Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Martial arts question: Which styles teach which Maneuvers?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
redwulf25_ci
I've been unable to find any information on the topic. I understand that according to the RAW the distinction is unnecessary, but I feel it would add more flavor for a martial artist to use mostly, if not entirely, maneuvers representative of their style. My primary question is actually about the style Carromeleg, but if it needs to be done up from scratch by the community I'd like it to be more widely applicable. Here are my thoughts on Carromeleg let me know if anything sounds wrong for the style or you have any additions . . .

Carromeleg Maneuvers:

For a style based on appearing at ease until the last moment Iajutsu seems to be a given (assuming that weapons were part of the students training). Disarm, throw, kick attack, and sweep seem to fit into the style nicely as well. Evasion is probably taught as the main line of defense in the style. Set up and finishing move are probably taught in all styles.

Anything else?
Ancient History
Anything. There are no restrictions like there were in SR3.
redwulf25_ci
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Feb 7 2010, 10:06 PM) *
Anything. There are no restrictions like there were in SR3.

Humor me and assume I want there to be some logic to the Maneuvers a particular martial artist uses. For example in real life it's would be quite unusual to see a boxer kick someone or sweep his opponents legs out from under him. Particular styles don't teach all the maneuvers there are, if they did there wouldn't be a need for more than one.
Ancient History
Depends on the boxing style, but yeah, some maneuvers are more common for certain styles than others. That said, you're paying karma for them so the logic is that you're training to use that maneuver, no matter what style you have. While you don't often see a boxer do a kip-up, that doesn't mean it's impossible for them to learn how to do so.
redwulf25_ci
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Feb 7 2010, 10:45 PM) *
Depends on the boxing style, but yeah, some maneuvers are more common for certain styles than others. That said, you're paying karma for them so the logic is that you're training to use that maneuver, no matter what style you have. While you don't often see a boxer do a kip-up, that doesn't mean it's impossible for them to learn how to do so.

They can learn the move, but they won't be doing so from a boxing instructor any more than an Aikido instructor would teach how to throw a good right hook. This was intended more as a flavor question than a rules question and I think I'll edit the OP to make that more clear.
crash2029
If I remember correctly the Sweep maneuver simply allows one to do damage with a knockdown attack. Now while the name might imply a type of kick, that doesn't necessarily mean you have to kick them. For boxing how about an uppercut? When pulled off just right, (i.e. you succeed in the opposed test) it not only rings their bells but it puts them on their ass. For Aikido why not a basic hip toss? When done right it hurts like hell and leaves the target on their back. Since the target lands more or less at the Aikidoka's feet it does not count as a Throw.

My point is that alot of these maneuvers are rather vague in the specifics of their employment. Most of them are result defined, with names that match the most common method. With a little creativity you can have boxers take sweep with out defying RAW or common sense.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012