Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What happens when a mage is knocked out
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
WorkOver
Ok, I have a mage who has 5 spirits bound to her with about 3 services each.

This I have no issue with, in fact I am just going to have some mages banish them, if the player tries to abuse the system.

Dealing with this character is a non issue, as this character is already dead. She met her end by a sniper when she ruched headlong into an area that was covered by a sniper, that she knew was there, but was a know it all kind of player that tries to take over a game session.

You all know the type.

She burned edge to remain alive just long enough to have the other PC's stabalise her, and she is now in the hospital.

Tears and cries aplenty, I allowed it, as it's more fun to watch her get killed that to just buffalo her and kill her.

So, before when you got knocked out or in a coma, your summoned spirits left.

What about now? What happens to a mages bound spirits when they go into a coma or take a deadly wound? What if they simply get knocked out?

If nothing, then I would think the trauma team mages would banish them before they got her into the van, or the hospital staff mages would to avoid any hazards, but I like to follow rules in games.
Straight Razor
he gets shot in the head
Maelstrome
wish i had your guts.
wind_in_the_stones
I'm sure if there's a rule, someone will correct me...

I would say that if a mage is simply unconscious, the spirits will complete their tasks, and then go hang out with the wife and kids until the mage wakes to call them back to duty. Kinda like if she falls asleep. A coma, however, is another story. She's really shut down, and the spirits will escape bondage.

If the spirits are still there, and not under current orders, they will not be on the physical plane, and won't even be hanging around in astral unless told to do so. Doc Wagon or such would not have a problem. Now if she gave them orders to stick around and do something, you can play it out.

Tsuul
What happens when a mage is knocked out?
Someone pops up and says...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ1cJQ17sSk

Assuming a "Protect me" order was given. I kinda figure the spirits would watch from astral, and move to the waiting room when the EMTs start the transport. EMT mages wouldn't start combat unless it looked inevitable, and a quick assensing should match the spirit to the mage.
If the spirits didn't pounce on the party for resuscitation, then they won't pounce on the EMTs.
BRodda
QUOTE (WorkOver @ Jan 14 2010, 08:10 PM) *
What about now? What happens to a mages bound spirits when they go into a coma or take a deadly wound? What if they simply get knocked out?

If nothing, then I would think the trauma team mages would banish them before they got her into the van, or the hospital staff mages would to avoid any hazards, but I like to follow rules in games.

The rules, as they stand are if knocked out or in a coma they just wait in the astral in their magic holding pen.

However if the mage DIES (I define it as the heart stops beating) then the binding is dissolved.
WorkOver
she didn't die, I let her burn edge. more fun this way. Next step is the high cost of medical care, and the rest of the group is considering leaving her behind. The campaign is based in Tokyo, they are in Seattle doing a one shot game when this happened.

yes, she was THAT disruptive to the game, and now that she is humbled, I want to see it play out.

Ok, spirits are going to be banished, good times.
BRodda
QUOTE (WorkOver @ Jan 14 2010, 10:32 PM) *
she didn't die, I let her burn edge. more fun this way. Next step is the high cost of medical care, and the rest of the group is considering leaving her behind. The campaign is based in Tokyo, they are in Seattle doing a one shot game when this happened.

yes, she was THAT disruptive to the game, and now that she is humbled, I want to see it play out.

Ok, spirits are going to be banished, good times.

Its more of how you let the edge get burned as a GM. Did she get shoot in the head and revived or did the Hand of Fate jam the sniper rifle(for example)? Just a note for next time you use it. I tend to have HoF not let them die, but they are still wounded.
Falconer
Brodda... burned edge... just means that they don't die... It doesn't mean they don't pick up negative qualities... in fact it's generally recommended that the player should pick up ~10BP worth of negative qualities for burning edge like that.

it doesn't mean they don't end up with some kind of drawback... since this is a mage.. a particularly nasty one would be... the mind is fine... the bullet glances off the skull shattering it... you're looking at getting a cyberskull to replace it (or take a long time in the hospital while a new one is grown).

lost essence == lost magic... cyberskulls don't have much capacity but cost a lot of essence for not a lot of gain.

Tons of fun ways to give a player like that fun stuff. Maybe the headshot left her w/ some kind of mental damage like Obsessive Compulsive Disorder or amnesia :).
WorkOver
She burned the edge, I said the bullet cracked her head Kill Bill style with the bride. Shot put her 3 in her overflow, she only has a 2 body.

She is gonna have a plate at the best, but these 10 bp in flaws will be groovy I think.

Not the silly amnesia route, I am thinking more sinister like giving her combat paralysis, since she rushed head long into several fights.

I ma talking a loud mouth ex D&D player. She thought she was a bad ass with her 2 body and 8 initiative. She wandered off by herself at the crime mall. She attacked a pack of bargheists, she trashed talked to a street sam, each time the group saved her.

The last time, she jumped out of a window, had her air spirit float her down and into view of a door way they had blown off by accident just so she could shoot a spell at a cybered troll that the adpet was fighting and had handled.

A security team was dispatched to help, but saw no targets until she showed up. BOOM head shot. She was in plain view of the building, the side walk and street, took no effort to grab some cover and peek. She didn't even do an environment check, just wanted to blast the troll.

After she went down, she had the gaul to complain that she didn't appreciate a game where she could get smoked in one shot. In D&D she was able to fight just fine taking several hits from a sword. She wasn't complaining when she was tossing overcasted manabolts and dropping people in one shot, but had the guts to cry when it was her turn.

I smiled. Good times.
Blade
QUOTE (WorkOver @ Jan 15 2010, 02:39 PM) *
she jumped out of a window,

Was the windows closed? In that case: "Resist 5P/-1AP"
(see "Problem with Windows")
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012