Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help Wanted
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Deadpool
Ok so after numerous trial and error sessions with making characters... I cant find a build that I like that fits the character... So here's the deal. If the concept is an Orc Ex-Corporate Troubleshooter (possibly from Seraphim) How do I build him? The areas I want him to excel in are duel wielding pistols, using Muy Thai... and have some social skills... how do i make this work without it seeming like hes weak sauce? I am fairly new to this, so any and all help would be appreciated.
LurkerOutThere
Well others might be better to advise on this sort of thing. Adepts can be good with the social skills through some of their powers and can get things like improved ability piistols or the like. Advantages like first impression can also help with the social skills.
Patrick the Gnome
It might be a little tough to build a character who's both good at duel wielding pistols and unarmed combat. Not impossible, just difficult. I'm assuming you're going the cybered direction with this? I would definetly suggest cyberarms to any duel wielder. Cyberarm slide, cyberarm gyromount, cheap agility bonuses, these are all your friends. Plus cyberarms automatically make your melee attacks deal physical damage.

I'd also suggest using automatic pistols rather than heavy, you can get pretty significant damage from them by modifying them up to Full Auto weapons and can generally compensate for the recoil of long bursts pretty easily (again, cyberarm gyromount is your friend, although not your only option if you'd prefer to save those arm slots for some other toys or stats). It is, unfortunately, impossible to Full Auto Burst with 2 weapons at the same time, but 2 short bursts and 2 long bursts on a target in one IP will make your enemies hurt. I also like stick n' shock rounds in my automatic pistols, most autos can't get up to 6 damage on their own, and stunning your enemies with electric damage is always useful, especially if you don't always one shot them.

On the topic of martial arts, I know there's plenty of room for abuse there for a creative player. Hardliner gloves, boxing/muay thati bonuses, martial arts specialization, maybe take something from one of the Gun Fu practices to decrease your firing from melee penalties and you should be fine.

Your skills are a little spread out, but if you want social skills, I wouldn't suggest bothering with anything except negotiation, intimidation, and con, and 1 point with a specialization is probably good enough so long as you aren't the party's main face and your charisma isn't god awful.
MikeKozar
First tip: Make sure you have a concept you're going to enjoy playing. A guy with weak dice pools can still be a better time then a two-dimensional powerhouse.

I'd ask around at the table to see if there are any areas the group is lacking in; If the team needs firepower, focus on your guns, but if the team has nobody with any social skills you might want to work on that smooth operator idea. Remember, if there is a challenge that only your guy has the skills to complete, he's the hero. Maybe just for a minute, but he just saved the collective bacon of the whole group, and he's the hero. It doesn't have to be your whole character concept, either, but maybe a few points in opening locks, driving cars, using disguises or corporate procedures will be the difference between getting payed by Mr. Johnson and getting payed by your life insurance provider.

It sounds like you're building a Samurai character. If you're expecting to be dangerous in combat, the first thing you want is some sort of wired reflex package. Extra IPs are the difference between the quick and the dead, and a huge force multiplier. Bone lacing is a pretty effective upgrade in combat - you get a bigger pool to soak damage and you can kill with your bare hands as well. Agility is going to be critical for delivering damage to the enemy, and Body will let you wear more armor and take more punishment. Reaction is another stat you probably want to put some points into - it affects your ability to dodge attacks and your order in Initiative. Some Wired Reflex packages allow you to tack on Reaction Enhancers - probably worth doing.

One build I keep meaning to try out is the 8-point Edge character. A Human with the Lucky quality (and nearly nothing else) could rack up 8 bonus dice that he could add 8 times during the adventure, on any skill he could default on. A pool of six on that pistol shot? Make it 14 with exploding sixes! The guy would be nearly as poor as a mage without any actual magic, but I'm still curious to try him out.
Oehler the Black
For best results, you might want to provide some more info. You've picked a metatype and a general theme, but what anyone here needs to help you is at minimum a couple of answers; what books are allowed, is there any material your GM has called off limits, and whats the Build Point limit?
Deadpool
400 points, augmentation,street magic, runners companion, if its printed, its legit.
wind_in_the_stones
Why do you feel your other attempts failed? What was wrong with them?
Deadpool
wish I knew how to put into words... just a feeling that I could be doing this better ><
Udoshi
Post what you've got so far - it helps if we're able to see what you're thinking, what works and what doesn't - if we've got something to work with.
Deadpool
This was my latest attempt... Sorry if its not very good >< Tried to work off what ive read other people doing...

Body: 6 Charisma: 6 [6] Edge: 1
Agility: 5 [7] Intuition: 3 Initiative: 10
Reaction: 5 [7] Logic: 5 [5] Passes: 3
Strength: 3 [5] Willpower: 3 Essence: 1

"Cyber/Bioware:
Wired Reflexes II
Bone Density Augmentation (4)
Muscle Augmentation (1-4) 2
Muscle Toner (1-4) 2
Enhanced Phermone Receptors (3)
Tailored Pheromones (1-3) 3
Cerebral Booster (1-3) 2

"Ambidextrous
Martial Arts (2) Muy Thai / Fire Fight
Born Rich
Records on File
SINner (Standard)
Thrill Seeker
Distinctive Style (2)
Prejudiced (Specific, Biased)
Low-Light Vision

"Athletics (Group) 3
Influence (Group) 3
Armorer 3
Pistols (Heavy Pistols) 5(+2)
Unarmed Combat (Muy Thai) 5 (+2)
Dodge (Range) 3 (+2)
Perception 3

"Corp (Ares Macrotechnology) 2
Corp (Security Companies) 2
Hangouts (Safehouses) 2
Design (Firearms) 2
Comic Books 2
Celtic N (hes Irish)
English 2
French 2
Or'zet 2

Weapons/armor not all fleshed out yet
Deadpool
Also has an Ares Fixer Contact at 4/4 and a Mr. Johnson at 2/3
LivingOxymoron
Couple of things I see...

Dump the Cerebral Booster, you don't need your logic to be that high.

Your Ranged Dodge specialization is going to be useless against firearms, since you only use your raw reaction unless you are in Full Defense.

Forget about the dual pistols thing. Seriously. Unless you're firing them one at a time and you're doing it to not run out of ammo as quickly. Since you split your pool when you fire with both, your effectiveness goes down exponentially. Trust me on this.

As it stands, though, its a pretty good build. You're a damn good face that the team doesn't have to worry about backing up when the lead starts flying.

The only thing that strikes me as odd is your choice of languages and knowledges. No one speaks Celtic, save a few dandelion eaters in the Tir. Working for CATCo, your French (and specifically your Quebecois) had better be a hell of a lot better, especially if you were troubleshooting. Any corporate troubleshooter had better also know most or all of their rival Megacorp's national languages:

English
Japanese
Cantonese
Russian
Aztlaner Spanish (maybe even Nahuatl)
German

Figure out who your character specialized in while employed and go from there. I'm guessing you've already decided that you transitioned to Ares when Knight bought out CATCo after Cross was killed.
overcannon
Athletics is a crappy skill group. Break it up into what you actually need.

Your stats are screwed up all weird, I can't even figure out what race he is. First off, Ork is the most point efficient for what you are trying to do, Dwarf second, troll third, human forth elf fifth. Second, you can't have two sixes in stats, and you also shouldn't want to. You can build a solid stat block for what you want to do, including race for around 160 points, but considering the spread, you could stretch it to 200.

Qualities: Born rich is a terrible quality unless you are going for an epic gimmick. You are better off just making better spending choices.

Warez: Drop the cerebral boosters, they are expensive and bad. Take skill group support bioware and such.

Lemme give you a few semi-similar builds I have lying around for some inspiration.

Pistols/Face
[ Spoiler ]

Fist Based Assasin
[ Spoiler ]

All Purpose Gunner
[ Spoiler ]

Chrome Ninja
[ Spoiler ]

Perfect Gunslinger
[ Spoiler ]

Hope that helps.
Stingray
..orc w/cha 6??didn't orc metatype have max unaugmented cha 5??
Drop 2 pistol style (changes to even hit something drop)
Bilngual-quality (from Runner's Companion)
Colt Goverment 2066 (500 yen) (electronic firing in base gun)
Internal Smartgun System (500yen)
Silencer (400 yen) (internal/removable,your choice)

+ Improved range finder ( ? no books w/ me now..Arsenal)

cheaper than building similar from Ares Predator IV,negative side is -1 round wink.gif
Stingray
QUOTE (overcannon @ Feb 11 2010, 07:59 AM) *
Athletics is a crappy skill group. Break it up into what you actually need.

Your stats are screwed up all weird, I can't even figure out what race he is. First off, Ork is the most point efficient for what you are trying to do, Dwarf second, troll third, human forth elf fifth. Second, you can't have two sixes in stats, and you also shouldn't want to. You can build a solid stat block for what you want to do, including race for around 160 points, but considering the spread, you could stretch it to 200.

Qualities: Born rich is a terrible quality unless you are going for an epic gimmick. You are better off just making better spending choices.

Warez: Drop the cerebral boosters, they are expensive and bad. Take skill group support bioware and such.

Lemme give you a few semi-similar builds I have lying around for some inspiration.

Pistols/Face
[ Spoiler ]

Fist Based Assasin
[ Spoiler ]

All Purpose Gunner
[ Spoiler ]

Chrome Ninja
[ Spoiler ]

Perfect Gunslinger
[ Spoiler ]

Hope that helps.

2 6's rule apply skills, not ability scores.. biggrin.gif
Glyph
QUOTE (MikeKozar @ Feb 10 2010, 08:33 PM) *
One build I keep meaning to try out is the 8-point Edge character. A Human with the Lucky quality (and nearly nothing else) could rack up 8 bonus dice that he could add 8 times during the adventure, on any skill he could default on. A pool of six on that pistol shot? Make it 14 with exploding sixes! The guy would be nearly as poor as a mage without any actual magic, but I'm still curious to try him out.

But why limit such a character to "nearly nothing else"? You can make a decent combat type who has a high Edge. Cain's build had something like 18 dice in pistols.

QUOTE (Stingray @ Feb 10 2010, 10:39 PM) *

You can only hard max one of your base Attributes at char-gen. So he would be right... for a human. An ork with Body, Strength, and Willpower scores of 6 would be fine, though, since only the Willpower would be at the maximum.
Patrick the Gnome
QUOTE (Stingray @ Feb 11 2010, 01:39 AM) *

No, he's right and you're quite wrong, although it's not 6s its maxes (6s would mean that a troll couldn't raise both its str and bod above minimum at chargen). Skills don't have a limiter on them at chargen, although having 2 at 6 would be a little weird.
Udoshi
out of curiosity, would it be easier to move the cyberware to adept powers? Pheremone stuff -> kinestics and other face/adept powers. tack on adept improved reflexes, and use a point of essence for muscle toner/aug and bone density? With all that bioware, perhaps a datajack with skinlink or smartlink for his guns. Even if you don't get the bonus while dual wielding, it still turns some actions into free actions.

If you're looking to save points on your logic skills by taking low skills, and a higher augmented logic, use PuSHeD EPE out of augmentation instead. It'll do what you want, but cheaper.

Your man needs a commlink. And a commlink he can throw away. Also a ride. I've been liking the Entertainment Systems Cyclops with a single smartwheel out of Arsenal. Its got handling 5, a low Signature cause its electric powered, and you can take it apart and shove it in a locker. I've started including one with a suit of bike armor in my Drop Everything And Run bags.

Ares Light Fire 70's with stick and shocks and the special silencer are pretty good.
Surukai
QUOTE (Patrick the Gnome @ Feb 11 2010, 10:02 AM) *
No, he's right and you're quite wrong, although it's not 6s its maxes (6s would mean that a troll couldn't raise both its str and bod above minimum at chargen). Skills don't have a limiter on them at chargen, although having 2 at 6 would be a little weird.

The sr4A book says (about active skills), page 86:
Te maximum skill rating for starting characters is either one skill at Rating 6 (with the rest at Rating 4 or less) or two skills at Rating 5 (with the rest at Rating 4 or less). Your character cannot start with both one Rating 6 skill and two Rating 5 skills.
Stingray
QUOTE (Surukai @ Feb 11 2010, 11:40 AM) *
The sr4A book says (about active skills), page 86:
Te maximum skill rating for starting characters is either one skill at Rating 6 (with the rest at Rating 4 or less) or two skills at Rating 5 (with the rest at Rating 4 or less). Your character cannot start with both one Rating 6 skill and two Rating 5 skills.

exactly my point...
Brol_The_Mighty
I keep seeing references to Improved Reflexes costing only 2.5 PP's. Where is this? In my copy of SR4E, it shows 3 PP's.
Stingray
QUOTE (Brol_The_Mighty @ Feb 11 2010, 01:22 PM) *
I keep seeing references to Improved Reflexes costing only 2.5 PP's. Where is this? In my copy of SR4E, it shows 3 PP's.

in SR4A cost is 2,5 pp
Brol_The_Mighty
Ooooh, 4A, gotcha. Gotta get me that I guess.
wind_in_the_stones
I don't see anything glaring, except maybe that you're trying to do three things. Two things is fine (unless you're a mage). I recommend face/unarmed combat guy. Drop the two-pistols thing (keep the one pistol).

Edge 1 is... not good. Pick any attribute. Could you see yourself walking around with a 1 in that att? I didn't think so. Edge is just as important as any other att. Are those stats accurate? I see a couple of mistakes, but you should only have 200 points (unless your GM allows more, which I don't really recommend, except for certain builds, since that takes away too many points from skills and such).

For 'ware, I would drop the cerebral booster. I think bone density is questionable (unless you're planning on going hand-to-hand with drones). I much prefer orthoskin. (Or drop both, and the wires, and get synaptic accelerator 1? Just a thought.)

Low light vision is nice, but you can easily buy glasses/goggles, or cyber eyes, for that matter. What did you use Born Rich for? Ten build points is a lot, especially when you're just using it so you can spend even more BPs on gear. Drop that, and you get 20BP for skills. If Born Rich is just for flavor, you can still have been born rich, just without the rather limited game mechanics.

Dodge (Ranged) is fine. You're not a ranged combat monster, so you'll probably going to be running for cover more than most people. You could occasionally end up over your head in melee combat, and need to maintain until you can get help, so three dice is not unreasonable.

Athletics group 3 might be overkill. Every shadowrunner should have it at 1, maybe 2. Why do you have armorer? I don't see a use for that. A language skill at 2, means you have difficulty communicating. Your GM could require a roll any time something is discussed that's more complex than basic, daily life stuff. Infiltration is pretty important. It's right up there with Perception. With a face build, having 3's for CHA skills is just a little on the low side. You might consider raising the group to 4, if you can scrounge the points. You might like an intimidation skill.

You look reasonable in melee, and deficient in firefights. That deficiency isn't necessarily a big deal, if your team can deal with that, and you make up for it in other areas. Like negotiating sweet deals for them, and talking their way past guards.

There is nothing wrong with the things that I recommended you drop. It's just that as a starting character, you need to be very stingy with your points, and many of these things are not absolutely essential. Work you way up to them.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (wind_in_the_stones @ Feb 11 2010, 08:00 PM) *
Essence 1 is... not good. Pick any attribute. Could you see yourself walking around with a 1 in that att? I didn't think so. Essence is just as important as any other att. Are those stats accurate? I see a couple of mistakes, but you should only have 200 points (unless your GM allows more, which I don't really recommend, except for certain builds, since that takes away too many points from skills and such).

Maybe I am missing something here, but WHY exactly is Essence of 1 or less a bad thing? Essence is NOT just as important as any other attribute... it functions as a limiter for game balance purposes only... For all intents and purposes, it has no mechanical effect other than to cap 'Ware...

I am curious as to why you think that Essence is so important...

keep the Faith
Heath Robinson
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Feb 12 2010, 03:11 AM) *
it functions as a limiter for game balance purposes only...

Actually, every 2 points of Essence loss subtracts a dice from Healing skill tests being used on you.

QUOTE (Page 253 @ Anniversary BBB Printing)
healing modifiers table
situation/dice pool modifier
Patient has implants/–1 per 2 points of lost Essence
overcannon
The healing penalty isn't the real problem, the threat comes from things that cause essence drain, such as any of the HMVV strains, or anything that has the essence drain capability. Those cause you to essentially instantly die if you are hit. Otherwise, it really isn't much of a problem, just run if you see ghouls.
wind_in_the_stones
Oops, I meant EDGE. Fixed. Sorry, and thanks!
overcannon
Well, there you have it sports fans.

More importantly, I am curious as to how he has one edge considering that he appears to be human.
wind_in_the_stones
Actually, the stats seem to be ork.

Oh, was the lowlight vision listed in the qualities section, just because it came with the ork package?
overcannon
QUOTE (wind_in_the_stones @ Feb 11 2010, 10:10 PM) *
Actually, the stats seem to be ork.

Oh, was the lowlight vision listed in the qualities section, just because it came with the ork package?

I thought lowlight was just for elves.

Edit: My mistake, orks too. Still, at least one stat is wrong.
Deadpool
yea the race was using ork
Deadpool
Ok, based on suggestions you all have made here is where im at now... if im heading in the wrong direction please let me know

ORK
Body: 6 Charisma: 6 EDGE: 1
Agility: 7 Intuition: 4 INITIATIVE: 11
Reaction: 7 Logic: 3 PASSES: 3
Strength: 5 Willpower: 3 Essence: 1

these are stats after modifiers

KNOWLEDGE SKILLS
"Corp (Ares Macrotechnology) 2
Corp (Security Companies) 2
Hangouts (Safehouses) 2
Design (Firearms)
Comic Books 2
Corp (Renraku) 2
Corp (Shiawise) 2
Corp (Novatech) 1

LANGUAGE SKILLS
"Or'zet N
French N
English 2
Japanese 2
German 2

ACTIVE SKILLS
"Influence (Group) 4
Gymnastics 2
Armorer 2
Pistols (Heavy Pistols) 5 (+2 SPEC)
Unarmed Combat (Muy Thai) 5 (+2 SPEC)
Dodge 3
Perception (visual) 2 (+2)
Pilot Ground Craft 2

QUALITIES
Bilingual
Martial Arts (2) [Maneuvers: Kick Attack.Finishing Move]
Ambidextrous
Records on File

SINner (Standard)
Thrill Seeker
Signature
Low-Light Vision (RACIAL)

CONTACTS
"Ares Fixer (Connection 4, Loyalty 3)
Mr. Johnson (Connection 2, Loyalty 2)

CYBERWARE/BIOWARE
"Cyber/Bioware:
Wired Reflexes II
Bone Density Augmentation (4)
Muscle Augmentation (1-4) 2
Muscle Toner (1-4) 2
Enhanced Phermone Receptors (3)
Tailored Pheromones (1-3) 2
Reflex Recorder- Skill
Reflex Recorder- Skill
Cybereye Rating 2 (Std.)
Flare Compensation
Smartlink
Thermographic Vision
Vision Enhancement (1-3) 2

GEAR/Vehicle
Form-Fitting Body Armor Full-Body Suit
Mortimer Greatcoat Suit
120 Ammunition per 10 Regular Ammo
40 Ammunition per 10 Explosive Rounds
2 Firearm Accessories Quick-Draw Holser
2 Firearm Accessories Silencer
DocWagon Contract Basic
Suzuki Mirage
X2 Ares Predator IV
Custom Look (2)
Ammo Skip System
Barrel Extension
Extended Clip
Gecko Grip
Voice Activation/Response
1 month med lifestyle...

OK... so I think this is a little better? If im doing this wrong let me know what i should change
Glyph
Not bad. Tailored pheromones don't actually modify Charisma, though - they only add bonus dice. One thing - I would take fewer languages, at higher ratings. Your language rating caps your effective social skills.
Deadpool
Thanks! ill work on that
Stingray
.. couple things i noticed was missing:
Actioneer Business Clothes (for better class meetings)/Synergist Business Line (Arsenal p.46, more expensive,better armor,longcoat give -4
concealibilty.)
Armor w/modifications (Chemical Protection,Fire Resistance,Non-conductivity,Insulation)
Helmet
Gas mask/Respirator
Deadpool
ill get on that too =) thank you guys for all your help, this has been very enlightening for me!
FriendoftheDork
Charisma 6 is included Tailored Pheromones? So it's really only 3? Then it's ok I suppose, except I'd have gone for a 4 maybe.

Edge is really good. I'd try to get in to 3 at least or you will be sorry when the glitches comes calling.. or when you roll 16 dice and fails to get a single hit... yeah it happens.

I might consider lowering unarmed combat- especially with the specialization. How often are you going to goe toe-to-toe with a goon? With agility 7 you will be able to kick ass even with a fairly low skill . 12 dice should be enough against most opponents. And if you meet a tricked up physical adept or a huge troll you don't want to go toe-to-toe with them anyway - just do the Indiana Jones trick wink.gif

SnS and/or tasers will be very good for you. Keep ambidexterity, use 2 defiance ex-shockets for 2 shots a round with BASE damage value 10 and -half armor - it's the equivalent of a panther assault cannon only
1. Better penetration against high armor targets
2. Stun damage which is better against high body targets like trolls
3. 2 shots per round instead of one wink.gif

You might even wanna carry 2 additional tasers so you can quickdraw them when you're out of ammo.

As long as you fire only one weapon per simple action, dual pistols etc. are nice. Dual ruger warhawks have nice damage and penetration. If you have 2 SMGs or machine pistols capable of being fired in one hand, you could maybe fire one long burst each. By RAW you can only fire one long burst per action phase though. Still, by firing 1 burst from each weapon (1 long and 1 short) you could concievably get recoil compensation for both weapons (as that's what the dual gun rules indicate.)

Even if I'm wrong about the autofire thing, dual tasing and SS pistol shooting isn't a bad call.
Heath Robinson
Drop Dodge and sink 8 of the BP into Gymnastics 4. You already have Unarmed Combat for Melee Defense, and building for the Gymnastic Dodge option is just plain superior to baseline Dodge except in rare circumstances (things like having MBW). You can use it for things that aren't defense tests, for a start.

I'd like to second akimboing Ruger Superwarhawks. The extra DV and AP over heavy pistols is cool, and their extra AP over assault rifles is useful. Load them with EX Explosive and you have a reasonably effective spirit killer. It seems that you're a secondary combatant, so it's viable to choose weapons that are more specialist in use. Sure, two rounds at 7P/-3 is not a ten round burst from an automatic weapon, but it does pack a punch.
Glyph
QUOTE (overcannon @ Feb 11 2010, 07:52 PM) *
The healing penalty isn't the real problem, the threat comes from things that cause essence drain, such as any of the HMVV strains, or anything that has the essence drain capability. Those cause you to essentially instantly die if you are hit. Otherwise, it really isn't much of a problem, just run if you see ghouls.

Essence drain doesn't work that way. You need to be incapacitated (or participating willingly) for them to use it on you - and if you're incapacitated, they can just kill you anyways. Plus, ghouls don't have essence drain.
Rystefn
Linguasofts, yo. I can't tell you the number of times it's saved someone's bacon in games I've played.
wind_in_the_stones
QUOTE (Heath Robinson @ Feb 12 2010, 09:18 AM) *
Drop Dodge and sink 8 of the BP into Gymnastics 4. You already have Unarmed Combat for Melee Defense, and building for the Gymnastic Dodge option is just plain superior to baseline Dodge except in rare circumstances (things like having MBW). You can use it for things that aren't defense tests, for a start.

I agree with this for the most part, mainly because Deadpool already has listed a Gymnastics skill. But I'd do it differently. Drop both Dodge and Gymnastics, regaining 20BP, and spend it on Athletics group. Same Gymnastics score, but you also have run, climb and swim.
The Jake
QUOTE (Patrick the Gnome @ Feb 11 2010, 04:29 AM) *
It might be a little tough to build a character who's both good at duel wielding pistols and unarmed combat. Not impossible, just difficult. I'm assuming you're going the cybered direction with this? I would definetly suggest cyberarms to any duel wielder. Cyberarm slide, cyberarm gyromount, cheap agility bonuses, these are all your friends. Plus cyberarms automatically make your melee attacks deal physical damage.

I'd also suggest using automatic pistols rather than heavy, you can get pretty significant damage from them by modifying them up to Full Auto weapons and can generally compensate for the recoil of long bursts pretty easily (again, cyberarm gyromount is your friend, although not your only option if you'd prefer to save those arm slots for some other toys or stats). It is, unfortunately, impossible to Full Auto Burst with 2 weapons at the same time, but 2 short bursts and 2 long bursts on a target in one IP will make your enemies hurt. I also like stick n' shock rounds in my automatic pistols, most autos can't get up to 6 damage on their own, and stunning your enemies with electric damage is always useful, especially if you don't always one shot them.

On the topic of martial arts, I know there's plenty of room for abuse there for a creative player. Hardliner gloves, boxing/muay thati bonuses, martial arts specialization, maybe take something from one of the Gun Fu practices to decrease your firing from melee penalties and you should be fine.

Your skills are a little spread out, but if you want social skills, I wouldn't suggest bothering with anything except negotiation, intimidation, and con, and 1 point with a specialization is probably good enough so long as you aren't the party's main face and your charisma isn't god awful.

Use a search on Grammaton Cleric. There's been a few builds posted which readily fit this description.

That said, the build posted is quite solid.

- J.
Patrick the Gnome
I think Dodge is fine for this character. He certainly doesn't sound like he has any Gymnastics training and for a secondary combatant he's likely to be using a few of his IPs for full defense, at least often enough to justify the cost of the Dodge skill. Athletics group is pretty lousy IMHO, unless you're running from things and swimming a lot it's not worth it to get the group.
wind_in_the_stones
QUOTE (Patrick the Gnome @ Feb 13 2010, 02:10 AM) *
I think Dodge is fine for this character. He certainly doesn't sound like he has any Gymnastics training and for a secondary combatant he's likely to be using a few of his IPs for full defense, at least often enough to justify the cost of the Dodge skill. Athletics group is pretty lousy IMHO, unless you're running from things and swimming a lot it's not worth it to get the group.

Yes but Gymnastics and Dodge are functionally identical for this character.

You may not need to run from things, but don't forget that this is a melee guy, and will often be running to things. I'm sure my group is different from yours, but everyone has to make climbing and swimming checks at some point. I wonder which group Deadpool's is more like - mine or yours? For my team, Athletics group at 1 is highly recommended.
Tachi
Looks good, but unless you really want him to be a gun geek I'd drop Armorer and weapons design and use the points elsewhere. If it doesn't play a very big role in the characters life, they're not really important. But, If you need it for character fluff or think you'll need it then keep it, you can built it up quick and become the team's armorer, otherwise, lose it.

But, that's just my opinion, and nobody listens to me anyway...
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (wind_in_the_stones @ Feb 13 2010, 10:53 PM) *
Yes but Gymnastics and Dodge are functionally identical for this character.

You may not need to run from things, but don't forget that this is a melee guy, and will often be running to things. I'm sure my group is different from yours, but everyone has to make climbing and swimming checks at some point. I wonder which group Deadpool's is more like - mine or yours? For my team, Athletics group at 1 is highly recommended.

Odd... I have never had to make a swimming check in all the years that I have played Shadowrun... even though I routinely buy the skill... I have, however, used Climbing a lot...

Keep the Faith
wind_in_the_stones
Last time i was in the water, I died. that's what happens when you're last in line, and you have spirit bane (water)... and there's a hidden water spirit... that beat your initiative...

Making my swim check only helped me get to where the spirit was. frown.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (wind_in_the_stones @ Feb 15 2010, 11:14 PM) *
Last time i was in the water, I died. that's what happens when you're last in line, and you have spirit bane (water)... and there's a hidden water spirit... that beat your initiative...

Making my swim check only helped me get to where the spirit was. frown.gif

WOW... that is just brutal...

Keep the Faith
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012