Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Orichalcum
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Jumon Yagyu
2nd post today and it is a question:

Orichalcum what does it look like in the un-refined state ? I really don't know..has there been a picture posted?

How can it be detected in the natural state? ..some of my players want to go gather some..I'm all for it but need guidelines on what to tell them to look for... does it affect trees like some other ores do when they oxidise?
what does the crystaline structure really look like just before it breaks down when trying to view it in a crystolography lab?
How does it look when being viewed astrally? Does it glow under black light ?

If any of you have a link to a picture of the ore form , refined form , astrally viewed ore , astrally viewed refined form.. please post it

also what does the circulation process that makes it from radicals (28 day cycle) look like when viewed astrally during the process

Yes just a few questions , I look forward to reading your posts.

(*_*)
tagz
To my understanding there is no such thing as natural orichalcum. It's a transmuted substance made in alchemical labs.

That isn't to say you couldn't make some that formed under unusual circumstances in the wild,but it would be a GM fiat.

Details about orichalcum can be found on p81 of Street Magic.
Ascalaphus
Well, IRL orichalchum doesn't exist, so pictures are hard nyahnyah.gif

Orichalchum IIRC is a very precious metal; it likely doesn't really interact at all with the environment.

It's also exceptionally rare; you can't just wander off into the mountains and expect to find some, even with a good roll. A small nugget is worth a fortune. It's said that a few bricks will buy an AAA corporation..
tagz
The description says that "Orichalcum possesses many of the physical properties of gold, being dense and highly malleable." I would read that as for looks and such it appears similar but special in some way, like it has an especially orange tint to it and has a mirror like reflection.
Method
There were natural orichalcum deposits discovered during the YotC, which sparked a modern "gold rush" as corporations scrambled to snatch up as much as they could. But these deposits "dried up" after the comet passed. Beyond that, yeah, its a alchemical substance created through the use of magical enchanting techniques.

And by the by, there are also cannon references to radio active orichalcum isotopes...
Ancient History
Uncle Ancient's Orichalcum Index

QUOTE (Jumon Yagyu @ Dec 27 2009, 09:17 PM) *
Orichalcum what does it look like in the un-refined state ? I really don't know..has there been a picture posted?

Natural orichalcum is golden-orange, and sort of crystalline, similar to pyrite.

How can it be detected in the natural state? ..some of my players want to go gather some..I'm all for it but need guidelines on what to tell them to look for... does it affect trees like some other ores do when they oxidise?

No. Natural orichalcum, when it occurs, usually does so at a ley line nexus. Your best bet is to find one and start digging.

what does the crystaline structure really look like just before it breaks down when trying to view it in a crystolography lab?

Highly unstable.

How does it look when being viewed astrally?

Orichalcum is probably discernibly "brighter" than non-magical materials.

Does it glow under black light ?

Uh...not that I know of. Maybe.

also what does the circulation process that makes it from radicals (28 day cycle) look like when viewed astrally during the process

Probably the astral equivalent of staring at the reflection of an eclipse.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012