Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Becoming infected...what happens to magic?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Machiavelli
The rules say:
Magic and Essence
Starting Infected characters start with Essence 5 and Magic 1
during character generation.
But what if you become infected during gameplay?

Besides that, i really donīt understand the following rule, especially the bold section. What situation could cause this effect?

For Infected characters with Essence Loss, Magic loss does
not occur every time they lose or spend a point of Essence, and
their maximum Magic attribute is equal to their current Essence
+ Initiate grade. If their maximum Magic attribute is lower than
their current Magic attribute, their current Magic rating is adjusted
down to the reduced maximum.
These points are lost and
must be repurchased with Karma. Infected characters can temporarily
exceed their current Magic maximum by spending Essence
points (see Essence Drain, p. 288, SR4).
Cardul
To the first: It stays the same.

To the Second: The loss of Essence in this way does not
disrupt their ability to work magic like cyber/bioware does,
but, if their essence drops low enough that Essence+Initiate Grade
is less then their current Magic, their magic would drop, because they
do not have the life force to fuel that strength of magic. This loss also
disrupts their aability to use magic at those levels, representign a weakened
connection to the mystical because of, essentially, starvation, and it takes
effort to get it back.
hobgoblin
remember that the magic attribute works just like any other attribute, you have a current (that is the number of dice you roll) and a max (how high you can buy your current using karma).

max magic (and therefor current) is limited by two things, essence, and initiation levels.

with creatures like vampires, the essence can go up and down like rollercoaster.

now lets say that you have a character with current magic 4, max magic 6 and essence 6.

as max magic is linked to essence, if that essence was to drop to say 3, max magic would also be 3, and thats lower then your current magic. Therefor current magic would go down to 3. Now, if essence was to go back up to 6, max magic would also go up to 6, but current magic would still be 3. So if that vampire wants it back up to 4, he would have to spend karma.

now initiation adds a extra wrinkle to that, as it adds directly to max magic. So if that vampire in the example had say initiation 3, he would have max magic 9, and even if the essence was to drop by 3, he would still be at max magic 6, and current magic would stay 4, as thats still lower then the max magic.
Machiavelli
But wouldnīt that mean that if you are an initate with e.g. rating 4 and you already raised your magic to 10, you are really f**ed up if you every loose essence below 10?
hobgoblin
nope, but below 6 essence would be a issue.

your total max magic is between 1 and 12 (from essence level, and no infected wants their essence to drop to 0) + 4 (from initiation levels).
Draco18s
Ok, despite those explanations I'm still confused.

Magic loss does

Magic loss DOES NOT HAPPEN when they spend essence AND THEIR MAGIC IS CAPPED BY ESSENCE.

This is contradictory. Either they lose the frakking magic or they don't.
Ancient History
Let's say you're a vampire and you have Magic 4 and Essence 6. Your maximum Magic, based on your Essence, is also 6.

Now let's say you spend two points of Essence, so you're down to Essence 4. Your maximum Magic, based on your Essence, is also 4. No problems yet.

Now let's say you lose another point of Essence. Your maximum Magic, based on your Essence, is now 3. Your current Magic (4) is greater than your maximum (3) so your Magic is adjusted downwards (i.e. when your Essence drops to 3, your Magic drops to 3).

What this basically means is that magician Infected need to keep their Essence higher, or else they start losing Magic.
Draco18s
So in other words:

Magic loss effectively does
occur every time they lose or spend a point of Essence, as
Ancient History
No. If their Essence is greater than their Magic, they do not lose Magic when they lose Essence.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 17 2010, 10:59 AM) *
No. If their Essence is greater than their Magic, they do not lose Magic when they lose Essence.

It is still poorly worded.
Ancient History
Have you read the entire paragraph?
For Infected characters with Essence Loss, Magic loss does
+ Initiate grade. If their maximum Magic attribute is lower than
their current Magic attribute, their current Magic rating is adjusted
down to the reduced maximum. These points are lost and
must be repurchased with Karma. Infected characters can temporarily
exceed their current Magic maximum by spending Essence
points (see Essence Drain, p. 288, SR4). Infected characters with
Essence Drain can only maintain siphoned Essence equal to twice
its natural maximum (from 6 to 12). Any Essence Drained above
that point is simply lost.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 17 2010, 11:37 AM) *
Have you read the entire paragraph?

Yes I did. My point was that the actual crunch is confusing, although the example makes it pretty clear.
WalksWithWiFi
When you are drained and infected by a vampire, your essence drops to 0
wouldn't your magic?
Draco18s
QUOTE (WalksWithWiFi @ Jan 17 2010, 12:13 PM) *
When you are drained and infected by a vampire, your essence drops to 0
wouldn't your magic?

Then you turn into a vampire, have 5 essence and a magic of 1.
WalksWithWiFi
I believe that was his first question?
Which someone answered the contrary to,
either that or my brain isn't awake yet.
Starmage21
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jan 17 2010, 01:20 PM) *
Then you turn into a vampire, have 5 essence and a magic of 1.

I believe his question refers to what happens if you get infected during play as a magician. And the answer is bad stuff. First, as your essence drops to 0, so does your magic, and you burn out(but you dont lose the magician quality). That doesnt matter though, because you fall into a coma immediately thereafter.
In 24 hours, you wake up with 1 essence, and 1 magic. You are still a magician, and you can still cast spells, but youve got that 1 magic rating and you have to raise your magic back up with karma. Of course, your maximum magic is standard for vampires so you've got to feed on some essence before you can think about raising your magic again(unless you were an initiate before becoming infected).
Machiavelli
So i havenīt been the only one who was confused and my fear that your magic drops to 1, independently how high it has been before. This makes an infection really unpleasant during play and definitely a second thought should be made before this happens.
Starmage21
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Jan 17 2010, 03:00 PM) *
So i havenīt been the only one who was confused and my fear that your magic drops to 1, independently how high it has been before. This makes an infection really unpleasant during play and definitely a second thought should be made before this happens.

I'm not 100% sure theres a rule in SR4 that says you burn out automatically if your essence drops to 0, otherwise if youre an initiate, you could still have a few points of magic left over post infection.

That aside, yea it really really sucks to become a vamp during play. Youre better off paying your 100BP up front and going from there. Youll be less gimped.
WalksWithWiFi
Just a quick addition to the first question,
while looking through Running Wild this morning, (pg. 68)
and reading over the reprinted disease rules for the various strains
of HMHVV virus, i noticed this under HMHVV 1

"If the test fails, the character falls into a coma for (30 – Body)
hours as his body transforms. When the character awakens, he has
lost all Resonance and technomancer abilities, has acquired the appropriate
Infected (Banshee, Dzoo-noo-qua, Goblin, Nosferatu,
Vampire, or Wendigo) Quality (see Positive Infected Qualities,
p. 79, Runner’s Companion), and has an Essence of 1 and Magic of
1 (or retains her own Magic attribute, if higher)"

a a changed magician retains their magic attribute, regardless.
Machiavelli
Oh god i love you. Please make me a baby.^^ Great, thank you, finally the sentence i was looking for all the time. I owe you one.
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Jan 20 2010, 03:15 PM) *
Oh god i love you. Please make me a baby.^^ Great, thank you, finally the sentence i was looking for all the time. I owe you one.

Until the devs realize that and errata the stuff on Running Wild grinbig.gif
Machiavelli
They shouldnīt even think about it. Not until i have morphed my char.^^ After that only a spirit pact with the included "hidden life" option is left. Then i am the ultimate black mage.^^
WalksWithWiFi
I view the addition of that text in Running Wild as a form of errata, since it is a newer
interpretation of the various diseases.
Patrick the Gnome
I think that just means that you'd get to keep you're initiate grade enhanced magic, but still with a normal max of 1. Remember, before you ever fall into a transformation coma, you have to lose all your essence first. So you'd still reduce your essence to one, which reduces your max magic to 1 + initiate grade, which wouldn't change after the transformation. So if you were a magic 10 mage with 4 initiations, you'd be a magic 5 mage after becoming a vampire (because before you transformed your magic would be reduced by 5 due to essence loss).
Draco18s
QUOTE (Patrick the Gnome @ Jan 20 2010, 03:05 PM) *
I think that just means that you'd get to keep you're initiate grade enhanced magic, but still with a normal max of 1.

Or....maybe not.

"(or retains her own Magic attribute, if higher)"
Patrick the Gnome
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jan 20 2010, 03:08 PM) *
Or....maybe not.

"(or retains her own Magic attribute, if higher)"

Right, after the transformation. But before the transformation ever happens, your essence has to be reduced, which always causes magic loss. I think what that passage means is that if you're magic would be like 4 after the transformation because you have a higher max with initiation, it's not reduced to 1, it stays at 4. You have to remember, a vampire doesn't have to take all that essence at once, it could happen over the course of days or months or years. The Essence Drain power has nothing to do with the Infection power. It doesn't matter if the vampire who's infecting you steals your essence over the course of months or minutes, your magic is still going to be reduced whenever he takes a bite.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Patrick the Gnome @ Jan 20 2010, 03:15 PM) *
Right, after the transformation. But before the transformation ever happens, your essence has to be reduced, which always causes magic loss. I think what that passage means is that if you're magic would be like 4 after the transformation because you have a higher max with initiation, it's not reduced to 1, it stays at 4. You have to remember, a vampire doesn't have to take all that essence at once, it could happen over the course of days or months or years. The Essence Drain power has nothing to do with the Infection power. It doesn't matter if the vampire who's infecting you steals your essence over the course of months or minutes, your magic is still going to be reduced whenever he takes a bite.

Good point. smile.gif
WalksWithWiFi
QUOTE (Patrick the Gnome @ Jan 20 2010, 01:05 PM) *
I think that just means that you'd get to keep you're initiate grade enhanced magic, but still with a normal max of 1. Remember, before you ever fall into a transformation coma, you have to lose all your essence first. So you'd still reduce your essence to one, which reduces your max magic to 1 + initiate grade, which wouldn't change after the transformation. So if you were a magic 10 mage with 4 initiations, you'd be a magic 5 mage after becoming a vampire (because before you transformed your magic would be reduced by 5 due to essence loss).

very good point
Squinky
When does the twinkling in sunlight start?
Starmage21
QUOTE (Squinky @ Jan 20 2010, 08:34 PM) *

Where do you think the -2 dice comes from while in sunlight?!
AngelisStorm
QUOTE (Squinky @ Jan 20 2010, 07:34 PM) *

When you cast a high force "Alleviate Allergy" spell.
Draco18s
QUOTE (AngelisStorm @ Jan 21 2010, 03:02 AM) *
When you cast a high force "Alleviate Allergy" spell.

Pre'much
WalksWithWiFi
QUOTE (Squinky @ Jan 20 2010, 05:34 PM) *

I like the usage of twinkling there bro.

Squinky
I stole that from you bastards, when I started talking about playing a vamp smile.gif
WalksWithWiFi
it's either the sparkling or you take the positive quality "not gay" (30 bp as a refresher)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012