Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Deadly Decking
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Elfie
I was reading through the Decker Tricks and the Idiots guide to the Matrix threads and got the idea to post this question here, since there are so many of you Matrix gurus out there cyber.gif

I'm currently in a game, running my first Decker, and of course that means the group looks to me for all the info gathering now. Not too bad, usually, but now I have to make multiple trips into Lone Star's matrix. Wonderful. I'm not asking how exactly I should go about doing this (that would be cheating wink.gif ), but rather, do I have a shot with my current deck? The stats are below:

Homebuilt deck:

MPCP-8
Hardening 4
Response 2
I/O 600
Memory 1300
Storage 2900
Detection factor 8
Casing 6
Bod 6
Eva 5
Mas 8
Sen 5
Init 10+3d6

All my programs are at rating 6:
Analyze, Browse, Camo, Comlink, Deception, Decrypt, Defuse, Evaluate, Read/Write, Spoof, Validate.
Sleaze 8
Attack D 5 / Stealth 5
Armor 6

Now since this is my first decker (I've only been runing this guy for 6 months real time), I'm not great with all the decker tricks there are out there. I'm pretty sure I'll need some serious upgrading of my equipment. Our group was fronted 800,000 nuyen.gif to cover equipment, and for the most part the group gave me first crack at the money, but naturally I don't want to spend all of it.

I was thinking of pumping my programs to rating 8, but should I try to buy a rating 9 or 10 deck first? Also, there is the idea to use frames, but I've never used them before so I don't know how to make good use out of them if I do purchase one.

So in closing, is there a chance my decker will live to reap the rewards of the run, or should I get ready to put this character sheet in with all the 'retired' (read: dead) characters of games past?

EDIT: the post didn't like my little table
mfb
first, put your deck into Masking mode. that brings your Masking up to 12; if you purchase rating 8 progs, your DF could reach a maximum of 13 (+3 DF by allocating 6 hp). that's high enough that you probably won't take Sec Tally on most of your operations.

your biggest problem is going to be the operations themselves. even with rating 8 programs, your TN will probably be around 6 for most of the things you do. the first thing you should do, of course, is to validate an account. as much as you can, stay within the operations allowed by that account--if you're feeling lucky, go for a security account (+4 TN).
Panzergeist
Yes, you have a chance. Pretty muc everything he said. Masking mode, buy extra DF with hacking pool. Only buy 2 DF though, because 13 is the same as 12, since all 6s get re-rolled, unless your GM has a house rule on that. Validate an account and try to use it for as many legal operations as possible. If you have more than 1 karma pool, I reccomend validating a security account, using a karma pool point to re-roll the validate operation. But you'll want to save 1 karma pool to save your life if the drek hits the fan. Other than that, I recomend an ICCM filter to protect against black IC, and system familiarity skills. If you have a chipjack, which I recomend, you can buy a system familiarity knowsoft at rating 3 for only a few grand, which can help you.
Elfie
What is this allocating hacking pool to Detection Factor? Is it a house rule or canon, I've never heard of it. Is it something like give in 2 hacking pool dice to add +1 to DF? If so, is there a limit? Oh, i have enough system familiarity skills to at least keep me from making a stupid mistake, and my hacking pool is 23 at the moment biggrin.gif
Jason Farlander
QUOTE (Elfie)
my hacking pool is 23 at the moment biggrin.gif

I, for one, would *love* to see how you managed that many hacking pool dice. Please, post your calculations.
Elfie
I'm sorry, I wrote and posted that way too fast. I meant to say I can roll 23 dice at most (hooray for think before you speak). My hacking pool is only an 11. Tack on a Decking skill of 9 and a task pool of 3, that would give me 23, right?
The White Dwarf
You can only use pool up to your base skill, and task pool isnt exaclty compatable straight over (iirc, maybe it is, been awhile since I decked). Anyway, that puts you at 18-21 dice on a single shot if you blow it all at once.
Jason Farlander
Except the task pool dice granted by your encephalon do not apply to computer tests, so you probably only have a task pool of 1 as far as computer tests are concerned. What are you using to gain that +2 to your decking specialization? (or are you no longer a starting character...?)

Also, for some reason I'm thinking you should have a hacking pool of 10... (int 8+MPCP8)/3 =5 (r.d.) 5+3(Math SPU) +2(encephalon) = 10. What am I missing?
Fortune
QUOTE (Elfie @ Feb 10 2004, 03:00 PM)
My hacking pool is only an 11.

How did you get that?

Hacking Pool is MPCP + Intelligence/3.

I'll assume you have a Math SPU, so that gives you +3 HP, leaving you with 8 naturally.

Encephalon gives you +2 more, so that leaves 6 naturally.

Your MPCP is 8. In order to get a Hacking Pool of 11 with those numbers, wouldn't your Intelligence have to be something like 10?
The White Dwarf
Also, using hacking pool to get DF is an optional rule in Matrix. Dont have book handy for a page number but its in there. Think its 2 or 3 dice to one DF, again been awhile tho.
hp_warcraft
You have 800,000 nuyen for expenses??? Holy Deus! biggrin.gif

My temporary Solution for the harder data-runs has been to update my programs with the Stealth option from Matrix. This option increases your DF by the rating of the option, and combined with running in masking mode it gives you a few actions before your security tally send the IC after you.

The most valuable decker trick I know is to take advantage of your Etiquette: Matrix and contacts. Do you know anyone on the inside that might slip you a password? Can Mr. Johnson's employers provide you with a back door? Which recently fired Lone Star data pusher might enjoy a little extra nuyen and some sweet vengeance by providing you with access or information? wink.gif And it never hurts to check Shadowland and see if anyone has something to sell or tell. Just don't be too noisy in your inquiries.

With a Computer: Decking skill of 9, you can only use 9 dice from hacking pool on any action, but those extra hacking pool dice are great for suppressing IC that you have crashed so they don't increase your security tally.
Shockwave_IIc
It's on pg 26.

Optional Rule: Hacking Pool and IC suppression.
Optional Rule: Hacking Pool and Detection Factor. 2 for 1, with a max gain of +3.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012