Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eastern Europe
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
macd21
Shadows of Europe seems to ignore most of Eastern Europe, though IIRC the intro at the start indicates that there was supposed to be a chapter covering the balkans and various minor countries not given chapters of their own - a chapter which seems to be missing in my copy. Was this ever made available anywhere?
Snow_Fox
I don't think so. SoE sort of frames that area but leave Hungary, Slovakia, Serbia on south open. I kind of veiwed the stretch of Serbia/Kosovo/Albania south as pretty wild territory but I'd like to know about greece and the Turks
LivingOxymoron
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Feb 6 2010, 10:05 AM) *
I don't think so. SoE sort of frames that area but leave Hungary, Slovakia, Serbia on south open. I kind of veiwed the stretch of Serbia/Kosovo/Albania south as pretty wild territory but I'd like to know about greece and the Turks

Shadows of Asia covers the 2 nations that make up modern day Turkey.
Sengir
Shadows of Asia has info about Russia and what formerly was Siberia and Shadows of Europe covers Poland and CZ. IIRC what is left of Yugoslavia is explained in Feral Cities because it is mostly just that - a bunch of city-states and bandit kingdoms in a state of constant civil war.
Professor Evil Overlord
There is also a little bit of information on Russia in Target: Smuggler Havens.
Penta
Did Greece ever get covered though?
Snow_Fox
A couple of snide comments in Paranormal Creatures of Europe.
Professor Evil Overlord
QUOTE (Penta @ Feb 6 2010, 10:16 AM) *
Did Greece ever get covered though?

It isn't covered in any of the Shadows of... books.

I don't remember any mention of it aside from the afore mentioned comments in Paranormal Animals of Europe.
Nath
SOTA:2063 features a tourist trip in Athens.
macd21
Pulled out Shadows of E - Synner's intro on page 8 indicates that the book should end with by "briefly touching on all the parts of Europe that don't get full coverage... the Balkans, the Baltics and Greece". Sounds like there was going to be an extra chapter in the book (similar to the one at the end of SoA) to give a quick look at the other countries, but it was cut. Anyone know if it was ever written?
Tias
I don't have my book handy, but if I recall correctly, Feral Cities covers all of Sarajevo and some nomad city that tracks around central asie and eastern Europe on wheels..
TW
QUOTE (macd21 @ Feb 7 2010, 07:41 AM) *
Sounds like there was going to be an extra chapter in the book (similar to the one at the end of SoA) to give a quick look at the other countries, but it was cut. Anyone know if it was ever written?

Back in the day of the Euro sourcebook Project here on Dumpshock (before it became Shadows of Europe), Greece was to be included, yes.
When the project was picked up by Fanpro, it was decided to cut Greece from Shadows of Europe, with the intention to feature it in more detail in a follow up book to SR3's Target: Awakened Lands (which unfortunately, was never realized). An early draft was written for the project.
pbangarth
If you can read Hungarian, there's

A'rnye'kmagyarorsza'g : Shadowrun ja'te'kkiege'szito" / szerk.
Na'dori Gergely. - Budapest : Beholder, 1996. - 166 p. ill., 29 cm.
ISBN 963-85454-9-6
Nath
QUOTE (macd21 @ Feb 7 2010, 01:41 PM) *
Pulled out Shadows of E - Synner's intro on page 8 indicates that the book should end with by "briefly touching on all the parts of Europe that don't get full coverage... the Balkans, the Baltics and Greece". Sounds like there was going to be an extra chapter in the book (similar to the one at the end of SoA) to give a quick look at the other countries, but it was cut. Anyone know if it was ever written?

In my understanding, this refers to the two pages or so at the "New Old World" chapter, after history, corporations and organized crimes.
Lugburz
In addition to what's already been mentioned, you may want to check Loose Alliances as well- the Atlantean Foundation has some ongoing operations in Eastern Europe, (particularly Ukraine) and there might be a couple other groups. You might also want to check Shadowhelix.de, as long as you don't mind pumping some things through BabelFish. (Unless you already speak and read German.) Their articles seem to have some additional information that North American books and wiki do not.

But if all else fails, you may have to make some things up- There's hope that the upcoming Sixth World Almanac may cover Eastern Europe, but no way to confirm it yet. I'm currently planning a game which will be set in Ukraine, and am already leaning toward writing my own short supplement- just to explain what else has happened in the last 30-60 years and how the country has reorganised itself after the wars/occupation, provide some detail on the multitude of local crime syndicates, and stats for some of the [predominantly Russian] hardware that players will be encountering regularly.

If anything, it's an interesting corner of the world with a lot of good gameplay opportunities. By the sound of things, the few countries in the region that are not at war or still recovering from wars are much less in favour of NEEC membership than countries in the west. The scant information in SoE hints that Greece, Ukraine, and Western Turkey are working together to to form their own little Federation, and the Megacoprs are not particularly happy about it.
TBRMInsanity
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Feb 7 2010, 01:34 PM) *
If you can read Hungarian, there's

A'rnye'kmagyarorsza'g : Shadowrun ja'te'kkiege'szito" / szerk.
Na'dori Gergely. - Budapest : Beholder, 1996. - 166 p. ill., 29 cm.
ISBN 963-85454-9-6

I was about to ask, was there any non-english source books that came out about Europe that would reference the Balkans and Greese?
The Jake
The Balkans get a mention in Feral Cities.

- J.
Kumo
About Turkey - there is also some info about Istambul in Runner Havens ("Cities on the edge").

"Newest" part of history of Poland is in "System Failure" - could be useful, if somebody plans campaign in Europe with use of S-K, I think. We tried to make something about "Poland 2070", but now we have to wait for 6th World Almanac.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012