Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Implanted foci, anchoring foci.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Hagga
A few threads suggested implanted foci when I ran it through the search function - but wouldn't that interfere with the foci by getting it a bit too entangled in an awakened aura? How would it interact with implants, say, a power foci in a mechanical lung? Fill the blank spot? Or simply make it easier, not harder, to read?

And the wording on Anchoring foci suggests that if you possess one, the anchored spell is anchored karma free. Or am I just reading that wrongly?
etherial
QUOTE (Hagga @ Jan 1 2010, 06:34 AM) *
A few threads suggested implanted foci when I ran it through the search function - but wouldn't that interfere with the foci by getting it a bit too entangled in an awakened aura? How would it interact with implants, say, a power foci in a mechanical lung? Fill the blank spot? Or simply make it easier, not harder, to read?

And the wording on Anchoring foci suggests that if you possess one, the anchored spell is anchored karma free. Or am I just reading that wrongly?

It would mostly just accelerate Focus Addiction.
Ancient History
QUOTE (Hagga @ Jan 1 2010, 11:34 AM) *
A few threads suggested implanted foci when I ran it through the search function - but wouldn't that interfere with the foci by getting it a bit too entangled in an awakened aura?

No.
How would it interact with implants, say, a power foci in a mechanical lung? Fill the blank spot? Or simply make it easier, not harder, to read?

Tricky question; a strict reading would suggest that someone viewing their aura would see both that the character has an implant and that the implant was a focus (more detail would require an Assensing Test). How that actually appears to astral senses is up to you.

If you cast a spell through an anchoring focus, you do not have to pay Karma like you would to anchor a spell. This is the basic advantage of the anchoring focus.
Hagga
QUOTE (etherial @ Jan 1 2010, 06:09 PM) *
It would mostly just accelerate Focus Addiction.

Focus addiction is only when you've got (Magic*2) in foci force active, or at least is suggested to be a good guideline for when the magician simply HAS TO HAVE IT for magic, but I can see what you mean.

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 1 2010, 06:44 PM) *
Tricky question; a strict reading would suggest that someone viewing their aura would see both that the character has an implant and that the implant was a focus (more detail would require an Assensing Test). How that actually appears to astral senses is up to you.

Rather, an empty section inside the implant that has a focus set into it, an orichalcum ring that's been stuck in with bits of chewing gum inside the cyberlung. So I imagine from your response you'd have a big black spot with a shining foci aura inside it.

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 1 2010, 06:44 PM) *
If you cast a spell through an anchoring focus, you do not have to pay Karma like you would to anchor a spell. This is the basic advantage of the anchoring focus.

Yeah, but I was sure I was missing something. It seemed so easy and not designed to screw me. I like the Unwired rules much better; I understand those. Magic is a damn headache, especially now I'm the prime GM.
Jaid
actually hagga, the implant itself can be a focus; for example, you could have a cyberspur that is enchanted as a weapon focus.
Hagga
QUOTE (Jaid @ Jan 2 2010, 04:57 AM) *
actually hagga, the implant itself can be a focus; for example, you could have a cyberspur that is enchanted as a weapon focus.

Yes, but it's cheaper, easier and unlikely to attract attention from people who want to know just why that shiny new bone plating implant of yours is also a force 3 power focus. And it's easier to repair the implant if it's not also magic.
Sixgun_Sage
This is why I go with foci body piercings.
Godwyn
QUOTE (Sixgun_Sage @ Jan 2 2010, 06:19 PM) *
This is why I go with foci body piercings.

I have to say, that is the essence of Shadowrun right there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012