Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When the student is ready he Master will appear
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
BRodda
Tutor Spirit (Wild Guidance Spirit)

Corporal Hicks looked over the battle manual he got in basic for the hundredth time that night trying to figure out what to do that wouldn’t get him or what was left of his platoon killed. A sniper had gotten the Lt. 3 days into the action and the sarge bought it yesterday when he stepped on a landmine. And that left him in charge of the 15 men still alive in command. “Drek! I don’t know what to do and I sure as hell don’t know how to lead. Basic was nothing like this. Snipers, drones, landmines, booby traps and who knows what else is out there.”
What’s a matter boy! Thinking of going crying home to your Momma?” A sharp voice rang out in the night.
Reaching for his assault rife Hicks looked up and there in front of him was a ghostly image of a last century drill instructor, down to the funny hat they used to wear.
I said what is your major malfunction Corporal!
Hicks stammered “Were outnumbered and surrounded and I have no idea what to do to…”
Son you are eight the hell up! But you listen to me and I might be able to teach you to grow a pair and then I can teach you how to do unto those poor bastards before they do unto you.

Tutor Spirits take many shapes and forms, but when they do appear it is to pass on some vital knowledge to someone in dire need of it and no one to teach them. This can be a kid in his garage trying to figure out how to fix his first car, a Barren’s kid trying to learn how to read or even hiker lost in the wilderness. They are excellent teachers and some build relationships that can last for years. They stay as long as they are needed and then depart. The only thing that seems to be common is the person has to have a burning desire to learn and no way to do it. Tutor Spirits can materialize, but rarely do. They prefer to manifest and instruct their charges how to do things with their own two hands.

Tutor Spirit (Wild Guidance Spirit)

Attributes:
Body: F
Agility: F
Reaction: F
Strength: F+2
Charisma: F+3
Intuition: F
Logic: F+1
Willpower: F
Edge: F
Init: (Fx2)
IP:2
Magic: F
Astral INIT/IP: F x 2/ 3

Movement: 10/25
Skills: Assensing, Counterspelling, Dodge, Instruction, Perception, Skill Group (any),
Powers: Astral Form, Divining, Guard, Materialization, Sapience, Search, Skill (any)
Optional Powers: Engulf, Enhanced Senses (Hearing, Low-Light Vision, Thermographic Vision, or Smell)
Ophis
Threats taught me not to trust anything calling itself Tutor.
Neraph
Ben!? Beeeen! BEEEEN!!!
BRodda
QUOTE (Ophis @ Feb 8 2010, 03:06 PM) *

Heee... This is Shadowrun. Your not supposed to trust your grandma until you've double checked her sources. Even then expect a double cross.
Snow_Fox
Stupid darkness.
Professor Evil Overlord
QUOTE (Ophis @ Feb 8 2010, 12:06 PM) *

Hehehe...I just had a player in my game fall for that one. The poor sap thinks it's actually their to help him. He's already used the boost three times and it's only been one session. The best part is I actually had Tutor warn him not to overuse it. So of course he's been using it constantly.
Trevalier
Since the spirit's primary function is teaching, wouldn't it make sense for its strongest attribute to be Charisma, since that's the stat associated with the Instruction skill? Maybe back its Logic down a notch or two, and move those points over the Charisma.

That said, I really like the concept. It would play particularly well in connection with a character with Latent Awakening, I think.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Feb 8 2010, 04:50 PM) *
Stupid darkness.

Just fire a Magic Missle at it...

Also... Corporal Hicks? ... Game over, man! Game over!
BRodda
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Feb 9 2010, 05:39 PM) *

Oh man I'm busted spin.gif
I almost put something about bug spirits in.
BRodda
QUOTE (Trevalier @ Feb 9 2010, 05:36 PM) *
Since the spirit's primary function is teaching, wouldn't it make sense for its strongest attribute to be Charisma, since that's the stat associated with the Instruction skill? Maybe back its Logic down a notch or two, and move those points over the Charisma.

That said, I really like the concept. It would play particularly well in connection with a character with Latent Awakening, I think.

Thanks for the correction, I thought Instruction was logic based.
LurkerOutThere
The game is better if there are no guidance spirits of any type in it. But other then that it seems fine
BRodda
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Feb 9 2010, 07:43 PM) *
The game is better if there are no guidance spirits of any type in it. But other then that it seems fine

"but other than that how did you enjoy the play Mrs. Lincoln?"

I kid I kid...
LurkerOutThere
I apologize if I seem overly negative on your stuff man, magic creep just tends to bug me and guidance spirits are a particularly annoying area of that.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Feb 9 2010, 03:39 PM) *

Actually it was Privatre Hudson who said that...

and this as well... "Why don't you put her in charge?" One of my favorite lines in the movie...

Keep the Faith
BRodda
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Feb 9 2010, 10:31 PM) *
I apologize if I seem overly negative on your stuff man, magic creep just tends to bug me and guidance spirits are a particularly annoying area of that.

Its OK. I hate power creep too. I try to make stuff that is interesting and different, not just more powerful. And if I couldn't take criticism I wouldn't post them on DS.
MikeKozar
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Feb 9 2010, 02:39 PM) *

I'm Hudson, Sir. *He's* Hicks. (Pops gum)
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Feb 9 2010, 05:39 PM) *

I couldn't be bothered to light a single candle so...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012