Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Limited adept powers.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Hagga
I'm sort of thinking of letting an adept, one of my players, take "limited powers" the same way a Magician could spells - IE, combat sense, but only for ranged weapons, costing .25. To use his freefall power (.125 pp), he'd have to be bellowing verses from the bible. Geas for some, isolating aspects of the powers for others.

Can anyone see any major problems with the idea? I can't for the life of me, but I'm sure our resident twink-mechanics will have a different view on the subject.
Ancient History
It actually used to be a standard feature; an adept was allowed to take a geas which applied only to that power, and said power would have a lower cost. A bit prone to abuse at times (low-light vision that only works at night, for example), but flavorful.
etherial
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Dec 29 2009, 06:49 PM) *
It actually used to be a standard feature; an adept was allowed to take a geas which applied only to that power, and said power would have a lower cost. A bit prone to abuse at times (low-light vision that only works at night, for example), but flavorful.

Yeah, that's how a friend of mine built a Bioware-laden Panther Shifter PhysAd Caster. I was playing my first mage that game and cast 1 combat spell in the course of six sessions.
Ancient History
SRII had some balance issues, yaar.
Jaid
QUOTE (Street Magic pg 31)
Adepts and Geasa
For a more adept-driven game, gamemasters may allow
adepts to voluntarily take a geas for a specifi c adept
power; in return, the Power Point cost for that power is reduced
by 25 percent (round normally). In this case, breaking
the geasa only affects that power; the adepts remaining
geasa-limited powers are unaffected.

Look, ma! options for tweaking the rules in exactly the way the OP was requesting! nyahnyah.gif (though with somewhat different values, i admit)
etherial
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Dec 29 2009, 10:51 PM) *
SRII had some balance issues, yaar.

SR3 in my case.
Hagga
QUOTE (Jaid @ Dec 30 2009, 04:56 AM) *
Look, ma! options for tweaking the rules in exactly the way the OP was requesting! nyahnyah.gif (though with somewhat different values, i admit)

Huh. I could have sworn that was MitS paragraph. Oh well; ta. I suppose the limited versions will do as well as geasa. Given the unfortunate prevalence of clothes with 0/1 armour, I'm going to let him wear armour as long as it isn't any greater than an armour vest - 6/4 - which should be enough to hinder him pretty seriously given the amount of fire he's prone to taking.
Jaid
QUOTE (Hagga @ Dec 30 2009, 01:30 PM) *
Huh. I could have sworn that was MitS paragraph. Oh well; ta. I suppose the limited versions will do as well as geasa.

the limited versions *are* geasa.

combat sense, put a geas on it restricting it to "only when it is a ranged attack" = limited to range version of combat sense.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012