Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flintlocks
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Reaver
What damage code do you think would be appropriate for flintlock pistols and rifles?
Austere Emancipator
Humm. The most powerful muzzleloading rifles might well do 7S or even 9S, since at short/medium ranges they seem to be capable of the same velocities at same bullet weights as mid-caliber rifles (comparisons to .30-06 were common in my short Google-excursion). The ranges for those should be between the SMG and AR ranges.

Pistols I couldn't find a good source on. The few figures suggested performance between what might be considered Light and Heavy Pistols, so maybe 6M? Will vary a lot depending on ammo type, loading, etc.
Reaver
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
Humm. The most powerful muzzleloading rifles might well do 7S or even 9S, since at short/medium ranges they seem to be capable of the same velocities at same bullet weights as mid-caliber rifles (comparisons to .30-06 were common in my short Google-excursion). The ranges for those should be between the SMG and AR ranges.

Pistols I couldn't find a good source on. The few figures suggested performance between what might be considered Light and Heavy Pistols, so maybe 6M? Will vary a lot depending on ammo type, loading, etc.

I should have said this before. Think old fashioned powder, not the refined stuff we'd have today or in 2063. smile.gif
Austere Emancipator
I thought as much, which is why I also invested a few valuable minutes reading articles such as this, which suggest that the performance of blackpowder weapons has not significantly improved IRL. If the last 100 years hasn't seen significant improvement, I doubt the next 60 will either.
Reaver
I thought as much, which is why I also invested a few valuable minutes reading articles such as this, which suggest that the performance of blackpowder weapons has not significantly improved IRL. If the last 100 years hasn't seen significant improvement, I doubt the next 60 will either.

AE, you rock! biggrin.gif
Jason Farlander
Applying my lack of any real knowledge on the subject outside of speculation to pose a couple of questions:

Shouldnt you be able to vary the power of the shot depending on how much powder you use? Would black powder rifles/pistols fare comparably well to their modern fellows against modern body armor?
nezumi
The power would not even be close to on par with our present guns. I'd tend to say something like 4S or even 4M. It should not be more powerful than say a bayonet or a sword, and it's very unusual for someone to die within a few seconds of getting shot (unlike our present pistols). Usually cause of death would be infection or shock. Also keep in mind that most of the casualties from these weapons weren't wearing armor. The ranges would be piss poor. Medium range would be maybe maybe 20, I'd guess, with a musket, 10 or 15 with a pistol. Rifles would only do slightly better (better still with machined bullets and barrels). I'm not a ballistics person in any way, but I do read more than my fair share of history, and usually the only way they made effective use of muskets in the revolutionary war was by having a whole lot of them, and that was just until they could close the distance enough to use real weapons like swords.
GunnerJ
The ranges of a musket would be crap. On par with a hold-out pistol, maybe even. Musketeers fired their weapons in large group volleys, on the principle that enough lead going in one direction would hit something. They weren't even told to aim, as that was impractical at the ranges used.
Reaver
QUOTE (Jason Farlander)
Applying my lack of any real knowledge on the subject outside of speculation to pose a couple of questions:

Shouldnt you be able to vary the power of the shot depending on how much powder you use? Would black powder rifles/pistols fare comparably well to their modern fellows against modern body armor?

To a small extent. Too much powder and you could cause an explosion (think pipe bomb in your hand) or damage the gun.

Nezumi, you are very right. Most people died more from infection from the wound than the wound itself. Especially in France where they never bathed or washed thier clothes. wink.gif

4M and 4S sounds good. I might bump muskets up to 5 or 6S. Muskets definitly tended to be a bit more lethal, especially during the civil war when a bullet could take off a limb.
Hero
Besides, it would also depend on the type of shot you are using, I have a friend that has a muzzle loader. He has used round and slug shaped shot, round shot is some what like a hollow point round in that it has a lot of surface area, but not vary accurate past a certain range. The normal slug form is far more accurate the the round shot, and has the usual effectiveness of a normal slug, except for the lower velocities. I say round shot would have a effective range of a light pistol while the normal slug form would either have an effective range of a heavy pistol or SMG.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Jason Farlander)
Shouldnt you be able to vary the power of the shot depending on how much powder you use?

Yes, but you can do this by hand-loading ammunition for any sort of modern firearm.

Would black powder rifles/pistols fare comparably well to their modern fellows against modern body armor?

Slightly worse, because of the very large bullet diameters. I guess saboted ammunition would be possible, which would allow penetration comparable to modern rifles.

QUOTE (nezumi)
The power would not even be close to on par with our present guns.

All the sites I visited implied otherwise. Of the ~dozen tables I looked at, most showed muzzle velocities well above 1000fps at bullet weights between 60gr and ~120gr for the pistols -- comparable to, say, a .380ACP 105gr at 1000fps. For the rifles, like I said, the ballistics were comparable to mid-caliber rifles like the .30-06, but more likely to be something akin to the .45-70 -- I'd guess the large caliber would allow to make good use of heavy bullets.

You might be right about the ranges though, because I could find any reference for ranges of Ye Olde Guns, only modern ones. The modern ones appear to have effective ranges up to ~200-300 meters, or something like that. I've no doubt the accuracy is pretty much crap compared to "conventional" firearms (or whatever is the correct term for the modern firearms that are not muzzleloading nor use blackpowder).

[Edit]Looking at that again, either the pistol tables I saw were for really light pistols, or then muzzleloading pistols were indeed much weaker than the rifles. If it's the latter, 5M might be better for the pistols (worse penetration than Light Pistols, better wounding capability because of larger bullet). I'd still suggest 6S-7S for the rifle damages, unless someone has some data supporting the idea that the guns used to be significantly weaker.[/Edit]
Tom Collins
As others have stated, the real problem with many of these weapons was infection. Today's weapons fire rounds at a high enough velocity that they are effectively sterile when entering a human body. Guns from the American Civil War and prior to it did not have such high velocities, and often dragged foreign material (ie clothing) in when hitting someone. This lead to a much higher rate of infection. Of course, with modern medicine, this is less of a concern. Of course, modern black powder rifles are a little better and can produce higher velocities.

As for ranges, it depends on what you are talking about. American revolutionary War muskets had an effective range of maybe 100yds. By the American Civil War, the rifles being used had a range of more like 300yds, and were reasonably accurate.

As for damage, I'd say maybe a 6-7M. These guns could easily do as much damage to someone as being hit with a modern rifle at close range (musket balls weren't exactly small). Maybe a little higher dmg code for later madel rifles. Regardless, because of their generally lower velocity, I would allow probably let whoever is being shot take thier armor rating and multiply it by 1.5 to reflect the fact that it will be more effefctive at stopping a ball than a bullet (or at least it seems like it should).
Req
QUOTE (Tom Collins @ Feb 10 2004, 11:08 AM)
As others have stated, the real problem with many of these weapons was infection.  Today's weapons fire rounds at a high enough velocity that they are effectively sterile when entering a human body.

Care to clarify this a bit? How does velocity = sterility? Last I checked, bullets weren't sterile. Modern guns may not bring big ol' scraps of your clothing with them, but I'm willing to bet if you dropped a modern round in a culture flask you'd find a trainload of microbes ready to go to work. And I wouldn't think every gunshot wound also included a 1"x1" square of cloth, in the old days.

I'd wager the "infection" had less to do with the weaponsbeing fired and more to do with the lack of any reasonable antibiotics or medical care, but then that's just me.
Austere Emancipator
At this point, it would be nice to know whether Reaver wants to implement actual 19th (or earlier) century weaponry, with authentic parts, firing authentic ammunition, or just authentic weapons used in a modern setting.

For example, if the limitation really is authentic ammunition, then penetration will be really poor against any form of body armor, because you are limited to slow, large-caliber expanding bullets. On the other hand, in such a setting penetration will be a non-issue, since there won't be any body armor either. Right?

And I'm with Req about the infections.
Reaver
At this point, it would be nice to know whether Reaver wants to implement actual 19th (or earlier) century weaponry, with authentic parts, firing authentic ammunition, or just authentic weapons used in a modern setting.

For example, if the limitation really is authentic ammunition, then penetration will be really poor against any form of body armor, because you are limited to slow, large-caliber expanding bullets. On the other hand, in such a setting penetration will be a non-issue, since there won't be any body armor either. Right?

And I'm with Req about the infections.

Reason for this is an astral quest. Weaponry would be roughly rennasaince level technology. Not worried about body armor as far as firearms are concerned as the runners won't have modern body armor.
Reaver
QUOTE (Req)
As others have stated, the real problem with many of these weapons was infection.  Today's weapons fire rounds at a high enough velocity that they are effectively sterile when entering a human body.

Care to clarify this a bit? How does velocity = sterility? Last I checked, bullets weren't sterile. Modern guns may not bring big ol' scraps of your clothing with them, but I'm willing to bet if you dropped a modern round in a culture flask you'd find a trainload of microbes ready to go to work. And I wouldn't think every gunshot wound also included a 1"x1" square of cloth, in the old days.

I'd wager the "infection" had less to do with the weaponsbeing fired and more to do with the lack of any reasonable antibiotics or medical care, but then that's just me.

Most infection was from the lack of hygeine that was typical in that day. Peple wouldn't wash thier clothes for days on end. When the bullet passes through it, you end up with all kinds of crud in the wound.
Austere Emancipator
Then something like 4M and 5S might indeed be more reasonable. I won't comment on what the ranges on renaissance era firearms might be, because I haven't got a clue.
Reaver
Then something like 4M and 5S might indeed be more reasonable. I won't comment on what the ranges on renaissance era firearms might be, because I haven't got a clue.

I'm worried more about the damages, and I agree with those damage codes. I think that will do quite nicely. Thanks again AE. Thanks to everyone else as well smile.gif
Austere Emancipator
Glad to help. I'm grateful for every excuse to Google up some firearms-related stuff. biggrin.gif
Jason Farlander
QUOTE (Req)

Velocity does not sterilize a bullet... directly. Heat does, though. Friction causes heat. Air resistance is a form of friction. I think thats where Mr. Collins is coming from. I, personally, dont know whether a greater amount of heat is transferred to a bullet through the gunpowder explosion or through friction, but bullets *do* get really hot before they hit. Hot enough to sterilize the bullet? I'm not sure. Probably. It doesnt matter, really. The bacteria on the bullet the moment before impact arent the real problem.

The real problem are bacteria on the clothes and skin of the target. You dont need a 1" square patch of cloth to introduce millions of bacteria into a wound, a tiny piece will do. This, combined with the lack of any real antibiotics and the fact that doctors didnt understand the importance of sanitation/disinfection until the 1870's (they didnt wash their hands or sterilize equipment), is why so many people died of infections in pre-20th century wars.
Tom Collins
ok, here's the way it works. A bullet fired from a modern gun reaches temperatures between 200-300C without too much trouble. This is hot enough to effectively sterilize the bullet (boiling water @ 100C will do a fairly nice job of sterilizing something for you, like said water). Additionally, modern ammo is less likely to drag in foreign objects (like clothing). Because of this, you can treat a wound from a modern rifle as damn near sterile (they'll probably still want to make sure it's clean, but they probably won't be pulling peices of clothe out of you). Of course, this is for todays high velocity rifles (>2000fps). The muskets and rifles of old fired at a much lower velocity (~1000fps at best). This means that the round is less likely to be sterilized when being fired, and more importantly, was MUCH more likely to contaminate the wound with foreign material.
Req
QUOTE (Tom Collins)
ok, here's the way it works. A bullet fired from a modern gun reaches temperatures between 200-300C without too much trouble. This is hot enough to effectively sterilize the bullet (boiling water @ 100C will do a fairly nice job of sterilizing something for you, like said water). Additionally, modern ammo is less likely to drag in foreign objects (like clothing). Because of this, you can treat a wound from a modern rifle as damn near sterile (they'll probably still want to make sure it's clean, but they probably won't be pulling peices of clothe out of you). Of course, this is for todays high velocity rifles (>2000fps). The muskets and rifles of old fired at a much lower velocity (~1000fps at best). This means that the round is less likely to be sterilized when being fired, and more importantly, was MUCH more likely to contaminate the wound with foreign material.

Well, boiling water for 10 minutes is a good way of killing most things in it. But it's by no means "sterile." "Aseptic," maybe. I see where you're coming from, but "sterile" means something different - no detectable microbial population at all. And we normally do that with an autoclave (pressurized steam at high temperature for a half hour) or various nasty gases - ozone, high-dose vaporous hydrogen peroxide, etc etc etc.

I'm sure the infection factor was effected (somewhat) by the weapons, but I'd say it's a drop in the bucket compared to the medical state of the art. If you were to bring you 30-06 to a civil war battle and plug some Rebs with it, I'm willing to bet that the ones who didn't die from the shot would face serious infection problems.
boodah
reaver, why do i not want to game all of a sudden?

-=shudders=-
Nikoli
I'm sure the infection factor was effected (somewhat) by the weapons, but I'd say it's a drop in the bucket compared to the medical state of the art. If you were to bring you 30-06 to a civil war battle and plug some Rebs with it, I'm willing to bet that the ones who didn't die from the shot would face serious infection problems.

This also explains why doctors saw a significant decrease in infections with patients who were worked on after the field hospitals ran out of silk. The surgeons would use horse hair, but this was normally too stiff to stitch a wound with, so they would boil it to soften it enough to close a wound.
Jason Farlander
Attaining a temperature of 300C will kill any bacteria on the surface of the bullet. They will simply burn off, like sticking a wire loop into a bunsen burner flame. Autoclaving is not an appropriate analogy, because it has different considerations.
nezumi
QUOTE (nezumi)
The power would not even be close to on par with our present guns.

All the sites I visited implied otherwise. Of the ~dozen tables I looked at, most showed muzzle velocities well above 1000fps at bullet weights between 60gr and ~120gr for the pistols -- comparable to, say, a .380ACP 105gr at 1000fps. For the rifles, like I said, the ballistics were comparable to mid-caliber rifles like the .30-06, but more likely to be something akin to the .45-70 -- I'd guess the large caliber would allow to make good use of heavy bullets.

I won't argue about the velocity of the slug. The question is, what happens when it enters in the body? Normally the entry wound of a bullet is the tidy part, especially when we're dealing with anti-personnel rounds which are more likely to be hollow point or what not, and our superior rifling. I've not seen anything in what I've read to suggest the explosive exit wounds you're likely to see from our heavier pistols. A black powder rifle might be comparable to a .22 or something a little larger I guess, since they (.22's) don't pack much punch. Someone mentioned having different sorts of bullets for their slug thrower, one like a normal bullet and one like hollow point. I'm not sure how recent that is, but I hadn't heard of it before. A blunderbuss and the like would still be pretty vicious (imagine a handcannon).

But, as I said before, I say this more because I read too much historical fiction (yay for Hornblower), not because I have any physical experience.
boodah
QUOTE (nezumi)
A black powder rifle might be comparable to a .22 or something a little larger I guess, since they (.22's) don't pack much punch.

50 caliber ball made of soft lead. a chest hit if it doesnt kill you will put you on your arse like a sledgehammer.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (nezumi)
A black powder rifle might be comparable to a .22 or something a little larger I guess, since they (.22's) don't pack much punch.

A black powder rifle can pack several times more power than .22s. First of all, the entry wound with most blackpowder weapons is 2-3 times that of the .22 in diameter (.44 - ~.70 being common). Secondly, the muzzle energy with a modern blackpowder rifle can be as much as 20 times greater than with a .22LR rifle, being comparable to the aforementioned .30-06 or 7.62x51 and similar calibers.

Because of a lack of tumbling and smaller temporary cavity, the exit wounds may well be smaller than with modern rifles. The article I linked to earlier indicates that the power level of muzzleloading rifles has not significantly increased in a bit over 100 years. Maybe during the renaissance the weapons had only 1/3rd the muzzle energy of their mid-1850s counterparts, but that would still mean several times more energy than a .22LR, close (but probably superior) to .45ACP. Except with a heavier bullet, less speed, less penetration, poorer accuracy, shorter effective range.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (boodah)
50 caliber ball made of soft lead. a chest hit if it doesnt kill you will put you on your arse like a sledgehammer.

No. Unless it also puts the firer on his arse like a sledgehammer, except worse because the target always receives less energy and usually over a longer time period.

Once again, people get knocked down by firearms because of pain, shock, etc. Not because the momentum of the bullet throws them down. If the momentum of the bullet was the main cause of knockdown, then firing guns would be really fucking hazardous.

The momentum (or energy) or the bullet might come to play in some very extreme situations, where penetration is very slight but energy extremely high, like with a powerful shotgun firing small shot, or any kind of powerful shotgun round against body armor. In just about any other case, the direct velocity/mass effect on the body of the target is, at best, of secondary importance to knocking the target down.
Lindt
Game terms IMO. Treat as gel rounds, cept then do physical damage.
Austere Emancipator
Then be sure to give that knockdown bonus of gel rounds to shotguns firing slugs as well, and to any large-caliber rifles firing expanding ammunition.

Although useless for Reaver: Do gel rounds go against Impact or Ballistic? I could find reference in the Ammo section on p. 118 of SR3. For these rounds, it should certainly be Ballistic.
Req
QUOTE (Jason Farlander)
Attaining a temperature of 300C will kill any bacteria on the surface of the bullet. They will simply burn off, like sticking a wire loop into a bunsen burner flame. Autoclaving is not an appropriate analogy, because it has different considerations.

IIRC the coldest part of a bunsen burner flame is around 550 degrees C, and it goes up from there (to 1450 or so?). Without more testing (or some proof) I am not willing to state categorically that a very short time of heating, which potentially reaches 200-300C, is sufficient to absolutely sterilize a bullet.

What considerations are you talking about? An autoclave is better than dry heat, and penetrates more into packed Stuff™, but even in dry-heat sterilization devices we're talking about a relatively long cycle to guarentee sterilization - Steris self-autoclaving incubators have a half-hour to an hour cycle, I think, and that's just to sterilize surface bacteria on metal. Very similar to what we'd consider with this bullet. One or two seconds? Maybe, but I wouldn't bet on it.

danbot37
I used to hunt with a black powder rifle. It was a civil war replica, not a 'modern muzzle loader. It could shoot anywhere from 80 to 120 grains of black powder, shooting .50 caliber (half an inch wide, mind you) balls. Shooting one, I read as much as I could about em, and this is what I know (as probably could be found in any black powder sporting magazine)... Often times, a .50 or .54 caliber black powder rifle would be used for elephant hunting at the turn of the century or so, and it would work. Thats a lot of power, to take down an elephant. These elephant rifles did use more grains than a standard rifle, but a half inch wide soft lead ball travelling at that speed would leave a good sized hole, and the expansion of the bullet when it hits will tear something up. Makes quite an exit wound on a watermelon, I can tell you that from experience. Some civil war soldiers/woodsmen could shoot acurately at ranges up to a 1000 yards, but much speed would be lost by then, and they had to aim high above the target to hit it. Some power and damage of a modern day blackpowder rifle may be increased, as some can even shoot rifled bullets. Other effects might be a cover modifier if used in sr;even modern black powder makes quite a bit of smoke. As far as rate of fire, a GOOD shooter could shoot 3 rounds per minute, so you're looking at some time to load ( a few rounds at least)
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (danbot37)
Makes quite an exit wound on a watermelon, I can tell you that from experience.

That doesn't take much, though. Watermelons can be blown into pieces with weapons not nearly powerful enough for elephant hunting. Look here, the Shattermelons video. That's a pistol that is certainly not something you'd want to shoot an elephant with, and the melons don't get an exit wound, they just blow up.

Some civil war soldiers/woodsmen could shoot acurately at ranges up to a 1000 yards [...]

That sounds a bit much. That's the kind of accuracy you'd expect from a modern 7.62x51mm rifle in perfect conditions, or a larger magnum in less perfect conditions. The figures I saw put the effective range of a (modern) muzzleloading rifle between 150 and 300 yards, while the effective range of a 7.62x51mm is probably somewhere in the 500-800 yards (or more, depends heavily on the intended use, I'm talking mostly about hunting here).

Is there something backing up that 1000-yard accuracy story?
lodestar
Just as a side note the Street Sweeper as presented in the CC gives you the cost of powder "cubes" one might use for such purposes. Given that it's performance should be similar to that of a black powder shot gun one might use similar rules for muskets.

Where's Raygun when you need him? wink.gif
Fortune
Do gel rounds go against Impact or Ballistic?

AFAIK, Gel rounds are affected by Impact, not Ballistic Armor. smile.gif
Diesel
That's dumb.
Fortune
Why?
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (Tom Collins)
Today's weapons fire rounds at a high enough velocity that they are effectively sterile when entering a human body. Guns from the American Civil War and prior to it did not have such high velocities, and often dragged foreign material (ie clothing) in when hitting someone.

AFAIK a modern bullet from a modern gun still does this too. Trauma surgeons treating GSWs often find hair, buttons, and other bits of debris in the wound.
boodah
If the momentum of the bullet was the main cause of knockdown, then firing guns would be really fucking hazardous.

yea, your right. hey reav, remember my 12ga?
Reaver
QUOTE (boodah)
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Feb 10 2004, 03:49 PM)
If the momentum of the bullet was the main cause of knockdown, then firing guns would be really fucking hazardous.

yea, your right. hey reav, remember my 12ga?

The foot pounds of energy a bullet delivers can potentialy be enough to knock someone down or at least make them stagger back. It depends on the bullet thou. Small .22 caliber rounds don't do that, but a .45 will definitely make an impact (pun intended). wink.gif

For the most part, pain and shock are the greater factor when a person drops from a gunshot.

Yes Boodah, I remember your 12 gauge, but I like Chris' 10 gauge better. smile.gif

As for ranges, I think I'll use light pistol for flintlock pistols and assault rifle for the flintlock rifles. Although, with a lead ball, accuracy will suffer at greater than short to medium range. I'm thinking about increasing long and extreme by +2.

I'm not really worried about cost since this is going to be for an astral quest, but it doesn't hurt to debate it for real SR applications. smile.gif
Birdy
Some data:

a) There is a difference between rifles (with grooves/lands in the barrel, imparting spin stabilisation on the bullet) and muskets (smoothbore, no spin)

British Rifleman of the Napoleonic area firing the rather low powered Baker rifle (Think Sharps Shooters here) could reliably hit targets out to 200m. Some hunting rifles had longer ranges.

Muskets where a compromise between the complicated loading of a rifled muzzle loader (That involved the use of a mallet as well as regular cleaning and/or use of greased patches[US hunters]) and range. Add the difficulties in drilling the grooves and the rather low standing times before the weapon was "shot out" and massed musket fire from the rather cheaply available soldiers was a nice idea for those who didn't have to stand in line.

b) There is a difference between an 1815 muzzleloader (say Brown Bess or the above Baker) and a 1865 muzzleloader (say Civil war era guns). The latter are rifled (even the "Muskets") firing the Miniee bullet (ovoid bullet that allowed fast loading of rifled muzzelloaders and expandes into the grooves on firing. French development) That the civil war/crimean war/US-Mexican war saw quite a few of the "classic" line attacks has to do with military inertia[1] and the rather low visibility on blackpowder battlefields as well as the rather low training of quite a few troops.

c) After the US civil war, the standard service rifle (Springfield Pattern 1858 IIRC) was converted to a metall cartridge firing weapon that served the US Army until the time of the Cuban War - The "Trapdoor Springfield" first in .50 than in .45-70

d) All weapons until the introduction of the French Lebel 8mm (around 1880) where firing black powder since our modern nitro powder was developed by the french for that rifle!

e) The following famous weapons are using blackpowder without a cartridge/a paper cartridge (that just eases loading)

Colt Navy
Colt Walker
Colt Dragoon
All Sharps rifles before IIRC 1865
Hall Carabine (US Army)

f) Dead

Even as late as WWII the big mankillers where infections and bleeding to death. High speed, ovoid/pointed nose bullets are actually better at wounding than at killing (Kill one = 2man, 1 hour, wound one= 4-6 man multiple days)

Within their letal range muzzell

Conclusion:

A rifled muzzelloader is effective out to 200m

A blackpowder weapon has a one shot kill capacity if rifled as prooven in various wars

The damage capacity is not much lower than with modern firearms but ranges are shorter, ammunition is heavier (IIRC around 9-10mm is the smallest effective bore size for a blackpowder rifle while even first generation nitro-powder weapons achived the same damage and better ranges at 7.5-8mm)

I'd say give them a hunting rifles damage (6S-7S), low rate of fire (1-2 rnd/minute for elite units like 92/95[2] Foot) and short range (say 150m) for early 19th century rifled weapons.

Give Muskets a lower damage[3] (5M-7M), low rate of fire (3-4 rnd/minute) and a short range (say 25m)

Michael

[1] Ask Custer about Gaitlings....
[2] Only one of the two really existed, the other is Cornwells "Fictional Twin" for his brilliant "Sharps" series (The novels!)
[3] Unlike rifles with their tight fit muskets loose energy from the loose fit of the bullet
nezumi
The biggest change will be reloading time, as was already mentioned. Muskets are pretty quick to load compared to rifles. I believe at Williamsburg they said an unskilled person could load a musket in under 15 seconds, a skilled person in under 7. Rifles take significantly longer (go with the number mentioned earlier). Either way, I'd make a quickness or muskets/rifles test every time I reloaded and divide 15 by the number of successes.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Reaver)
As for ranges, I think I'll use light pistol for flintlock pistols and assault rifle for the flintlock rifles.

If flintlock pistols use LP, then SMG ranges are more reasonable for flintlock rifles. After all, even the modern muzzleloading rifles do not boast effective ranges beyond ~200-300 yards, and accuracy probably was quite a bit worse 300 years ago.

[Edit]After Birdy's contribution, I think using halved LP ranges for pistol-sized muskets and normal LP ranges for long-arms might be better.[/Edit]

The foot pounds of energy a bullet delivers can potentialy be enough to knock someone down or at least make them stagger back. It depends on the bullet thou. Small .22 caliber rounds don't do that, but a .45 will definitely make an impact (pun intended).

For the most part, pain and shock are the greater factor when a person drops from a gunshot.

A .45 will also make a gaping wound through you. Even if that wound just suddenly appeared there, without causing any change in the momentum or kinetic energy of the receiver, staggering or falling would be a likely consequence. And the kinetic energy on a .45ACP bullet is somewhere around 12-25% of what a 12G shotgun produces -- varies a lot depending on the cartridge types.

If you want to see whether a .45ACP has enough energy to make you stagger/fall down, just fire the pistol from a straight standing position with your hands right on your chest. With a really big gun, like most shotguns, there might be problems. But considering the kinds of positions from which I've fired a 9mmP and a 7.62x39mm, I'm certain weapons in those calibers wouldn't.

And then there's the penetration thing. A lot of the kinetic energy on a bullet will go towards deforming the target. With recoil, this doesn't happen. Add in the effect from the expanding gasses, and I'm sure the recoil you feel when firing a gun is at least some 25% and maybe up to 100% more energetic than the actual hit. Not to mention the possibility of overpenetration and thus wasted kinetic energy.

So I'd still say pain and shock are by far the most important factors when a person drops from a gunshot, except in special situations of the sort that have been mentioned.
danbot37
I just coulda sworn at a visit to Shiloh National Battlefield they said a 1000 yards... I know it wasn't 100, I could shoot accurately at 100 and have no skill, I see no reason why someone who shot his dinner everday with one couldn't be that accurate;also note this was for showing off purposes only, at that range, there was not nough power to do much of anything.
CrimsonBaron
Well it really depended on the type of black powder weapon, an unrifled brown bess that was a common british weapon, had virtually a 10 meter accuracy range because it was smooth bore with no rifling. Remember the saying, "Do not fire until you see the whites of their eyes?" they said this because they couldnt hit anything til you saw the whites of the eyes. As the Kentucky long rifle had an effective range of 300 meters, because it was rifled. As for pistols, I once saw a man stand 10 feet from a sheet on a string, shoot at it, and miss so that will tell you bout that. As for killing power, a round ball from a flint lock musket does not even come close to the killing power of a modern AR round, hope this helps.
Raygun
So I'd still say pain and shock are by far the most important factors when a person drops from a gunshot, except in special situations of the sort that have been mentioned.

By far. You'll have better odds at physically knocking a person down by throwing a medicine ball at them than shooting them with a shotgun slug. You'll have better luck puncturing them and making them bleed out with the shotgun slug.

People are knocked down by gunfire because either A) they're off balance trying to avoid being hit at all, or B) that's what they've learned from TV and movies. Get a 150 pound bag of sand, suspend it so that it can swing freely, and shoot at it with whatever you want. Then take a bat to it. See which one moves it more.

QUOTE (CrimsonBaron)
As for killing power, a round ball from a flint lock musket does not even come close to the killing power of a modern AR round, hope this helps.

Really? Would you like to stand in front of one and prove that for us?

Sans body armor, I think I'd rather be hit by a 62 grain bullet moving at about 3000 fps (1238 fpe) than I would a one-ounce, .75" lead musket ball moving at about 1450 fps (2040 fpe). Not nearly as accurate. Not nearly the rate of fire. Plenty of "killing power".

Big bullets make big holes. Big holes bleed a lot. Bleeding a lot makes you dead pretty quick. Little bullets hurt people. People who are hurt usually need to be carried to the rear by other people in order to get fixed. That means less people to fight. Both have advantages.
mfb
give pistols 6M, muskets 6S, and add a +1 or +2 modifier to the firing TNs. 6M and 6S don't sound like much--but then, nobody has armor that's effective.
crazyivans
I have a question... Why would you Want to use a Muzzleloader? What are your role-playing reasons? I cant seem to figure it out...

Oh, and growing up me Da and I used to shoot and Hunt with Muzzleloaders. All the low range statements for smoothbores are pretty accurate, low range. But during Rev and Civil Wars, Sharpshooter Divisions armed with Rifled, Flint and Cap-Lock Rifles, were known to be effective as far out as 300 yards, so bear that in mind. As far as damage goes, you can fell a 6" tree, at 20 yards with a 45 caliber Muzzleloader and 100 grains, the blowout damage is so severe. But, ANY Ballistic armour would bring down the damage greatly, IMHO...
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (crazyivans)
Why would you Want to use a Muzzleloader? What are your role-playing reasons? I cant seem to figure it out...
QUOTE (Reaver)
Reason for this is an astral quest. Weaponry would be roughly rennasaince level technology.

It requires rather special circumstances, that's certain.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012