Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Strains of HMHVV or where's the consistency?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Snow_Fox
I thought 4th Ed was supposed to be new rules but a continuation of the world we've gamed in since 1989. Well some of us have gamedthere since 1sted. Over the weekend I picked up Running Wild and I liked it. silly as it seems the idea of rating for pets tickled me-though I can't realy see someone called Chuck-chuck Razool buying goldfish and I think Horses are not a luxery item in Seattle yes, in Colorado, no but there's room to maneuver.

What bothered my though was the chapter on the infected. While the deiffernet psecies and all was interesting what has me kind of torqued off are the names of the strains. All of a sudden these are the Ghilani with the strain 3 known as Ghilani Wichtiviridea. There is a brief explanaition that this was discovered by Dr Krieger but the book seems determeing to use the latin name. What annoys me is that for years the strain that causes ghouls has been known as the 'Krieger Strain' but that name seems to have been dropped for the new latin name. Why?
Ancient History
Different authors, that's all. We had a couple biochemists bitching about the HMHVV names ohplease.gif so in Runners Companion I took the opportunity to update the Latin names. Patrick (who wrote Runner's Companion) just decided to run with it, but plenty of people-on-the-street call it Krieger's Strain.
Snow_Fox
If you had biochemists bitching about the names so you changed it, can I be the wiccan Financial advisor who starts bitching so you change it BACK?
Ancient History
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Jan 5 2010, 02:38 AM) *
If you had biochemists bitching about the names so you changed it, can I be the wiccan Financial advisor who starts bitching so you change it BACK?

T'ch'n'c'ly it was only a "clarification." The proper scientific name. You can still call it Krieger strain. Others will still call it Krieger strain. It's like saying 'influenza' instead of 'flu.'
Snow_Fox
Can I make fun of the techno-geeks who refer to it as "Ghilani Wichtiviridea strain 3?"
Ancient History
Okely-dookely, neighborina!
Sengir
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Jan 5 2010, 03:03 AM) *
All of a sudden these are the Ghilani with the strain 3 known as Ghilani Wichtiviridea. There is a brief explanaition that this was discovered by Dr Krieger but the book seems determeing to use the latin name.

The powers-that-be simply got fed up with having to correct 28359723 occurences of "Kreiger" per book, so they came up with a name that's easier to spell for non-German speakers...
Medicineman
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 4 2010, 11:18 PM) *
Okely-dookely, neighborina!

Hey ,I got that grinbig.gif

@Sengir

its "Krieger" not Kreiger wink.gif smile.gif
And yes ,I guess its Tonguetwisting for you Americans....

with an offtopic Dance
Medicineman
Sengir
QUOTE (Medicineman @ Jan 5 2010, 12:04 PM) *
its "Krieger" not Kreiger wink.gif smile.gif

Ok, du hast den Witz nicht verstanden nyahnyah.gif
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 4 2010, 08:08 PM) *
Different authors, that's all. We had a couple biochemists bitching about the HMHVV names ohplease.gif so in Runners Companion I took the opportunity to update the Latin names. Patrick (who wrote Runner's Companion) just decided to run with it, but plenty of people-on-the-street call it Krieger's Strain.

I wrote "The Infected" for Running Wild, AH. not Runner's Companion. And Snow_Fox, you've got to remember that the framing story for that entry was that it was a college seminar, where they were more likely to use the Latin. The character of Dr. McAllister uses the colloquial names himself in casual conversation.
nezumi
I'm wondering how they changed in a few years for two biochemists, but two decades of programmers everywhere belly-aching and the Matrix still doesn't make sense ;P
Snow_Fox
Hey, wait until I get up a good head of steam with what they got wrong on the magic side wink.gif
The Jopp
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Jan 18 2010, 04:25 PM) *
Hey, wait until I get up a good head of steam with what they got wrong on the magic side wink.gif

Meh, I've got 4 pages of "Things that need to get fixed" for SR4.

And it took me YEARS before going into the trouble with vehicle modfications...
Jaid
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Jan 18 2010, 10:25 AM) *

every time someone posts something like this, it reminds me of a post i saw someone link to once, where the OP was complaining that SR magic rules didn't match their RL experiences with working magic...
ker'ion
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Jan 18 2010, 09:25 AM) *
QUOTE (Jaid @ Jan 18 2010, 07:45 PM) *
every time someone posts something like this, it reminds me of a post i saw someone link to once, where the OP was complaining that SR magic rules didn't match their RL experiences with working magic...
I don't think it's possible to get the rules for magic to match the RL opinion of how most magically inclined people believe it should work, if for no other reason than there is no general consensus on how such things work.

I believe that the awakened world's rules could be more fluid, but on the whole this is just my viewpoint and they work for the game system and it's environment enough to keep the game moving and enjoyable.
Snow_Fox
yeah that's why I don't pick on the gun rules too much. They work better but are less realistic. But for magic well. We're dealing with a lot of muggles here. wink.gif
ker'ion
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Jan 19 2010, 08:58 PM) *
yeah that's why I don't pick on the gun rules too much. They work better but are less realistic. But for magic well. We're dealing with a lot of muggles here. wink.gif
Better than zealots.
*hiding the matches*
Snow_Fox
We get all kinds, Goddess knows I'm use to it. Thought right now the Mel Brooks' inquisition song's going through my head.
ker'ion
twirl.gif NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!!! twirl.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012