Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Future Plans for PDFs of Past Books
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kagetenshi
Once upon a time, there was an effort underway to render old Shadowrun books, including sourcebooks, adventures, and older core rules, into beautiful, searchable PDFs. These PDFs would then be exchanged for the dollars of adoring fans (and possibly other currencies, I don't know what distribution is like).

Unfortunately, our tale does not end happily. If I remember correctly, after a period of some months without a new (old) release, it was revealed that the person who had previously been in charge of one of the key steps of the process had suffered a medical emergency (stroke?). Understandably, given the small sizes of the organizations in question, the process ground to a halt.

I recently realized that the necessary ritual ablutions required before my filthy mortal hands could dare touch the copy of Shadowbeat on my shelf were taking up altogether too much of my day. There was also the recent hand sprain caused by attempting to hold my place on no less than eight separate pages of Rigger 3 Revised. These events have driven me to ask, if there's anyone reading who can provide official guidance or even unofficial speculation, does this effort have a future? What is its current status? Officially cancelled? Officially ongoing but with every related issue on the rearmost burner (or maybe sitting on the counter waiting to get onto the rearmost burner)? No one really knows?

Guidance on the matter more recent than the 2007 threads I could find on the matter greatly appreciated.

~J
Method
One would think that the recent reduction in PDF prices will result in a surge in PDF sales. Could be the perfect time to revisit older source books that may still have value to newer players. Whether or not that includes Shadowbeat (ugh... ohplease.gif ) I will leave up to others.
JM Hardy
The effort to release PDFs of older products still has a future. I'll try to find more info later so I can be more specific.

Jason H.
Freejack
Would you be interested in volunteer typers? I've retyped DNA/DOA and am working on the Denver Boxed set when I have time. Then you'd just need to scan in the images and do the layout (yea "just" smile.gif ).

Just offering (I'd been planning on offering it but wasn't sure how to go about it).

Carl
tete
I would be more than willing to offer some free help on any of the older books I have (most but not all). Have scanner have full acrobat ver 8... I don't have a ton of free time but I could certainly retype an old book or edit a pdf as long as the deadline was a couple months and not a couple weeks. On a side note I think Rigger 3 revised really needs to be on drivethru, last time i checked it was the only 3e core book missing.
Method
Do the old books have to be retyped to convert them to PDF? What about OCR software? Does Catalyst have any access to the original document files?
Freejack
That'd work I'm sure. The problem would be time. Not everyone has OCR software which would limit the number of volunteers. Heck, if we did it as a community project, with one person per book, it could all be done in a few months. Then there'd be a swap to validate the text then turn it over to CGL.

Carl
tisoz
Sorry Kagetenshi, I don't have any new info for you.

But concerning typing out old text, I recall Adam Jury saying they were OCRing the old books. As someone mentioned though, few people have access to that tech, but many would be willing to type text. As a community project, instead of a person/book, I think it could be distributed to get it down to a few pages per person.

If this offer is accepted by the powers that be, I would also suggest adding an index to those books missing one - Rigger 3 Revised in particular.

I also recall Adam saying something about the Shadowland Magazines being considered for PDF and perhaps even the Kage magazines. As something truly rare, yes even I have never read or even seen the majority of the Kages, these two magazines could have decent sales. I think the last time I saw some on eBay they went for over $10/issue.
Kagetenshi
Yeah, back in '07 Adam suggested that if there were a willing intern-candidate in the Seattle area that might be sufficient to kick-start the process; I believe the implication was that the scanning and the first-pass correction of OCR output was the sticking point.

Also, Method, out of interest what's your objection to Shadowbeat? You're the first person I can remember openly expressing less than reverence for it, so I'm curious as to the reasons.

~J
Adam
We've made some really solid progress in the last four months on this front. Solid news when there's solid news.
Kagetenshi
Brilliant, thank you.

~J
Method
I wouldn't say its an objection per se. I just fail to comprehend the "reverence" so many feel for that particular book. I have owned a copy since it came out and while it was an interesting read and added a few interesting bitz and bobs at that time, I don't see it as the world changing tome of wonder that most seem to. Plus the cover art was terrible. At any rate almost everything introduced in that book has been updated and expanded in other SR products, so other than a very 80's snapshot of SR culture it holds very little value to me or my games.

But that's just me. 100% personal opinion.
Kagetenshi
Fair enough. Which books update and expand the information on Combat Biking and Urban Brawl?

~J
Wesley Street
QUOTE (Method @ Dec 28 2009, 11:31 AM) *
I wouldn't say its an objection per se. I just fail to comprehend the "reverence" so many feel for that particular book.

a) The power of nostalgia in overwhelming for some.
b) It's the only SR sourcebook I can think of that didn't focus on a city/country/region, guns/magic/cyber, critters or "survival". It provided context for the shared culture of a near-future society... bloody entertainment programming, sports, music, etc. Even actual rules for playing in a band as a rocker! (Note to developers: this needs to be in addressed in a 4th ed. sourcebook. I want to play an orxploitation hip-hop artist and have actual rules for my performances.)

But, agreed, Shadowbeat, like the Cyberpunk line, hasn't aged well. You can hear the synth drums and galloping guitars in the background when you read it.
Wesley Street
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Dec 28 2009, 12:06 PM) *
Fair enough. Which books update and expand the information on Combat Biking and Urban Brawl?

Sprawl Survival Guide from 3rd ed. Also, the adventure A Killing Glare had full "rules" for Urban Brawl.
Kagetenshi
SSG's content is anemic; it doesn't even give the names of the positions, let alone the names of the teams in the major leagues. I'll have to check A Killing Glare, though, thanks.

~J
Method
Killing Glare was pretty good. Outriders kick ass...

And then there is the list of specific penalties: "Arson: deliberately setting a fire in the brawl zone earns a kill penalty." Thats sig-worthy.

QUOTE (Wesley Street @ Dec 28 2009, 10:06 AM) *
b) It's the only SR sourcebook I can think of that didn't focus on a city/country/region, guns/magic/cyber, critters or "survival".
One could make a case for NAGRL, but yeah, point well taken. I can't argue that it wasn't different, just not as useful to me and my games (especially not 17 years later).
tete
Hey Adam,

Are the pdfs currently being built for Print on Demand? I know Drivethru has been talking about trying to offer it as an option forever but I don't know what the status is. There are some of the older books I would love to have the option to pay for a hard back (like the original Seattle book) even at a perhaps expensive price.
Adam
As long as DriveThru hasn't finalized their POD plans, we certainly aren't committing resources. smile.gif
tete
Probably a wise idea, since they have been kicking it around for years and supposedly it was supposed to be done this year in time for the Christmas sales.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012