Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Germany Campaign.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Navar
I'm thinking of running a campaign set in Germany, as the title might have implied. However; I don't have much information on this city in 4th edition. I was hoping some of you could provide me with an insight to its inner workings and setting. The reason I've chosen Germany is due to the players and myself wishing for a new experience. We've tried Seattle, Miami, and Vegas. Without insulting any of my players, some of them have decided that they would rather not play in the 3 aforementioned cities for their own individual reasons. I'm trying to find a compromise as players are hard to come by for myself. It would also be beneficial if you could tell me which book I should locate/purchase to do my own research for Germany around year 2075.
Warlordtheft
The German Sourcebook if you have it/can find it (old FASA sourcebook). What German cities are you interested in?

Corprate or runners havens does give a brief expose on Hannover I think.

PS: Berlin is mentioned a little. It is half Neo Anarchist, and half corporate (making for some interesting neighbors).
Navar
Berlin seems like the most interesting choice, However; I was wondering about the country as a whole. My teams generally end up traveling due to missions gone awry as well as successful.
WalksWithWiFi
wasn't there a chapter in Shadows of Europe as well?
a lot of the material is the same as the german sourcebook, if memory serves,
just updated closer to the 70's mark.
Medicineman
IIRC there will be a Berlin Sourcebook But don't ask me exactly when smile.gif

JahtaHey
Medicineman
Blackb1rd
http://wiki.dumpshock.com/index.php/Allied_German_States

Hope that helps a little.
Stahlseele
Well, as a true Hanseatic, i have to pitch in for Hamburg.
Probably the most detailed german City in the whole Shadowrun Universe.
Shadow Cities had a big article in the german version at least.
MYST1C
QUOTE (Navar @ Jan 22 2010, 09:10 PM) *
It would also be beneficial if you could tell me which book I should locate/purchase to do my own research for Germany around year 2075.

Not much has been published in English about SR's Germany. There's the old SR1/2 Germany Sourcebook (2053), a chapter in SR3's Shadows of Europe (2062) and - for SR4 - a brief overview of Hamburg in Runner Havens (2070).

Now, should you be able to read German (I guess you aren't) there's much more - I'll list only the SR4 stuff:
  • The German translation of Runner Havens ("Schattenstädte") has a much longer Hamburg chapter, same size as the Seattle and Hong Kong entries*.
  • The German translation of Corporate Enclaves ("Konzernenklaven") has an additional Frankfurt chapter, same size as the Los Angeles and Neo-Tokyo entries.
  • The German-only München Noir (part of FanPro's short-lived "Hot Spot" series - half sourcebook, half campaign) details the city of Munich (OOP).
  • The German-only SOX (the second and last book of the "Hot Spot" series) details the irradiated SOX area on the French-German border (OOP).

* Schattenstädte was recently re-released, updated to 2072. This includes not only a reworked Seattle chapter (based on Seattle 2072) but also another expansion of the Hamburg chapter. Plus, the book now includes the Marseille entry from the French translation of Runner Havens!
BishopMcQ
In addition to the sources listed above, Dawn of the Artifacts will have some and the 6th World Almanac. (Neither is out quite yet, but it's coming.)

Pegasus Books in Germany sells the German versions with the extra sections mentioned above. If you don't speak/read German, they'll be a little tricky. That said, they are still worth picking up since the German copies have additional art added to them during the translation to fit the new pagination based on the A4 size and the text differences.
MYST1C
QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Jan 22 2010, 11:49 PM) *
That said, they are still worth picking up since the German copies have additional art added to them during the translation to fit the new pagination based on the A4 size and the text differences.

Another fact: All SR releases by Pegasus so far have been hardcovers!

Concerning artwork, layout, etc: Pegasus has been the German Call of Cthulhu licensee for ~10 years. Chaosium liked the new layout and artwork put into the German CoC translations so much it was adapted for the US releases as well... (And as with SR Pegasus is allowed to produce original CoC books, not just translations.)
BishopMcQ
Mystic--true, and the hardcovers would be almost enough for me to buy them as a collector, but the art cinched the deal. There is some really great artwork in the German versions.
Sengir
QUOTE (MYST1C @ Jan 22 2010, 11:57 PM) *
Another fact: All SR releases by Pegasus so far have been hardcovers!

And they come with a TOC + index...
raben-aas
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jan 22 2010, 10:34 PM) *
Well, as a true Hanseatic, i have to pitch in for Hamburg.
Probably the most detailed german City in the whole Shadowrun Universe.

Phaw! Only until the Berlin sourcebook releases. Berlin rules! (Guess where I live)
smile.gif smile.gif biggrin.gif
Navar
I live in the states, and I must say. I don't really get the point in trying a "new" campaign if I'm not willing to submerge myself into other cultures whether it be location or meta-variant based. As such I've been trying to find out more about locations around the SR world. So far I've hit dead ends due to lack of source material whether its due to my own lack of knowledge concerning the languages in question or the delay on as of yet non-published information.

However being from NA and done some travelling in my youth, Also living in such close proximity to Nashville, I do feel some hometown familiarity to some of the locations and campaigns. So I've fallen back into just running a campaign spanning the entirety of North America, or rather the locations I deem major or that peak my interest. I'm obviously really excited about DoA and 6thA. Hopefully it should clear up a lot of pending questions on all our minds.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (raben-aas @ Mar 2 2010, 10:11 AM) *
Phaw! Only until the Berlin sourcebook releases. Berlin rules! (Guess where I live)
smile.gif smile.gif biggrin.gif

whee nobody else wants to live i guess ^^
Ryu
Knowing both cities for real and in SR, my choice would be Hamburg. The maritime nature of the setting adds tons of additional options.
Navar
Due to my last post, most of my runners have agreed to a campaign spanning two continents and perhaps some gulf isles, as such it would be appreciated if some one could detail/list off the any info for the NA and SA major cities and territories. Just book titles and editions should do, if possible page numbers would be amazing. Thanks, in advance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012