Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help needed with spell creation
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
BRodda
Alienation
Alienation is a spell that renders the target unable to communicate with the outside world. They are invisible, intangible and odorless. They can not be seen by thermographic or normal vision. Those who fail to make a perception may accidently hit them with a car or fire through them. It also renders their aura invisible as well.

Alienation (Realistic, Multi-Sense)
Type: M • Range: LOS • Duration: S • DV: (F ÷ 2) + 2

Spell Attributes:
Anyone who might perceive the subject must first successfully resist the spell. Simply make one Spellcasting Test and use the hits scored as the threshold for anyone that resists at a later point.

So by my math it gets the following modifiers:
Illusion Spelll
Its Mana only (I think cameras and such would work, but not cybernetics)
It’s a sustained spell, trying to think of a way to make it fire and forget, but its not working with the current rules.
Its multisensory.
Its an Illusion that Hides or Conceals.

So for drain I’m looking at (F/2)+ 2.

For some odd reason its not feeling right to me. Any suggestions? For the recorded I’m trying to recreate the Alienation Power from SR3.
Patrick the Gnome
Yeah, your not gonna be able to get permanent invisibility from a spell. The only way you can "fire and forget" is with a sustaining focus. Multisensory's fine, that will protect you from infrared, hearing, visual, whatever, but if its only a mana spell you'll still have to worry about ultra sound considering that most people use a sensor for that, not 'ware. No matter what you do you're not going to be able to hide yourself astrally, not with out initiating. Also, intangibility from a spell is going to be tough. You might be able to do something to make yourself a liquid or a gas like in Turn to Goo, but I don't think that would leave you conscious or in control of your own movement. Your best bet if you want to go in that direction with a spell is to have a low body and get shapeshift to turn into an ant or a fly or soemething, although that's something you'd have to bring up with your GM.

I think what you're really going for here is Astral Projection. Your invisible, intangible, odorless when projecting and normal people can't see you no matter how many perception dice they roll. Sure, you can't materialize while projecting, but you can summon spirits, who get around that limitation nicely.
BRodda
QUOTE (Patrick the Gnome @ Feb 8 2010, 12:30 PM) *
Yeah, your not gonna be able to get permanent invisibility from a spell. The only way you can "fire and forget" is with a sustaining focus. Multisensory's fine, that will protect you from infrared, hearing, visual, whatever, but if its only a mana spell you'll still have to worry about ultra sound considering that most people use a sensor for that, not 'ware. No matter what you do you're not going to be able to hide yourself astrally, not with out initiating. Also, intangibility from a spell is going to be tough. You might be able to do something to make yourself a liquid or a gas like in Turn to Goo, but I don't think that would leave you conscious or in control of your own movement. Your best bet if you want to go in that direction with a spell is to have a low body and get shapeshift to turn into an ant or a fly or soemething, although that's something you'd have to bring up with your GM.

I think what you're really going for here is Astral Projection. Your invisible, intangible, odorless when projecting and normal people can't see you no matter how many perception dice they roll. Sure, you can't materialize while projecting, but you can summon spirits, who get around that limitation nicely.

The spell isn't supposed to be beneficial, and that's the problem. I'm thinking intangibility isn't going to happen either.

Alienation was one of the nastier powers that critters had in 3rd ed. Problem is the rules read like stereo instructions. I'm the GM so I could hand wave it, but I like to stick to RAW.

As a side note: I thought if you were invisible your aura didn't show up either in the Astral unless someone could pass the check to "see" you. Like with infiltration.
Patrick the Gnome
QUOTE (BRodda @ Feb 8 2010, 12:47 PM) *
The spell isn't supposed to be beneficial, and that's the problem. I'm thinking intangibility isn't going to happen either.

Alienation was one of the nastier powers that critters had in 3rd ed. Problem is the rules read like stereo instructions. I'm the GM so I could hand wave it, but I like to stick to RAW.

As a side note: I thought if you were invisible your aura didn't show up either in the Astral unless someone could pass the check to "see" you. Like with infiltration.

Nope, in fact you glow on the astral with your nice, shiny, invisibility spell. Infiltration still works, so long as you can see your watchers to hide from them. Something you could do is give a creature venom that has the same effect as Shade (p.78 Arsenal) that's either mandatory (victim can't return to body until the duration is up) or have the creature hop in while the victim is disoriented and start walking around in the victim's body. First effect would have a similar effect to Alienation as I understand it from your description, second effect would be the same only with a critter walkin around in your body and you a helpless traveler trying to stop him grinbig.gif
Ophis
Alienation = Confusion+Conceal on an enemy. I figure the spirit has some control over how people don't notice you.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012