Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Desert Wars...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
crazyivans
I am at a loss here. The Desert Wars are "mentioned" in a lot of my sourcebooks, but they aren't really discussed. What are they? Where are they? Why are they fought? Who is involved? Any help would be appreciated. Also, if there is a book that would fill me in, please let me know, Kay?
Reaver
QUOTE (crazyivans @ Feb 5 2004, 05:21 PM)
I am at a loss here.  The Desert Wars are "mentioned" in a lot of my sourcebooks, but they aren't really discussed.  What are they?  Where are they?  Why are they fought?  Who is involved?  Any help would be appreciated.  Also, if there is a book that would fill me in, please let me know, Kay?

Target Wastelands covers that. I can't remember exactly where they are held, but I think it's somewhere like Lybia or Northern Africa. I don't have my book with me at the moment.

Oh, mostly the corps duke it out against each other in the Desert Wars as a way to field test new equipment. Lots o mercs get involved as well, and maybe a few shadowrunners.
Frag-o Delux
They are wars fought between corporations to test new products and get endorsements for TV. They are fought in North African around the nuked out Lybia. They are fought for the hell of it, soem things include weapons testing among other things, training, and score settling, if corp A pises off corp B they duke it out in the desert. And if you get Sprawl Survival Guide it will tell you more. Also I am sure a lot of other people will be here to tell you more. smile.gif

EDIT Reaver maybe right, I thought it was in SSG, but it may be in T:WL i can't find my SSG.

EDIT the RE-EDIT: Just checked T:WL it is in there
Req
And they're just starting up Desert Wars 2 in the Gobi Desert, as well.
crazyivans
When are they starting DW2? '64?
Frag-o Delux
Probably when the Shadows of Asia book hits the streets, since the Gobi is in China (if I remeber correctly, damn lack of geography memory), or at least I pretty sure it is in Asia. smile.gif
Req
Yep. Mongolia actually. I may have been wrong with the Gobi, that's where I thought it was, but I know it's around Mongolia.
Frag-o Delux
I was thinking Mongolia but I was trying to take the safe bet China, who knows they may have annexed Mongolia (by time the book comes out) under "They were ours a long time ago" like Tiwain and Tibet. biggrin.gif But you are right the gobi is in that area. smile.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
Libya is spelled like <--this in English.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Req)
Yep. Mongolia actually. I may have been wrong with the Gobi, that's where I thought it was, but I know it's around Mongolia.

Straddles the area between southern Mongolia and northern Chinese provinces. On Mongolia's status, from what I remember of Target: Wastelands, it's independent. Although I kind of see it like it was back in the 1910's or so, independent but Russia's sending them a lot of financial and military aid - along with the training advisors to use it - to keep them friendly as they're fighting further north.
toturi
Now that the Russkies are no longer that much of a world power, the Corps are keeping Mongolia independent and stable. Wouldn't do to have those top secret antennae farms fall into the hands of a warlord. smile.gif
BumsofTacoma
What the hell is this thing? it just fell out of the sky and in to y hands?!?! grinbig.gif
toturi
QUOTE (BumsofTacoma)
What the hell is this thing? it just fell out of the sky and in to y hands?!?! grinbig.gif

Ahhh, be careful that might just be a tracer round for an orbital bovine bombardment.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012