will get darpa funding coming out every orifice...
Method
I think as this technology accelerates the real limiting factor will be the social shift that has to take place before people are ready and willing to undergo elective cybernetic implantation. What I mean is that all this cool stuff you read about is currently being developed for people who have medical necessities. You aren't going to find many neurosurgeons willing to implant one of these electively in a healthy human brain just so a dude can text message faster or update his Facebook with his mind. At some point this has to shift from the world of medicine into... well, essentially the world of consumer electronics, and that could be a big leap.
hobgoblin
note how thats exactly how it happened in SR history.

cybernetics first makes its appearance when it replaces the hand of violin player that lost it in a accident.

asist, the basis for the matrix, first shows up in military use, as a kind of cyberwar branch.

only after the crash, and its proven utility (as well as rapid refinement to practicality) does it hit the civilian market.

thing is, the basic cybernetics will be cumbersome and useful only for the disabled at first. but ones it gets scaled down and refined, others will consider it.

hell, as a life long wearer of glasses, i would not mind some cybereyes that not only would allow me normal vision, but maybe also consider a night vision or IR addon if available wink.gif
KCKitsune
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Dec 27 2009, 12:43 PM) *
we just need to find some military use, and then it will get darpa funding coming out every orifice...

Are you kidding hobgoblin? There more military applications than you can shake a stick at.
  • more responsive aircraft... both rotary and fixed wing.
  • air bursting grenade rounds that program themselves based on the users thoughts.
  • soundless communication (using lasers to not have to broadcast over radio)
  • instant medical diagnosis based on the patients feelings (you know when you're hurt)
  • weapons that can't be used by anyone but those in the squad with the wielder)
  • "instant" access to battlefield info.
hobgoblin
and i suspect darpa have one or more projects looking into all of those wink.gif
Method
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Dec 27 2009, 04:25 PM) *
  • instant medical diagnosis based on the patients feelings (you know when you're hurt)
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Most patients aren't all that reliable in my experience. And pain is amazingly subjective and variable.
MikeKozar
QUOTE (Method @ Dec 27 2009, 04:54 PM) *
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Most patients aren't all that reliable in my experience. And pain is amazingly subjective and variable.

I keep thinking of the command center APC from Aliens. Each Marine had his camera feed along with his vitals. It might be of use to a CO with a similar setup to have a stress/morale indicator to show him how shaky the troops are, and who needs a little leadership. It might also pick up rebellions, like Vasquez and Frost not turning in their AP ammo. It's kind of creepy, I know, and it's a huge blow to privacy...but on the other hand, they got that facility blown up because they didn't follow orders. I'm not saying it's ethical, or economical...but it might be handy.
hobgoblin
the modern soldier, pawns in a push button war...

if we came up with a machine that could hold ground, i suspect soldiers would be a relic pretty fast...
Method
You mean like a combat drone? smile.gif

Seriously though, thats an interesting idea. I wonder how close we really are to RoboJox.
hobgoblin
i got a sweet spot for this video myself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ooG-wWuajc
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012