Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Power Foci and Aura reading and Centering
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Lilt
What magical skills can power foci provide a bonus to?

Interesting Quotes:
QUOTE (Aid Power @ P108, MitS)
The ally acts as a power focus, adding its Force to its master's Magic for purposes of Drain and adding its Force in dice to any of its master's Magical skill tests each turn.
Emphasis mine, but does this imply that power foci normally add dice to any of the master's magical skill tests?
QUOTE (Enchanting @ P30, MitS)
Enchanting(Willpower)
This Active Magical Skill is used by awakened characters to create magical goods (see Enchanting, p39). Only characters with a magic attribute of 1 or greater can have this skill. The background knowledge skill for Enchanting is Talismongering. Note that power foci do not add dice to the use of this skill.
Emphasis mine, but noteing that power foci do not add dice implies that it is an exception, but could that be talking about talismongering from the scentence just before it and power-foci do in-fact help enchanting?
Another interesting note is that power sites and ally spirits both add dice in a similar mnanner to a power focus, Would you allow either of them to add dice to Enchanting?
QUOTE (Power Foci @ P190, SR3)
You may also use a power focus's Force dice for Sorcery, Conjuring, or Drain Resistance Tests.
This does not mention Aura reading, the other active magical skill available in the main book, implying that power foci do not affect all magical skills.

So, from this: What tests would you let Power Focus, Power site, or Ally Aid Power dice apply to?
Assensing? (the Int test)
Aura Reading?
Centering?
Conjuring?
Divining?
Enchanting?
Sorcery?

(OK, putting Conjuring and Sorcery there is a bit anal but I thought I'd give a full skill list.)

[edit]Extended Enchanting quote[/edit]
mfb
it wouldn't add to assensing, as that's not a skill test. it would apply to aura reading, however. everything else you've listed looks like fair game.
Lilt
Wow: At-last someone with a barge pole and the willingness to touch this subject! wobble.gif

[ramble] Bah. This is just an issue that has been confusing me for a while. I've read around all of the relevant stuff I can find, so I thought I'd include the relevant (yet confusing) information. It seems that that just puts people off though. Should I have just asked "What magical skills can power foci be added to?" without the book quotes? I dunno. [/ramble]

Anyhow: Even to Enchanting? The quote about power foci not adding dice to the use of this skill is under the Enchanting heading. I should probably give the full quote. 1 sec, I'll edit the original post.
mfb
i'd say it's talking about Enchanting. after all, a power focus wouldn't add its rating to a Background Knowledge skill anyway; no need to specify it.
snowRaven
Yeah, I'd say the quote is talking about Enchanting.

I'm not sure I would allow Power Focus dice to be used for centering - after all, there is a separate foci specifically for that (and there is no general Sorcery or Conjuring foci - the Spell and Spirit are all more specified). [edit]Just thought of an interesting question...would you allow Power Foci to be used as extra dice for Sorcery in Astral Combat?[/edit]

Aura Reading is used as a complementary skill to Intelligence for assensing tests, so the dice would not apply there either IMO.
mfb
aura reading is a magical skill, though. there's nothing in the text which disincludes it. same for centering.

yes, power focus adds to sorcery during astral combat; again, there's nothing to disinclude it (an astral-only combat focus would be pretty cool, come to think).
spotlite
QUOTE (mfb)
(an astral-only combat focus would be pretty cool, come to think).

Mmm... bondable astral constructs...
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (spotlite)
Mmm... bondable astral constructs...

Which brings up the question: could a spirit cause an astral construct to manifest when it manifests? If so, a free spirit with an astrally resident flamberge could be lot of trouble for the adept with the reach 1 weapon focus.
Lilt
Would you allow an ally spirit's Aid Power dice to add to enchanting?
GoldenAri
In my group we've always allowed Aid power to assist in Enchanting, but not a power focus.

As I wrote this I got a thought an Enchanting Focus. Extra dice to a specific part of the enchanting test or for enchanting a specific type of focus.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012