Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Character Sheets for an Online Game
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Dashifen
Hi all. Some of you maybe aware of this, either because you're a beta tester or you're a player in a game being run by a beta tester, but I'm currently writing a huge online database system for game masters of online shadowrun games. I'm currently calling it the Dashifen Character Record System (DCRS). Right now, it's pretty bare bones and I'm not really opening it up for general consumption yet, but I'll make a post when that happens.

But, I'm also torn about one of the features that I could offer. So, this poll.

Here's the deal: I've written parsers for most of the .dat files with the NSRCG and could upload some of the information to the web (no descriptions, just the names and the book/page reference to as not to offend copyright owners). I know I'm going to upload spells and gear to allow GMs to make a record of what spells a character has sustained and what gear they're carrying vs. what they own.

But, how many of you have easy access to the character sheets for your players and NPCs full character sheets? I know that I upload them to my website so that I can see them as I run the game because I can be at any of about five different computers. So, I don't really need another way to keep track of my character's edges and flaws, cyberware, etc. because those things don't change all that often.

But, if a majority of people in the poll do not have access to their character sheets online, then having a record of the edges and flaws, cyberware, etc. that a character currently has might be important to people other than me.

So, poll and post away. Do me a favor and refrain from too many feature requests on the Dashifen Character Record System. I'll be posting about the features available to the system shortly when I move it from beta testing to actual release. Then we can negotiate more features smile.gif

Thanks everyone.
Jpwoo
I could see this being a matter of choice. Personally as a GM I wouldn't want the address of all the sheets public knowlage to all the players. I like the mystery.
Mal-2
I don't run online games, but I keep copies of my players' characters online (either as NSRCG character files, HTML charactersheets, or just text files), so that I can refer to them during play, from whatever computer happens to be nearby.

Mal-2
Grey
One of these days I'm gunna get a laptop with one of those screens that twist around so I can use all the software tools and spin the screen to show my players whats up.
Dashifen
They're called a Tablet PC -- or at least that's the incarnation that i've seen of them smile.gif

I've always wanted to get a projector with an opaque lens cap that I could project what's on my laptop screen only at certain times. Similar idea smile.gif
mfb
most laptops have a function that allows the display to show only on the laptop screen, on the laptop screen and on the output (monitor, projector, whatever), or only on the output.
Dashifen
True -- all the more reason to get my hands on a projector
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012