Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: odds of a new SR comp/console game?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
fourstring_samurai
what does everybody think the chances are of a new shadowrun video game seeing light? Also, what would you like to see in said game?

Personally, i doubt that anything will be made anytime soon.
I wouldn't mind seeing something along the lines of KOTOR, but open ended (ala fallout 2, where you could keep playing after you beat the game) and with choices that really affect the outcome, not just a plot point 3 hours from the end of the game.
Kagetenshi
Negligible, though rumors are that Bungie may be eyeing the possibility.

~J
Lilt
I suspect that there will be another game someday, but probably not in the near future (2-4 of years). I'd expect a 4th edition to come-out before then, and would hope for the game to require an extremely high-end computer to run so that it can keep track of the big reasonably open-ended world. A Massively Multiplayer-like game, but with more character interaction with NPCs rather than massive multiplayer capacity, would be great. That said a MMOLRPG would be nice too, especially if people could GMs on it.
Large Mike

Being as Microsoft is just sitting on the rights to it, doubtful. They bought it when they bought mechwarrior, and havn't even looked at it's potential as a game at all.
Grey
I would love to see a Shadowrun game done in the style of Neverwinter Nights.

Neverwinter Nights... :drool:
GoldenAri
Personally I'd like it more along the lines of Morrowind or Deus Ex, but with a better combat engine.
GunnerJ
Problem with FPS style SR games would be figuring out how to implement reflex enhancers. It'd be easy to just make them varying grades of Bullet Time effects, so long as you only want a single-player experience. But how'd you apply that to multiplay?
BitBasher
Autotargeting. Remember its reflex not conscious action. You move faster but your body may shoot something you dont want it to vegm.gif
Panzergeist
If you want GMs, it cant be an MMORPG. It would have to be more Neverwinter Nights style. Although a few years from now it could be both, with a flexible server architechture.
mfb
eh, i can GM on tabletop (or at shadowland) with far less work than on an NWN-style setup. if i want to play an SR videogame, it's so i can get into the world and play.

reflex enhancements shouldn't be hard to model for multiplayer, as long as you don't try to stick too closely to SR's ruleset. make dodging an automatic action, and give wired characters a better chance at succeeding with their dodge attempts. make their clip/firing mode change animations sequences faster. the 'bullet time' thing is nice, but it's unworkable for multiplayer gaming.
GunnerJ
QUOTE (BitBasher)
Autotargeting. Remember its reflex not conscious action. You move faster but your body may shoot something you dont want it to vegm.gif

But then, what of Smartlink and Smartlink 2? Also, what if you're not using a ranged weapon? What if you don't plan on taking any combat actions, but do need to act fast (casting an invisibility spell, say)?
Moonstone Spider
I suppose you could use a GM system and still have it FPS style.

The trick is to have known trustworthy GMs acting as Mods, they control the Megacorps and IEs and Great Dragons. When a player causes a lot of trouble in the game one of the GMs kills him. Think it was fun shooting those 23 Newbie runners? Uh oh, turns out one of them was working for uncle Lofwyr who now wants your head on a stick.

The problem is, of course, that players will hate that and think that somehow having a realistic world where going on bloody killing sprees will get you killed infringes on their rights.
thalayli
I would love to see one in the style of jagged alliance 2, fallout tactics, or xcom, would work great with the shadowrun rules. They could dump you in a large area with a mission with tons of ways to accomplish it. May not be quite as open ended but great fun nonetheless.
mfb
when i dream about an SR mod for jagged alliance 2, i usually wake up with funny wet stuff on my sheets.
GoldenAri
Well, if you think about the fact that having a smartlink2, Orientation System with GPS, and a Biomonitor with Display link is essentially like being in an FPS already I think that that's the way to go. Things like a Tactical computer would be easier to approximate in a game like Fallout tactics but I think being a rigger in a FPS game would just rock.
Dax
I may just be an RPG junkie, but I'd like to see a Shadowrun RPG set up the same way Final Fantasy X-2 was. It's whole non-liner "mission" set up would fit Shadowrun rather well in my opinion. As its not a game that lends itself to fighting "uber evil" forces unless your tangling with something out of the two Threats books.
GunnerJ
I may just be an RPG junkie, but I'd like to see a Shadowrun RPG set up the same way Final Fantasy X-2 was. It's whole non-liner "mission" set up would fit Shadowrun rather well in my opinion.

Also, hot pants.
ShadowPhoenix
I'd love to see a game more in line with the Fallout/Fallout Tactics applied to SR, I think it would be very doable in addition could faithfully stick to most rules. keep it in real time mode until combat begins, then switch out to turn based for the intense precision moves you'd need your team to accomplish. course this would only be good for single player, but I think honestly, that making a single player game would make a great test bed to see if interest is there, then go MMORPG so it's not as risky to make an entire server architecture to have the game flop nyahnyah.gif then you gotta keep faithful to the look and feel of SR, that is a requirement biggrin.gif but I'd soooo buy SR if it were a Computer Game, but then again, I am a superhuge SR junkie.
GoldenAri
So, if Microsoft doesn't care about the license why not buy it from them.

I'll bet you could convince 5000 or so people to buy it.

at $50 a pop that's a quarter million dollars. That's good money for a little software company. But if it was actually cool then you could make more.
Solstice
No there won't be one for a number of years and here is my theory why:

The RIFTS movie will be coming out in a few years and it's really going to blow this whole genre of games wide open. It will rival Star Wars in it's broad based appeal WHILE staying pretty much loyal to the vision of the creators of that world (Kevin S. et al. ).

I'm sure a sucessful console or PC game or both will soon follow the movie. I bet Mircosoft is just waiting for someone else to take risk so they can get a first hand idea how this genre of game is accepted by the mass market. Then they will determine a course of action. If RIFTS does as well as expected you can expect SR movies and/or games on par with Matrix and games like Morrowind and NWN in terms of thier impact in respective fields.

The key is turning the general public on to genres that most people overlook such as medeval fantasy, as LOTR so grandly demonstrated. You can expect amazing things in the future (including SR) if the same proves true for this RIFTS venture.
GoldenAri
Wow. That will blow the fantasy future genre open. As long as it isn't another D&D (which I've heard tell there may be another) or Wing Commander. I hope it's cool, I've always liked the Rifts setting. Hated the system and ever spiralling power level, but loved the setting.
Adam
QUOTE (GoldenAri)
So, if Microsoft doesn't care about the license why not buy it from them.

I'll bet you could convince 5000 or so people to buy it.

at $50 a pop that's a quarter million dollars. That's good money for a little software company. But if it was actually cool then you could make more.

My understanding is that Microsoft has been approached by other companies who wanted to acquire or sublicense the property, and has turned those companies down each time. This info is a few years old, though - hardly breaking news.
Solstice
QUOTE (GoldenAri)
Wow. That will blow the fantasy future genre open. As long as it isn't another D&D (which I've heard tell there may be another) or Wing Commander. I hope it's cool, I've always liked the Rifts setting. Hated the system and ever spiralling power level, but loved the setting.

The movie will effectively awaken the genre like no other has done before, not Star Trek, not Star Wars. You will realize this when you read who is making the movie: Jerry Bruckheimer and Walt Disney Pictures. Multi-million dollar budget, full merchandising blitz, the works.

But as owners of the rights to the RPG and all RIFTS related content, Kevin Siembeda and the other designers at Palladium have full control and approval of what goes into the movie. In other words it's going to be completely accurate to the setting.

This movie is going to blow away the general populace and really boost the RPG industry in general.
GoldenAri
I hope so. Maybe they'll make a Rifts video came that can be mod'd to Shadowrun (that would be a good alternitive to hoping Microsoft removes the stick from up its ass)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012