Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Radiation Spell
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Machiavelli
Hello Dumpshockers. I have some questions i hope you can help me with:

First: I know that i have seen the characteristics of a radiation-based combat spel somewhereel, but i cannot find it anymore. Do you know in which book it was?

Second: being a toxic mage is restricted to NPC´s, but how about toxic magic like the above mentioned combat spell? Are they also restricted to toxics?

Third: Would a mage under a radiation-based version of "energy aura" suffer from radiation damage if he enters an beforehand "contaminated" area? (I think that the radiation effect also inflicts radiation to the area it was cast in) Correct?
DireRadiant
If you describe the mechanical effects you wish to achieve with this spell, there is no doubt a corresponding existing spell to look at modeling after, or a way to use the customs spell design rules to do so.

For example you could just take Toxic Wave, and just call it "Radiation"
hobgoblin
try page 145 of street magic. The sidebar there should hold a description of a radiation elemental effect.

then just swap out the fire effect of fireball with that one, or any other elemental effect based spell, and your good to go.
Surukai
Expect Knight Errand to spend extra resources locating mages using radiation damage since it both leaves way more traces and is scary as hell smile.gif
Dr.Rockso
Radiation elemental spells are a quick way to get geeked. Like jumping up and down going " I'm toxic! I'm toxic! Someone come get the huge bounty on my head!" But up until the black choppers come it must be REAL fun vegm.gif

EDIT: But of course I can't read and skipped point #2. My bad. Durrrr.....
Larsine
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Jan 25 2010, 08:00 PM) *
First: I know that i have seen the characteristics of a radiation-based combat spel somewhereel, but i cannot find it anymore. Do you know in which book it was?

Page 17 of Digital Grimoire has Radiation Shield and Radiation Barrier, both being Manipulation spells rather than Combat spells.

Lars
hobgoblin
i keep forgetting that said pdf exists...
Machiavelli
I think i remember an adenture where you got attacked by an toxic mage in the german SOX, may this be the source of my assumption? Hmmm....
Neraph
QUOTE (Larsine @ Jan 26 2010, 10:54 AM) *
Page 17 of Digital Grimoire has Radiation Shield and Radiation Barrier, both being Manipulation spells rather than Combat spells.

Lars

Which, as I've pointed out, does not (by RAW) stop the secondary effects of radiation, so you still die when you encounter enough. I'll try to track down that thread from a year-ish ago.

EDIT: Whabam!
hobgoblin
and thats probably why the decontamination spell exists in the same pdf...
Neraph
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jan 26 2010, 11:52 AM) *
and thats probably why the decontamination spell exists in the same pdf...

No, that spell does not matter in the least. All it does is add dice to the Resistance Test, but as I've pointed out in the thread I linked, you can have as many dice for the Resistance Test as you want, you still are subject to the secondary effects of radiation. You can have five quintillion dice to resist, but if you are subjected at all you still fall into the secondary effects. This is what people on the thread I linked could not understand.

Now, if Decontamination instead lowered your radiation level, that would be a different story. It does not, however, and simply fails to give ample protection under the rules.
Abschalten
I'm having a hard time figuring out what's so "toxic" about radiation. It's a naturally occuring phenomenon. Hell, we have radioactive isotopes inside our bodies *right this very second.* Not only that, radiation encompasses all forms of radio waves, visible light, and particles given off during radioactive decay.

An easy way to justify a radiation spell is to say that the spell excites the electron clouds of atoms in the area, and when that energy is lost it takes the form of gamma rays. You can irradiate a smallish area in this way (up to Force meters in radius with enough hits) and that the level of irradiation drops for every couple of meters away from the source (which is actually harsh given the inverse square relationship in real life to distance and radiation dose.) The spell in that regard wouldn't be much different than a combination of Ignite (read the description of what it does) and Mana Static, except it's giving acute doses of radiation to the local environment rather than increasing background count or exciting particles until they have enough internal heat to hit combustion.
Ascalaphus
QUOTE (Abschalten @ Jan 27 2010, 02:24 AM) *
I'm having a hard time figuring out what's so "toxic" about radiation. It's a naturally occurring phenomenon. Hell, we have radioactive isotopes inside our bodies *right this very second.* Not only that, radiation encompasses all forms of radio waves, visible light, and particles given off during radioactive decay.

I recall that it's been mentioned here and there, that radioactivity and mana have very peculiar (unpleasant) interactions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012