Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Piloting Origin and Autosoft.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Delarn
When an AI that got the Piloting Origin at 2 allowing the AI to uses all Autosoft from a drone. So you can use the Autosoft instead of your skill, but you can't get the autosoft to help you in your dice pool ?

What I'm mean is : Ie Targeting 4 used with Pistol 4 ? I would say it give a synergy bonus to the Skill of half the rating.

I didn't read anything about synergy in SR4.
D2F
QUOTE (Delarn @ Dec 29 2009, 12:51 AM) *
When an AI that got the Piloting Origin at 2 allowing the AI to uses all Autosoft from a drone. So you can use the Autosoft instead of your skill, but you can't get the autosoft to help you in your dice pool ?

What I'm mean is : Ie Targeting 4 used with Pistol 4 ? I would say it give a synergy bonus to the Skill of half the rating.

I didn't read anything about synergy in SR4.

What the quality does is to allow you the use of autosofts instead of your skill (which you may or may not have):

QUOTE ("Runners Companion p91 @ Piloting Origin Quality")
[...]the AI may load and directly use all autosoft
programs, using the program rating in place of its own skill.

If your skill is the same level, your choice is irrelevant. If your skill is higher, you should use it instead of your autosoft and if your skill is lower, the increased skill through the autosoft should be benefit enough.

The quality has no effect other than the ones listed. There is no synergy bonus and the autosoft does not act as a bonus if you use it instead of your skill.
Autosofts do not, under any circumstance, provide bonus dice to a skill roll. They allow certain skill rolls in the first place, like defense, targeting or clearsight to name a few, but they are not bonus dice.
Delarn
So having a target designed by the autosoft and using your skill to shoot (this is what targeting is doing) wont give you a synergy bonus ? So a Rigger using gunnery in a jet that got locking (targeting) Autosoft will not help him shoot better ...
D2F
QUOTE (Delarn @ Dec 29 2009, 10:40 PM) *
So having a target designed by the autosoft and using your skill to shoot (this is what targeting is doing) wont give you a synergy bonus ? So a Rigger using gunnery in a jet that got locking (targeting) Autosoft will not help him shoot better ...

A rigger will not be able to use autosoft programs himself. Autosoft programs are software that allow Pilot Programs to execute commands as if they possessed the respective skills (determined by the autosoft in question).

In the case of your AI character, the positive Quality "Piloting Origin (2)" merely allows the AI to use autosofts instead of her own skill.

If you want a (meta-)human rigger (or the AI in your case) to utilize sensor information and guidance systems to help him in his target aquisition and subsequent engagement, "sensor assisted targeting" is the rule you are looking for:

QUOTE ("Shadowrun 20th anniversary edition p.171")
Sensor Targeting

Characters can use the vehicle’s Sensor Attribute to help with Gunnery. They can do this by two means: passive targeting and active targeting.

Passive Targeting
In passive targeting, the vehicle’s Sensor attribute substitutes for Agility (or Pilot) as the linked Attribute, so the attacker rolls Gunnery + Sensor. The target’s Signature modifiers are also applied as a dice pool modifier.

Active Targeting
[...]To use active targeting, the character/vehicle must first make a Sensor Test to lock onto a target. This requires a Simple Action (see Use Sensors, p. 169). If the character/vehicle wins the test, the net hits are added as a dice pool modifier to the subsequent Gunnery Test.

Hope that helped clarify the situation.
Delarn
Thanks ! it Helps a Lot !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012