Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Motion Sickness
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
wind_in_the_stones
I'm thinking of motion sickness as a negative quality. Five BP per rating. Each rating gives a -1 penalty to all tests while in a moving vehicle. What do you think?
The Monk
but only if you're in the back seat.
wind_in_the_stones
QUOTE (The Monk @ Jan 15 2010, 12:33 AM) *
but only if you're in the back seat.

Heh. That's kinda how it works for me. I'm okay if I can look out the windows. I can't read in the car. But I don't think the rules can allow for odd cases like that. Gotta keep it simple.

Hey, how did Seasickness work? Was that ever anyplace other than the Pirates sourcebook?
Draco18s
QUOTE (wind_in_the_stones @ Jan 15 2010, 12:00 AM) *
I'm okay if I can look out the windows. I can't read in the car. But I don't think the rules can allow for odd cases like that. Gotta keep it simple.

Ditto. Though if you want the rules to cover something like that I'd say it'd work like a mild alergy to a rare substance (5 points per -2 to -3).
wind_in_the_stones
Good point. I'd probably go with -2, since vehicles aren't extremely rare.

I wonder if we should add something about nausea.

5 BP: per rating. Every X turns, make WPR check, with a threshold of 2 x rating or become nauseous.
The Jopp
Motion Sickness could also induce Vertigo which would affect your balance.

Perhaps -1 to balance tests or a WP test or the character has to stop and stabilize him/herself.
Karoline
I think just giving the nauseous status would be a decent aproximation.

Keep in mind that someone with this might also get screwed up by AR because it can make it look like she is moving when actually sitting still (Which can in fact induce motion sickness)
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Karoline @ Jan 18 2010, 09:39 AM) *
I think just giving the nauseous status would be a decent aproximation.

Keep in mind that someone with this might also get screwed up by AR because it can make it look like she is moving when actually sitting still (Which can in fact induce motion sickness)

Quoted for Truth.

For example, think about when you're playing a FPS for a long time. I know that I've gotten ill because of that.
Karoline
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jan 18 2010, 09:54 AM) *
Quoted for Truth.

For example, think about when you're playing a FPS for a long time. I know that I've gotten ill because of that.

Hehe, sure that isn't the blood and guts flying everywhere? nyahnyah.gif

But yeah, I heard alot of people got sick during the first part of Avatar because there was so much movement and everything. Was basically just plain old motion sickness.

Oh, and keep in mind that motion sickness gives a bonus against ingested toxins.
Method
I would give a -2 DP modifier to all tests while moving (including AR//VR where appropriate), which continues after they stop moving for a number of turns equal to half the turns that they spent moving. I would specify that this is only in effect when they are *not moving under their own control* (walking or driving a car for example doesn't generally cause motion sickness).
Karoline
I'm not sure that VR would cause motion sickness since it blocks normal signals to your brain and replaces them. I could see a very strong argument for VR providing the proper signals to prevent motion sickness (Otherwise even people who don't get motion sick easily would likely get it due to the massive disparity between what you see and what you're body is actually doing)

Might require special software for people who are extra sensitive to make sure it does it right... of course that is just my idea, not really sure how exactly VR works after all. But like I said, if it didn't have a system like this, even people who aren't particularly susceptible to motion sickness would be hurling in no time.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jan 18 2010, 10:54 AM) *
Quoted for Truth.

I never get ill from playing First Person Shooters. Even when I play for several hours. The people that I know who do have problems with First Person Shooters aren't also the same people who get motion sickness in moving vehicles.

I wouldn't attach a penalty to AR or VR, since that Negative Quality also exists in the game (Simsense Vertigo).
Method
QUOTE (Karoline @ Jan 18 2010, 12:48 PM) *
Otherwise even people who don't get motion sick easily would likely get it due to the massive disparity between what you see and what you're body is actually doing...
You mean like Simsense Vertigo? wink.gif
Karoline
QUOTE (Method @ Jan 18 2010, 04:48 PM) *
You mean like Simsense Vertigo? wink.gif

No, Vertigo is an entirely different phenomenon.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Karoline @ Jan 18 2010, 05:02 PM) *
No, Vertigo is an entirely different phenomenon.
But vertigo and motion sickness are commonly conflated terms. So much so that patients who have read too much Internet junk medicine will come in complaining of motion sickness when they actually have Vertigo and vice versa. Or they'll say they have Vertigo when they actually just have nausea. And so on and so forth. Vertigo is not Disorientation (although it can make you quite disoriented, when it occurs).

Still, I'd make the Motion Sickness negative quality affect you only if not in AR/VR. Possibly give a lowered benefit for people who are hackers/technomancers, as it would affect them less if it didn't affect you in AR/VR (it shouldn't, in VR, because of the various "cutoff" systems you have when you go full VR). We already have Simsense Vertigo, and if you wanted a character that was disoriented in simsense AND in moving vehicles, you can pick up both negative qualities, I guess.
Method
Actually, if we're going to get all medical about it, benign positional vertigo is directly related to motion sickness, as it is caused by out-of-place otoliths in the vestibular system of the inner ear. So to be precise, it is the use of the term "vertigo" to describe disorientation from using simsense that is inaccurate (which was kind of the joke behind my tongue-in-cheek statement above, but that didn't translate well).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012