Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Technomancer matrix damage
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Squinky
My understanding is TM's take all matrix damage as if it were doing biofeedback damage.

So what purpose is the Armor CF for them? Wouldn't all matrix damage be resisted with willpower+biofeedback?

Thanks for any help.
The Jake
Shield CF.

- J.
Squinky
QUOTE (The Jake @ Jan 10 2010, 09:58 PM) *
Shield CF.

- J.

So it's Willpower + Biofeedback + Shield CF (if you have it) ?

Or System + Armor + Shield CF?
The Jake
Away from books atm, but by memory, Biofeedback only applies to Black IC. For that reason Shield is critical for all TMs because it applies to all forms of attack.

- J.
Squinky
QUOTE (The Jake @ Jan 10 2010, 10:09 PM) *
Away from books atm, but by memory, Biofeedback only applies to Black IC. For that reason Shield is critical for all TMs because it applies to all forms of attack.

- J.

I guess that's the core of my question smile.gif

Since all attacks against a TM cause biofeedback, does the System + armor defense even come into play?

JoelHalpern
Shield adds the defense roll (willpower + Int + 1) for TMs. Frequently, this results in no damage.
As far as I know, when defending against normal attacks, the TMs still add armor to the damage absorption roll.

Yours,
Joel
The Jake
QUOTE (Squinky @ Jan 11 2010, 03:15 AM) *
I guess that's the core of my question smile.gif

Since all attacks against a TM cause biofeedback, does the System + armor defense even come into play?

Ahh IC. My understanding is that they cause 'real' damage to the TM it doesn't constitute biofeedback damage (thus, using Charisma) to resist. Its only for Black IC or Psychotropic IC would that apply.

Of course I could be completely wrong...

- J.
Squinky
Okay, I think i am getting the swing of things now.

Its willpower+Biofeedback+shield for Black IC
System+Armor+shield for resisting normal non biofeedback attacks.

Regardless of the end outcome on the TM, it takes a different set of defenses for the different attacks.

Thanks for helping me hash it out guys smile.gif
JoelHalpern
Shuield adds to the matrix defense pool, not the damage resetance. (unwired, page 136) -- Joel
Udoshi
Basically, matrix damage is really dependent on the program you're firing with. Just like the explosive rounds vs apds matter in determining how screwed the other guy is, so does the program.

Black IC(blackout/blackhammer) does physical track damage, jams your connection open, and is opposed by biofeedback filter(cha for TMs).
Attack(and nuke) does cyber track damage, which can give you even more condition monitor penalties, and is resisted with armor.
The shield complex form adds to -all- matrix defense rolls, no matter the source.
JoelHalpern
Matrix defense is Response + Firewall (plus Shield for TMs). It is used to avoid an attack, just like Melee defense in the meat world.
Damage Resistance uses System plus Armor or Biofeedback Filter. That comes after defense has failed. Which makes Shield a big win because if you get as many successes as the attacker, ther eis no damage to resist (just as reaction is critical for range / melee defense in meat, being much more useful than armor.)

Yours,
Joel
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012