Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Treatise on the Effects of Solar Radiations on the ManaSphere
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
MaxwellHouse
The effects of sunlight and solar radiation on the manasphere surrounding Earth are varied, complicated and difficult to mesure. It is commonly known that those affected by certain strains of the awakened virus HMHVV are adversly affected by sunlight, although a comparable nighttime equivalent of the reaction has yet to be produced though the use of artificial analoges of solar radiations.
It is my postulation that light in its various spectrums, in conjuntion with other radiations common in solar emissions, charge the sun-faceing portion of the ManaSphere producing a small yet mesurable “attunement” that is adverse to the awakened changes produced by particular strands of HMHVV. This attunement could be viewed as a heat-style effect, where in areas of total isolation of sunlight the effect would not be seen, while a gradually increasing attunement could be seen as the exposure to solar light is increased (i.e. the attunement caused by solar radiation irradiates as a source of “heat” explaining the need to near complete isolation during the daytime phase of the infected)
Further, I believe this Solar Effect upon the ManaSphere is in part due to a near-sarcadian cycle in the ManaSphere. This cycle is varied dependent upon laditudal location due to the varied lengths of solar exposure to the ManaSphere.
This slight “attunement” to day/night sarcadian rhythm should in no way disrupt the standard use of magic as understood today. The conduite (i.e. spellcaster, focus or other awakened user) that manipulates mana would itself be attuned to this rhythm through a natural response to the change in Solar radiation.
In this natural response may lie the reason for the adverse reactions to natural sunlight in the infected. I believe HMHVV causes the infected to be constaly attuned only to the nightime, or near Solar Radiantly defiecent state of the ManaSphere. When exposed to the alternative attunement caused by the presence of this radiation the infected’s personal aura is in some way rejected by the the local background.
An artifial analoge would be difficult to produce but within our techological grasp. However, the magical background would need to be “primed” and the change to a daytime attunement may not be possible in a short time frame. Which could explain the falure of artifial light to produce the adverse reations that true solar radaition seems to produce in an instentanious effect. In essence the background would need to be “heated” and would gradually change to a daytime attunement much like daybreak or the change from night to twilight to day.

MaxwellHouse
Good To The Last Drop
Lansdren
Its a interesting idea but if you could explain how your theory would effect the following scenarios it would be appriciated as I'm having trouble picturing it

1) a Vampire or such is standing in the open just as the first dawn rays hit them (and as such suffer as much as if they were under the noonday sun). How does this warming effect on the manasphere effect work?

2) a Vampire or such is underground and a sudden breach in the integraty of the roof allows a beam of sunlight to come through hitting them square on. How does this warming effect on the manasphere effect work?

3) a very highly initiated Vampire or similar (go with me on this one) is on the Ares bug hunting space station and gets hit by sunlight through a window (unlikely but hey no more unlikly then a magic 10 super vamp so work with me here) Would your heating effect work on a very low level mana field (as generated by the plant life on the space station)?
Ancient History
Have you been reading Niven's The Magic Goes Away series again?
MaxwellHouse
1) a Vampire or such is standing in the open just as the first dawn rays hit them (and as such suffer as much as if they were under the noonday sun). How does this warming effect on the manasphere effect work?

It's just an idea, but as the earth turns the heating would be much more rapid than with say a flashlight. It would be like a wall of "heat" that spreads extreamly quickly. I see it as a rapid change in the attunement due to the larger area that is allready effected that is spreading.

2) a Vampire or such is underground and a sudden breach in the integraty of the roof allows a beam of sunlight to come through hitting them square on. How does this warming effect on the manasphere effect work?

In this scenario my answer would be that as the sun being the source of the radiation as apposed to say a flashlight, the intensity is as such much greater and effects the heated change more rapidly, however the area around that beam of light would be slower to attune due to its current state and the face that it is not in direct contact with the effecting radiation. The areas where the light is still completely absent (as even rock tends to refract light and some radiation in various angles) would remain attuned to the solardeficient state.

3) a very highly initiated Vampire or similar (go with me on this one) is on the Ares bug hunting space station and gets hit by sunlight through a window (unlikely but hey no more unlikly then a magic 10 super vamp so work with me here) Would your heating effect work on a very low level mana field (as generated by the plant life on the space station)?

I would think that the effect would actually be quickened by a lower mana-level as there would be less of a field that would be required to adjust.

thanks for the questions. This was just an idea that popped into my head after reading an earlier topic about vampire regeneration in exream climates... next time I'll think it though a little further however so I'm more prepared for the questions. XD
MaxwellHouse
nope can't say I've ever read Niven's The Magic Goes Away...
Neraph
I always figured it was an awakened version of sunlight sensitivity, especially when combined with porphyria.
Lansdren
QUOTE (MaxwellHouse @ Feb 8 2010, 05:07 PM) *

It's just an idea, but as the earth turns the heating would be much more rapid than with say a flashlight. It would be like a wall of "heat" that spreads extreamly quickly. I see it as a rapid change in the attunement due to the larger area that is allready effected that is spreading.

In this scenario my answer would be that as the sun being the source of the radiation as apposed to say a flashlight, the intensity is as such much greater and effects the heated change more rapidly, however the area around that beam of light would be slower to attune due to its current state and the face that it is not in direct contact with the effecting radiation. The areas where the light is still completely absent (as even rock tends to refract light and some radiation in various angles) would remain attuned to the solardeficient state.

I would think that the effect would actually be quickened by a lower mana-level as there would be less of a field that would be required to adjust.

thanks for the questions. This was just an idea that popped into my head after reading an earlier topic about vampire regeneration in exream climates... next time I'll think it though a little further however so I'm more prepared for the questions. XD

Whilst I may not agree with your theory I do appreciate your reply and applaud your logic
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012