Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adept Powers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Zolhex
Ok I got a concept for a character but this answer has me questioning what I want to do.

The answer on the SR4 site pretty much says an adept character is not allowed to have any one adept power that is purchaced in levels higher than his/her magic attribute.

What if the power that is purchaced is able to be applied to different areas of the character?

Like Attribute Boost is the power but I want it for Body and Strength or Improved Ability Swords and First Aid.

Is my character limited to my magic rating thus he can get this power on 2 things but max for both is 3 or can max on both be 6?
Professor Evil Overlord
I believe the max is counted for each ability separately, but remember that you still have to pay for all of your abilities out of your available power point allotment (ie your magic). Also keep the augmented limit in mind when choosing abilities (abilities typically say when they are an exception).

Hope that helps.
Dragnar
That's correct. Every single adept power is limited in rating to your magic attribute. You can have all your powers at the cap (even if some of those "different" powers happen to be variations of the same power).
You'll never actually want to get Attribute Boost on a rating higher than 1, anyways, though, as you'd been paying for the privilege of having the power become worse. That really should have been a binary power to remove the trap option...
Achsin
How does Attribute boost become worse at higher levels?
Ophis
QUOTE (Achsin @ Feb 5 2010, 02:02 PM) *
How does Attribute boost become worse at higher levels?

Not so much becoming worse, it's just you don't get much return for the higher levels.
Dragnar
You get a really low additional effect (as the dice pool is magic+rating, upping the rating isn't all that hot), while paying the same amount for each point above 1 and you dramatically increase the drain.

An adept using rating 1 Attribute Boost (lets say magic 5) gets 2 attribute points, has to resist 1S damage and paid 0.25 Power Points.
An adept using rating 4 Attribute Boost gets 3 attribute points, has to resist a more substantial 4S damage and paid 1 Power Point.
Higher levels are absolutely not worth it.
Achsin
gotcha. didn't see the drain part right.
Thanee
Yeah, the Drain figure on that one is a bit weird...

Bye
Thanee
Draco18s
QUOTE (Dragnar @ Feb 5 2010, 09:16 AM) *
An adept using rating 4 Attribute Boost gets 3 attribute points, has to resist a more substantial 4S damage and paid 1 Power Point.

Or for the same cost, and no drain, you could permanently increase the attribute by 1.
Zolhex
The power I'm looking to take would be from the digital grimoire called supernatural toughness and i was thinking of takeing 3 points on both physical and stun damage tracks.

Makeing a troll tank 9 body and a 5 willpower so he can take all kinds of damage should he need to.
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Casazil @ Feb 5 2010, 03:58 PM) *
The power I'm looking to take would be from the digital grimoire called supernatural toughness and i was thinking of takeing 3 points on both physical and stun damage tracks.

Makeing a troll tank 9 body and a 5 willpower so he can take all kinds of damage should he need to.

Sure you can do that, I am not sure why. But you can..
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Feb 5 2010, 02:33 PM) *
Sure you can do that, I am not sure why. But you can..

I got a combat monkey Troll with 20 Health Boxes Physical... it is pretty awesome...

Keep the Faith

Zolhex
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Feb 5 2010, 04:59 PM) *
I got a combat monkey Troll with 20 Health Boxes Physical... it is pretty awesome...

Keep the Faith

Heh 9 body divided by 2 round up is 5 + 8 + 5 boxes from adept power + 3 boxes from quality tough as nails = 21
and a 5 willpower divided by 2 round up is 3 + 8 + 5 boxes from adept power = 16

This guy can take a hit yes it's all my adept powers in 2 powers for one thing but he's the close combat guy he needs to be able to take it.
Muspellsheimr
To the original question: As others have stated, the maximum level of individual Adept powers is limited to the Adept's Magic attribute. There is no limitation on the number of powers that can be at this maximum. Further, each power in question is considered separate powers - Improved Ability [Pistols] is a different power than Improved Ability [Gymnastics].
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Casazil @ Feb 5 2010, 06:12 PM) *
Heh 9 body divided by 2 round up is 5 + 8 + 5 boxes from adept power + 3 boxes from quality tough as nails = 21
and a 5 willpower divided by 2 round up is 3 + 8 + 5 boxes from adept power = 16

This guy can take a hit yes it's all my adept powers in 2 powers for one thing but he's the close combat guy he needs to be able to take it.

Yep... that is all your Magical Powers in 2 powers... The character I was talking about only wastes Monetary Resources (And Essence of course)... and did not have all the levels of the Tough as Nails Quality yet (Ran out of karma)... But yes, A physical adept can indeed get uber specialized... But I have yet to see an actual MAGE do that particular build... it MAY be possible, but I am not sure how...

Keep the Faith
Nows7
I think the Heightened concentration power from the digital grimoire would be great for that type of build. If you've got damage tracks of 20 and 15, then you could have some pretty harsh wound penalties.

Wouldn't spending some of your power points on avoidance and soak also be a good idea though? Combat sense will give you more die to avoid ALL the damage, and it reduces net hits; which is a bit like having an extra box on your track for every hit you negate. A platelet factory and a Trauma dampener plus some bonelaceing could be well worth the point of magic you loose.

Odds are you won't be taking 20 boxes of damage in ONE hit, and if you are, your GM needs to not let mooks go full auto with a rocket launcher. So you'll be getting shot several times. If you get shot three times, the combat sense can give you 3x3=9 extra dice to negate hits/net hits and possibly the whole damage. A trauma dampener will shift three physical damage to stun, or negate three stun if the damage is less than your armor. The platelet factory can negate three damage. Basically, if you dodge an attack, it's worth a couple of boxes of damage, get shot three times and your platelet factory will be worth three boxes, those are all multiplicative, while more boxes are just additive.

Perhaps a bit of diversification would give you better results.

YMMV.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Nows7 @ Feb 6 2010, 04:55 PM) *
I think the Heightened concentration power from the digital grimoire would be great for that type of build. If you've got damage tracks of 20 and 15, then you could have some pretty harsh wound penalties.

Wouldn't spending some of your power points on avoidance and soak also be a good idea though? Combat sense will give you more die to avoid ALL the damage, and it reduces net hits; which is a bit like having an extra box on your track for every hit you negate. A platelet factory and a Trauma dampener plus some bonelaceing could be well worth the point of magic you loose.

Odds are you won't be taking 20 boxes of damage in ONE hit, and if you are, your GM needs to not let mooks go full auto with a rocket launcher. So you'll be getting shot several times. If you get shot three times, the combat sense can give you 3x3=9 extra dice to negate hits/net hits and possibly the whole damage. A trauma dampener will shift three physical damage to stun, or negate three stun if the damage is less than your armor. The platelet factory can negate three damage. Basically, if you dodge an attack, it's worth a couple of boxes of damage, get shot three times and your platelet factory will be worth three boxes, those are all multiplicative, while more boxes are just additive.

Perhaps a bit of diversification would give you better results.

YMMV.

I agree here... a different build with the Physad could provide much better results than you are getting (Combat sense is pretty awesome after all)... the nice thing about the build (Mundane) I was referencing is that the character had those 20 Phys. Health Boxes and the bioware (Trauma Damper and Platelet Factories) to keep the character extremely viable... now, I did have to give up a fair piece to obtain all that specialization, but overall, the character worked out pretty well, and he made a prety effective Tank in the end... the nice thing about SR4 is that there is never a lack of any thing to spend Karma on...

Keep the Faith
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012