Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: You'll find him at the crossroads at midnight
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
BRodda
Going by many names the Free Spirit known as the “Devil of the Crossroads” (also known as “The Muse”, “The Spirit of Music” and “The Conductor” ) is on of the first Spirits of record to appear during the Sixth World. The first recorded appearances were during the early 19th century in the New Orleans area of what is now the CAS, appearing only at midnight at certain deserted crossroads to early Blues musicians. Tales of “selling their souls” to the Devil started to spread in the Blues community and several prominent musicians of the time had claimed to have interacted with him. Others claimed that they had been challenged to a music duel against him with the winner getting instruments made of gold, silver and other precious metals. After the Awakening some of the mystique of the Spirit has worn off (No longer considered to be THE Devil), but many desperate performers still seek him out in the hopes that he can teach them how to play.

Stats:
Force: 13

Body: 10
Agility: 4
Reaction: 5
Strength: 6
Char: 13 [The Spirit is considered to be a Char based tradition]
Intuition: 9
Logic: 9
Will: 11
EDG:10
ESS:13
Magic: 13
Init: 14
Astral Init: 18
IP: 2
Astral IP: 3

Powers:
Spirit Pact: "Selling your soul": In this pact the performer gets +3 Dice to all Artesian rolls, one free Artesian Specialization and the equivalent of the Adept power Voice Control(Note this is not a power and does not give the person a Magic Stat or count against their Power Points if already an Adapt) The PC trades 25 Karma in this Pact.

Tune: The Spirit can spend one complex action to tune a musical instrument. They must be touching the instrument to do this. Once tuned the instrument gives +1 to all tests made with it and never needs to be retuned. This effect is permanent.

Aura Masking: Per SM pg98
Materialization:
Banishing Resistance: SM 99
Mutable Form: Per SM 109
Wealth: Per SM pg110. This always takes the form of an musical instrument made of precious metals or materials. It is always considered to be Tuned per the power above.

Qualities:
Global Fame

Skills:
Etiquette:6, Instruction: 10,Language (all):5,Academic Knowledge(all):4, Artisan:(Violin, Guitar):13, Assensing:8, Arcana:10, Astral Combat:8, Enchanting: 6, Spellcasting:8, Ritual Spellcasting: 6, Counterspelling:4.

Spells:
All Illusion spells and Manipulation Spells. Flamethrower,Fireball and Mindlink.
Daylen
nice
Ancient History
I had a...different take on that character once. Thankfully, the story wasn't accepted.
BRodda
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 14 2010, 01:08 PM) *
I had a...different take on that character once. Thankfully, the story wasn't accepted.

I take it that is was a bit more like the fiction of the girl without a SIN?

I'm interested in knowing what you had, we both tend to find the same things interesting, but our takes on them are usually WAAAAYYY different.
Ancient History
Heh. Well it wasn't a Shadowrun story, for one thing, but yeah it was similar to the Unpublished Neo-Tokyo Fragment in content.
Wounded Ronin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDm_ZHyYTrg
ravensmuse
Quick question: is Ralph Maccio involved?

Other than that, great idea.
BRodda
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Jan 14 2010, 06:16 PM) *

Lets see. In modern SR he has a fiddle playing dice pool of 19 (4+13+1 for spec +1 for Tuned). Not to shabby for a non-combat pool. I figure when Johnny played him he would have only been a Force 4 materialized ( I assume a minor mana flux area) so it would have been (4+4+1+1), 10 dice pool is still nothing to shabby, but something that can be beat.

And that fiddle would have been worth between 10,000 nuyen.gif and 80,000 nuyen.gif (modern day bettween 10,000 nuyen.gif and 1.3 mil nuyen.gif)

EDIT: As a side note to certain parties Johnny's fiddle would be almost priceless as it would be one of the few magic items produced during the 5th age.
BRodda
QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Jan 14 2010, 06:17 PM) *
Quick question: is Ralph Maccio involved?

Other than that, great idea.

I don't get the joke ohplease.gif

And thank you grinbig.gif
Crusher Bob
QUOTE (BRodda @ Jan 15 2010, 08:47 AM) *
I don't get the joke

Ahem
Mickle5125
Shouldn't he have the negotiation skill as well?
Godwyn
Johnny could beat the full force 13 spirit, as an adept. Which he would need to be, as the best theres ever been. Although it will be all he does at chargen.
And Artisan is Int based. . .

Human 0

Bod 3
Agi 3
Rea 3
Str 3
Cha 3
Int 7 (10)
Log 2
Wil 2
Edge 6
Mag 6
310 pts Including Edge and Mag

Qualities 35
Aptitude
Exceptional Attribute
Adept

Skills 34 pts
Artisan 7 (9 guitars/fiddle)

Adept Powers
Improved Ability Artisan 3
Improved Attribute Intuition 3
.75 remain

Gear
Limbic Amplifier Nanites 3 for 15k
Fiddle 5k? Since it costs more than 1 but less than 1 full BP of gear
383 build points

25 dice pool on artisan skills checks with fiddle. 31 when he spends edge on it, which the spirit cannot, usually.

Because Johnny, as an adept is -the best- at what he does.

And was listening to the song on repeat entire time I worked on this smile.gif

Edit: Was thinking of Free Spirits gaining karma not edge. So its a close battle though 31 to 33.
ravensmuse
Sorry. I knew it was relatively obscure, but worth a shot anyway.

Good movie. Comes recommended, especially if you're into blues players.
BRodda
QUOTE (Mickle5125 @ Jan 15 2010, 01:25 AM) *
Shouldn't he have the negotiation skill as well?

I thought about that, but then realized what would he negotiate? Its not like you can pick and choose what your selling for the Spirit Pact. And at worse he just defaults to his 13 Char.
BRodda
QUOTE (Godwyn @ Jan 15 2010, 05:38 AM) *
Johnny could beat the full force 13 spirit, as an adept. Which he would need to be, as the best theres ever been. Although it will be all he does at chargen.
And Artisan is Int based. . .

It depends on the GM and the test. To see how inspired it or original it is definitely Int, but for pure playing I would user reaction.

Also if he had the "Inspired" quality that's another +2 dice to all Artisian rolls.

He can definitely be beat. Its just not easy.( Whats the point of having someone that is unbeatable?)
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Jan 15 2010, 12:16 AM) *

interesting, as you find something similar here in norway, tho if its a import, or a christian variant of a older story i cant tell, as we have this in our folklore:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neck_%28water...ck.2C_N.C3.B8kk
Blade
QUOTE (BRodda @ Jan 15 2010, 01:48 PM) *
He can definitely be beat.

You just have to play the best song in the world.
Tiny Deev
Thanks. Now I have Tenacious D in my head. smile.gif
Nightfalke
QUOTE (Tiny Deev @ Jan 15 2010, 08:43 AM) *
Thanks. Now I have Tenacious D in my head. smile.gif

http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s113/Ni...=TenaciousD.gif

Edit: bwaa? Image code has failed me?
Re-edit: Pffft. Fine. Here's a link instead.
Ancient History
No images on Dumpshock, young shadowrunner.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 15 2010, 10:00 AM) *
No images on Dumpshock, young shadowrunner.

Bugs me constantly, as there have been a few things that worked better as a raw image than as a link.
Da9iel
Timely story I just read. It's short. Read it.
etherial
QUOTE (Da9iel @ Jan 16 2010, 09:35 PM) *
Timely story I just read. It's short. Read it.

Your story reminds me of Straight to Hell by Great Big Sea.

Lyrics behind the spoiler.
[ Spoiler ]
Snow_Fox
He was in a bind
'casue he was way behind
so he was willin' to make a deal

that one?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012