Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tourists in Chicago
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Snow_Fox
We all know that in 2070 Chicago is a complete an utter mess second only to New Jersey in its place of the list of places not to live, BUT if you were visiting Chicago pre-awakening or before the Noose, maybe an astral quest, could posters here maybe list where people might visit? Avoid? Say in May of any given year?
lordnth
All the musuems. Last time I was there, I missed them and and have been kicking myself since. But for the first time I got to get into ChinaTown.
Snow_Fox
Could you maybe narrow that down just a little, please? I know about the Field Museum. I'm assuming Field was a big familyi n Chicago history, like the Marshal-Fields store, defunct by the end of the 20th century.
G.NOME
Field Museum of Natural History. Museum of Science and Industry. Shedd Aquarium. Planetarium.
the_real_elwood
A stroll down Michigan Avenue between Water Tower Place and the Chicago River is always interesting. If you're so inclined, you can go up to the top of the Hancock Building and grab a drink in the bar on the top floor. May is a bit early weather-wise, but the architecture boat tours on the Chicago River are cool as well. Baseball season is just getting started too, so a trip to a Cubs game and partying in Wrigleyville is a lot of fun.
wind_in_the_stones
The Art Institute.

Millennium Park just behind it, with Cloud Gate. Grant Park with the Buckingham Fountain.

The Sears Tower, or whatever they're calling it now, and the John Hancock building observation decks.
MJBurrage
I wouldn't miss the Willis (née Sears) Tower observation Skydeck.  I loved it last time I was there, and since then they have added glass floored rooms that stick out from the building and let you look straight down.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but in my book very very cool.

I also wish I had made it to a Cubs game. I'm not a huge baseball fan, but the history of Wrigley Field makes it something special. Also baseball is a lot more fun live than it is on television.
the_real_elwood
Wrigley Field is definitely something you should go see at least once in your life. And baseball in person is a lot more fun. If you can snag a bleacher seat on a nice warm spring day, all the better. Only problem with seeing baseball games in person is that anymore, a ballpark beer is $8.
Snow_Fox
My husband has talked about the glass floors-brr, better him than me.
How friendly are the Cub's fans? I show up in the hat of naother team are the safe? Phillies fans are cool but Eagles fans are apes.
the_real_elwood
If you think Phillies fans are cool, the the Cubs fans will be just fine. If you show up with a hat for the team they're playing, you're gonna get some harassment (but still, nothing like philly). If you show up with a hat for any other team, you'll be fine. But if you're going to cheer for the away team at Wrigley, don't get bleacher seats.
Snow_Fox
I figure my Seatle Mariner's hat at a Cubs game would get enough WTF to be safe.
the_real_elwood
Yes, a Mariners hat at Wrigley is most definitely safe.

And to bring some Shadowrun into it, Wrigley Field (the Wrigley Dome by the time of Bug City) was the location where the KE Firewatch team that set off the tac-nuke at the Cermak nuclear plant holed up and tried to set up some law in an otherwise lawless city.
Stry
It depends on what our idea of fun is.

You can visit the old FASA offices or WizKids Offices.

Secondy City, if you like comedy.

If you like music, there are a ton of clubs,
* go to Neo if you like goth and industrial music.
* go to Exit if you like punk.
* go to Green Milll if you like jazz.
For live music check out, Metro, Empty Bottle, Double Door, or Reggies Live

Snow_Fox
what areas are they in? the loop? north south west? I assume east is a little damp.
Stry
With out going into exact neighborhood.

Second City and Exit are in the near north side.
Reggie's Live is near China Town, south of the Loop.
Metro is a block away form Wrigley Field.
Empty Bottle is west side.
Green Mill is north side.
Neo is about a mile and half south of Wrigley Field.
Double Door is kind of north west side.

In my original post there are links to all places mentioned.

Edit:

Most are fairly near L stops, the exception of the Empty Bottle.
TeaTime
Say, speaking of tourism, do when know exactly where the nuke will go off?
Anyone know what is there now?
Penta
The Cermak blast site? Yup. The exact address is in, I believe, Bug City. Former location of FASA's old offices, IIRC, or quite close by.
Snow_Fox
Yeah, I noticed they happened to nuke the home office-gotta love that shot at the boss.
CollateralDynamo
I helped that office close up shop, and spent a good chunk of my life living next to ground zero. Does anybody know of an RPG where Chicago DOESN'T become a wasteland?

Still super cool to live next to a radioactive crater tho...

I can't add much more to where to go, there are always random concerts and interesting bars, but the things that are truly "Chicago" have already been mentioned. Of course, I say a trip to U.S. Cellular field is better then a trip to Wrigley. nyahnyah.gif
the_real_elwood
If you're gonna be a Chicagoan, then keep referring to it as Comiskey.

Plus, Sox suck.
CollateralDynamo
QUOTE (the_real_elwood @ Feb 9 2010, 11:59 AM) *
If you're gonna be a Chicagoan, then keep referring to it as Comiskey.

Plus, Sox suck.

Ouch, hater. :'(
the_real_elwood
I kid because I love. I don't hate the White Sox either, I just like the Cubs more. Plus, Ozzie Guillen is one hell of a character. I love his post-game interviews.
RedeemerofOgar
QUOTE (CollateralDynamo @ Feb 9 2010, 11:08 AM) *
I can't add much more to where to go, there are always random concerts and interesting bars, but the things that are truly "Chicago" have already been mentioned.

I dunno, noone has yet mentioned a good Chicago Stuffed Pizza joint (in the 'burbs that's Giordanno's or Lou Malnotti's, I'm sure downtown also has good non-chain options), or a proper Chicago Hot Dog place. Also, though it confuses me, I hear that Italian Beef is a Chicago-only phenomenon. As they are my all-time-favorite sandwich (baked cheesy beef on garlic bread), this discourages me from moving away despite the annoying cold and snow.
the_real_elwood
I prefer the Giordano's deep dish, and there's Giordano's locations downtown too. But some other classic Chicago deep dish joints are Pizzeria Uno or Gino's East. Pizzeria Uno is the original and is the one that most people would send a first-timer to.

As far as hot dogs, I prefer Portillos, but everyone will have their favorite. Portillos is a Chicago-area chain with locations all over the metro area. The first thing I do whenever I head back to Chicago is head to Portillos and get 2 chili cheese dogs and a large order of fries. Oh man, my mouth is watering just thinking about it.
lordnth
QUOTE (CollateralDynamo @ Feb 9 2010, 10:08 AM) *
I helped that office close up shop, and spent a good chunk of my life living next to ground zero. Does anybody know of an RPG where Chicago DOESN'T become a wasteland?

Rifts. Chicago was a wasteland but the Coalition cleaned it up. I believe the city-state of Chi-town is one of the large Chicago suburbs.

@OP there a lots of Dinner shows in Chicago too. Medevil Times http://www.medievaltimes.com/findcastles/schaumburg/
Orcus Blackweather
Well Duh! go to a gaming store!

http://blacksungameschicago.com/
Stry
For good pizza in the loop area check out Pizzano's Pizza.

A couple of other good game stores are Games Plus in Mount Prospect, and GM Asylum in Evanston.
Snow_Fox
Pizzaria Uno's started in Chi-town but part of me rebels at hitting a chain store that has an outlet2 miles from my house.

As for game shops-my husband would kill me but then again he choose Chicago, I wanted Virginia. When he once made the mistake of going to New York's Complete Stratagist he had to sit in the chair labeled "mom's only" while I amused myself.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012