Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Salamander
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Nyost Akasuke
Alright, so I've been a huge fan of Shadowrun for years. Probably since I first played the SNES game when I was six or so. Over the course of time I've bought/obtained the SR4 books, and I've read them like crazy. Love everything about the whole game, but I've always hated a lot of numbers. I can do them, but I find them boring, and I was the same with DnD.

So, after many years of playing the games and reading the 'core' books, I've decided to give a shot at creating a character for SR.
Given that it's my first attempt, I'm sure there are things I overlooked or screwed up on. In short, I have no idea what I'm fraggin' doing. Tips and useful criticism would be greatly appreciated.

^_^ mmk... here we go.

[ Spoiler ]

Edit: Added some extra attributes, the Initiative, IPs, and Damage Tracks, a couple more skills, some more BP in Gear, upgraded his primary 'Link and bought a low-grade secondary commlink. Also added a R1 MBW system with two active softs (shown in parenthesis in Active Skills), Simrig, Weapon Modifications, The armor Dakka Dakka suggested (Though I couldn't the other two pieces you suggest. The math came out to me being encumbered by 2 points, or was I mistaken?), some licenses, a vehicle, and a few miscellaneous things like glasses.

Thanks.
MikeKozar
Well, Contacts are worth the sum of their Loyalty and Connection attributes; a Loyalty 1 Connection 4 Fixer contact would be 5 BP.

It looks like you have the cash for some drones or a vehicle, which would make sense for a guy with a Control Rig. If your character concept is more Street level, you should put the points into skills or stats - if nothing else, Edge is always a good idea.

Dakka Dakka
For the math:
In the long run you will be a lot better off using all the allowed BP (200) for your normal Attributes. Raising them is just too expensive, especially with the raised cost in SR4A (5*New Rating)

Unless you want to play a brainy guy, you don't need Logic 5. Better raise INT or AGI or Bod. You won't be rolling logic very often unless your GM uses a seemingly popular houserule for Hacking. (Dicepool is Logic+Skill, Program limits hits)

Why must the character concept be a changeling?

Forgery is arguably a lot less valuable than today. It only applies to physical documents or artworks. At least the former are a lot rarer than today.

If you even want to bother with unarmed combat, buy shock gloves.

No athletics may be a bad idea for shadowrunning wink.gif

Your character seems to have only one (meat) IP. That is not a good Idea if he gets into combat. Buy wired reflexes, MBW(for additional dodge bonus and skillwires) or synaptic boosters.

The datajack is mostly unnecessary. As is IMHO an implanted commlink. An external version and trodes do the same thing, but those can be lost. According to SR4A the Commlink Implant, does not have a Sim Module, which should be purchased in some form. I doubt you can implant the commlink but use an external Sim Module, but that's up to your GM.

The Math SPU won't help with most matrix operations, as the user's mathematical prowess is not needed for them. Only en/decrypting is mentioned specifically.

Unless you plan to be a dedicated Rigger, I wouldn't bother with the Control Rig. Drones and vehicles with the rigger adaptation can be controlled without it. You don't have piloting skills either.

Enhanced Articulation only helps with Physical Skills linked to Physical Attribute. Look at the Skill Section. The list is pretty short.

Raise your Body to 4 and, while concealability may not be an issue for your character, use FFBA half suit, Armor vest, PPP forearm guards, PPP Shin guards and, PPP Upper Arm or Leg casings for 10/8 Armor, without encumbrance. Moreover everything can be worn under normal clothing. Insulation is against cold. Maybe you were looking for non-conductivity against electrical damage.

Since the Errata of SR4 you can have up to Rating 4 SINs and Licenses. you should get those SINs and licenses for your Firearm, possibly a driver's license as well.

Buy flare compensation, thermographic vision, vision magnification and enhancement in a pair of glasses. Wear earbuds with dampening and possibly audio enhancement and sound filter.

Contacts cost one BP per connection point and one BP per Loyalty point. You spent 19 BP on contacts.
Nyost Akasuke
@MikeKozar: Hmm. What drones are useful though? If I was to use drones, they'd be for recon and maybe an occasional attack. Though, if there's better uses for drones for my character, I'd gladly accept advice on that too.

@Dakka Dakka: The idea for this character is that he is indeed a 'brainy' guy. I tried to build him with more of a 'roleplay' aspect in mind than just beefing up whatever I could with the points allowed. Of course, as I said before I have no idea what I'm doing and I've never done a true SR roleplay/game before. It seemed natural to me that a hacker should have a high Logic attribute.

The primary reason that he's a changeling is, well... I wanted a tail. That's pretty much it for that, plus I thought it would add an (maybe) interesting roleplay aspect when meeting other characters and trying to conceal his identity (Hence those specific negative metagenetic traits.

Forgery was added with another roleplaying concept in mind. I wanted there to be reason as to why a poor street ganger like him could make out with such equipment, and I was going to have him be experienced in hacking accounts and creating counterfeit money (in the past that is, making it the reason he has all this 'stuff' since I'm not sure how well forgery works in game mechanics)

The shock gloves, athletics, and higher rating fake SINs and licenses I can do. For some reason IP was a little confusing to me, so I'll go ahead and maybe grab some synaptic boosters (Are wired reflexes the ones that ''put the body in a state of constant seizure'' or is that the 'Move-by-wire' system?). I'll probably keep the Math SPU, since I originally planned to do a lot of encrypting with this guy (Again, a roleplay thing. Encrypting and Databombing files and forcing mom-n'-pop shops to pay a fee to get their info back).

I'll add some Piloting skills if possible (I think I can with that remaining BP, not entirely sure though). The sunglasses and earbuds sound good, I'll raise my Body att. up some and ditch the Enhanced Articulation.

I think the commlink/datajack/Sim Mod. is where I'm the most confused then. What would be an optimal (or at least 'good') set of starting equipment in regards to those things? Should everything be external? What's the advantages or disadvantages of having an implanted 'link or datajack?

I know this may be a lot of stuff, but I really appreciate the help. ^_^ Thanks guys.
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (Nyost Akasuke @ Dec 28 2009, 11:21 PM) *
The primary reason that he's a changeling is, well... I wanted a tail. That's pretty much it for that, plus I thought it would add an (maybe) interesting roleplay aspect when meeting other characters and trying to conceal his identity (Hence those specific negative metagenetic traits.
Find out if the GM and the other player want to play in a grey trenchcoat or pink mohawk style of game. If the former is the case you may get a lot of problems with the game world and the other characters may not want to be associated with yours.

Forgery was added with another roleplaying concept in mind. I wanted there to be reason as to why a poor street ganger like him could make out with such equipment, and I was going to have him be experienced in hacking accounts and creating counterfeit money (in the past that is, making it the reason he has all this 'stuff' since I'm not sure how well forgery works in game mechanics)
For most of this hacking should be enough since you would not need paper money or other physical documents for such transactions/frauds. A contact who is a forger may be another option for plausibility.

For some reason IP was a little confusing to me, so I'll go ahead and maybe grab some synaptic boosters
What is so confusing about them? Maybe we can help.
(Are wired reflexes the ones that ''put the body in a state of constant seizure'' or is that the 'Move-by-wire' system?).
That's the move by wire system, but in SR4 it doesn't have the detrimental side effects of earlier editions any more.

I'll add some Piloting skills if possible (I think I can with that remaining BP, not entirely sure though). The sunglasses and earbuds sound good, I'll raise my Body att. up some and ditch the Enhanced Articulation.
If you have enough cash maybe a MBW 2 and the appropriate skill softs could be an alternative.

I think the commlink/datajack/Sim Mod. is where I'm the most confused then. What would be an optimal (or at least 'good') set of starting equipment in regards to those things? Should everything be external? What's the advantages or disadvantages of having an implanted 'link or datajack?
At higher cost (money and essence) the internal version has the benefit that it cannot easily be lost, stolen or destroyed. On the other hand, any hardware upgrade means surgery. What you should have is a commlink (obviously), a sim module (which allows you to use AR and VR and may be modified for hot sim) and some form of DNI(Direct Neural Interface). The commlink an sim module implants already have DNIs and a trodenet or nanopaste trodes are the external options. You can go all external, partially internal or all internal according to taste. A datajack may be needed if you have an internal commlink and the node you want to hack does not have a wireless connection. Another option would be to plug an external commlink into that node, unless your GMs says commlinks don't have plugs.
Skinlink is also interesting. With it your peripheral devices (smartgun, Glasses etc.) won't need a wireless connection, and cannot be hacked wirelessly. If both persons have a skinlink it can be used for silent communication just as a cable between tow people with datajacks.

I know this may be a lot of stuff, but I really appreciate the help. ^_^ Thanks guys.
No problem. I enjoy looking over over people's characters. I gives me new ideas for my own.
Nyost Akasuke
Alright. For one, I'm not sure what the terms 'gray trenchcoat' or 'pink mohawk' exactly mean. I assume 'pink mohawk' is a setting where radical appearances are common amongst individuals and in the 'trenchcoat' setting it isn't? I'll throw out forgery for a contact then, and I think I'll add some piloting skills anyway for uses with drones or vehicles (A automobile of some sort sounds like it might be a good idea). Do you think having a primary commlink as an 'all-internal' option (for running), with a secondary 'link. for blending in with the populace and walking around in areas where anything below 'Active Mode' is considered suspicious, with some low ratings be a good idea?

Edit: As for IPs, I'm not sure what they do exactly. What do they determine and why is it important to have more than one?
zeborazor
It's extra turns.
Basically if player 1 only has 1 IP and player 2 has 3, player 1 only acts once while player 2 can act three times before player 1 can act again.

I'm so hungry that it's making me semi-illiterate so I apologize for grammar.

And trenchcoat I think is a setting like "The Godfather."
Pink Mohawk is like comic books or something.
Thats my understanding anyway, two varying settings.
Nyost Akasuke
Oh snap. Well, I can definitely see how a higher IP would help then. Thanks.
zeborazor
Also my character has 2 Comms. One broadcasts his Fake SINs, the other is his actual one which is rarely broadcasting.
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (Nyost Akasuke @ Dec 29 2009, 12:24 AM) *
Alright. For one, I'm not sure what the terms 'gray trenchcoat' or 'pink mohawk' exactly mean. I assume 'pink mohawk' is a setting where radical appearances are common amongst individuals and in the 'trenchcoat' setting it isn't?
You got the pink mohawk right, it isn't restricted to appearances though, you are also more free in the choice of actions that don't entail dire consequences. Grey trenchcoat setting is one where being below the radar is all important and the opposition will do anything in its power to track you down. Having a tail in that kind of setting would not work. Most groups settle somewhere in the middle between both extremes.
QUOTE (Nyost Akasuke @ Dec 29 2009, 12:24 AM) *
Do you think having a primary commlink as an 'all-internal' option (for running), with a secondary 'link. for blending in with the populace and walking around in areas where anything below 'Active Mode' is considered suspicious, with some low ratings be a good idea?
The real commlink needn't be an internal one, but yes, having more than one commlink is a good idea.
MikeKozar
QUOTE (Nyost Akasuke @ Dec 28 2009, 03:24 PM) *
Alright. For one, I'm not sure what the terms 'gray trenchcoat' or 'pink mohawk' exactly mean. I assume 'pink mohawk' is a setting where radical appearances are common amongst individuals and in the 'trenchcoat' setting it isn't? I'll throw out forgery for a contact then, and I think I'll add some piloting skills anyway for uses with drones or vehicles (A automobile of some sort sounds like it might be a good idea). Do you think having a primary commlink as an 'all-internal' option (for running), with a secondary 'link. for blending in with the populace and walking around in areas where anything below 'Active Mode' is considered suspicious, with some low ratings be a good idea?

Edit: As for IPs, I'm not sure what they do exactly. What do they determine and why is it important to have more than one?

Okay, in no particular order:

IPs are Initiative Passes. In each Combat Turn, every combatant gets to take a number of moves, each including a Free Action(move, talk) and either two simple actions (fire a weapon) or one complex action (attack with a katana, cast a spell). The number of moves you get to take is equal to your IPs...a normal metahuman moves once every three seconds, while a wired samurai might get to go three times. It's the biggest force multiplier in the game.

Regarding Pink Mohawk, Shadowrun is almost always run as an 80's action movie, but not always the same genre. Some players like to keep it realistic, in the sense that anonymity and stealth are the only way to survive long term - it's essentially an espionage movie or a caper flick. Some players prefer it more wild, with explosions, car chases, and no real consequences - pretty much anything from Schwarzenegger's glory days. If you can stick up a bank in a pink mohawk, and later nobody can identify you...you're in a 'pink mohawk' campaign. Both are fun, provided everybody is playing the same style.

Drones are inherently dangerous - if you picked up a Steel Lynx from the main sourcebook, you could mount a LMG to it and send it in as heavy fire support when the team gets into trouble. They're expendable, cost-effective, immune to small arms fire and come stock with 3 IPs. I also just noticed that those two together are only 7,000y and 12R and 12F - you wouldn't even need to take Restricted Gear. Mind you, there are *lots* of rules for building and upgrading drones - I usually have two customized Rotor-Drones with me, and they're up to 25,000y each at this point.
Nyost Akasuke
thanks guys. ill update the build soon when i get online. forgive the capitalisation, im on my wii smile.gif
Nyost Akasuke
Updated the build with the suggestions. I wanted to grab a drone or two but I couldn't seem to make it work for some reason, so I settled for vehicle and weapon mods as well as a few other things.

Let me know if I messed up on anything, and again... thanks a lot everyone.
xD Shadowrun characters take way longer to make than I would've thought.
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (Nyost Akasuke @ Dec 30 2009, 11:34 AM) *
Updated the build with the suggestions. I wanted to grab a drone or two but I couldn't seem to make it work for some reason, so I settled for vehicle and weapon mods as well as a few other things.
What's the problem? Drones are just vehicles with rigger adaptation and no passenger capacity.

Let me know if I messed up on anything, and again... thanks a lot everyone.
Your meat initiative is REA+INT+Bonus so 6+4+2=12 and you get 2 IPs. Matrix Initative is correct for hot sim. Running cold it is 9 and 2 IPs

[Edit]Why did you install a Simrig? Do youwant to record your experiences and sell them as simflicks?[/Edit]

Otherwise the character looks good - for a frigging reptile man wink.gif

xD Shadowrun characters take way longer to make than I would've thought.
You didn't pick one of the easier concepts, but yes it generally takes longer than with classs based systems.
Manunancy
If you're going to have a tail for the sake of looks, maybe it is easier done with surgery rather than SURGE. Be it the hair color, the weird eyes or eve, the tail, all can be added. In a tiem where every bozo can have cosmetic surgery, there's a market for more extreme styles for those who really want to be different.

I don't have Augmentation at hand, but odds are you'll find your need there. Andpossibliy for a cheaper cost in BP than going the SURGE route.
Cardul
QUOTE (Manunancy @ Dec 30 2009, 07:27 AM) *
If you're going to have a tail for the sake of looks, maybe it is easier done with surgery rather than SURGE. Be it the hair color, the weird eyes or eve, the tail, all can be added. In a tiem where every bozo can have cosmetic surgery, there's a market for more extreme styles for those who really want to be different.

I don't have Augmentation at hand, but odds are you'll find your need there. Andpossibliy for a cheaper cost in BP than going the SURGE route.

Yeah, the cyber tail(which you could even put a single cyber eye on!) is easy, while the other stuff can
be done with cosmetic bio-ware mods(and can even be made beneficial!), all for less BP then the SURGE,
since I know they can be done for less then 50K Nuyen(the cost of the SURGE Class II category, IIRC)
Dakka Dakka
It takes a different sort of character though to install ware to become a freak than the unlucky sod who is born with a tail and gecko hands.
Manunancy
It's not clearly mentionned wether the character enoys his look or not, but it was my impression that he actually did. Which means a voluntary change through cosmetic surgery is possible. What it means in term of the character's mindset is another problem.
Nyost Akasuke
well, the drones became a problem because the would require me to free up some nuyen space by ridding programs, MBW, or my vehicle, which i didnt want to do. It seems like having transportation and extra IP are pretty important (or at least useful). There's just not many things im willing to part with that would free up adequate cash.

Oops. Wrong sim-thing, thanks Ill change that soon. And while I did see the possible surgery options in Augmentation, I'll stick with his current 'SURGEry'. It was made with roleplaying concepts in mind and using all possible venues to make a character as strong (or useful) as possible at creation is a horrible idea for me, since it means nothing to me if it cuts into the style and 'feel' of how I want to RP him. For the record, my character doesnt necessarily enjoy what he is, but he would admit it has some minor perks, and he has pride in it simply because thats what he is.

(On my wii again. Yay for horrible SR puns.)
(Cybertail with a cyber eye sounds pretty nifty though, might have to try that sometime.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012