Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: a rl step toward cyberware
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
locomotiveman
step towards cyberware

There it is, a robosuit. Remarkably, the article doesn't mention any potential military applications, which while not necisarlly there at the current step would be fairly easy to get to.
Zazen
I think the Bear Suit is way cooler. Anyone remember that weird guy who spent thousands making his own indestructible bear suit?
Game2BHappy
The bear suit was one of the funniest things I have ever seen. I haven't looked at any of the recent stuff, but the old films were hilarious. smile.gif
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Am I the only one worried that they called it HAL?

"HAL, I wanna go over there!"
"I cannot do that, Dave."
hobgoblin
kinda cool but stil reply on mucle twitch for control. stillwaiting for the implent chip that sends out a small signal when it detects specific neural patterns (mutch mroe accurate as it can be inserted to detect right at the nerve rather then on the outer skin)...
GunnerJ
A semi-related question: if technology like a datajack ever came about, would you get one, if you could?
Fortune
Yes!
I am Jin
Don't have a link for it or anything, but some people at... I think Washington University (i.e. the state) made micro-engines which generated electricity from heat. They are some number of nanometers thick and about a millimeter or two on a side, and they expand from heat transfering to a liquid in their center and then contract as that heat is dissipated very quickly (only by small amount, after all, these things are small, and appear mostly flat, so this isn't much liquid...) and the energy from the moving membrane generates heat. I forget the specifics off the top of my head... maybe someone could do a search and find something else out about it, I just threw away the hardcopy I had of the article a couple hours ago.

Also in Japan some guys figured out a complex math formula they have a computer chugging away at to design new alloys. Up till now alloys have been mostly buy just guessing "maybe if I throw some of this in with some of this and a pinch of that and heat it to so much and cool it like that and maybe sprinkle some of this it will do something useful?" But now, with this formula they have begun making alloys with properties that verge on the magical. I, personally, think they should make some kickass swords, now, but allas, they are gonna focus on making alloys for use in the space program instead. spin.gif
El_Machinae
Yeah, we'd all just CRY if the space program got a boost, wouldn't we?

The goose in me really likes seeing the predictions made about 2063, and then watching to see if we really can get the technology faster.

I read an interesting article in the NY times about slowing down parts of the brain to trigger the savant abilities available in other parts of the brain. And I could only think about the Math SPU cyberware (which augments the brain's ability ... it's not an internal calculator). I don't think I'm allowed to post the NYTimes link, though, because it's a subscription paper.

Article on brain enhancement

I get the impression that the reporter wasn't 100% on the theory, but Allan Snyder seems to have some good qualifications.
Fortune
NY Times links are fine. We even have our own Dumpshock subscription. wink.gif
El_Machinae
Well, in that case ... here's the original article.

Rain-Man Science. Definitely.

How do I open it with a dumpshock subscription?
Fortune
login: dumpshock
password: forum
Buzzed
How is this a step toward cyberware? Cyberware is electronics that communicate with your nerves. This suit is just a fancy wheelchair without wheels. Or a fancy crutch without the use of your arms.

There have been electrical implants to help people function normally. The most commonly used cyberware today - pacemakers. Electrodes have been used for a while now to allow people to use paralized leg muscles. Now those things are more like cyberware then this silly suit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012