Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Move-By-Wire question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
MikeKozar
The move-by-wire system confers a bonus of +2 to
the character’s Reaction attribute, +1 to the character’s
Dodge skill rating, and +1 Initiative Pass per point of rating.

Rating 1: +2 Reaction, +1 Dodge, +1 IP
Rating 2: +4 Reaction, +2 Dodge, +2 IP
Rating 2: +6 Reaction, +3 Dodge, +3 IP

That's wrong, yeah? I've been only increasing the IPs, but the only justification I can come up with for that reading is that +6 Reaction is "stupid". Anybody got a better rationale?

Mordinvan
QUOTE (MikeKozar @ Mar 4 2010, 04:12 PM) *
Rating 1: +2 Reaction, +1 Dodge, +1 IP
Rating 2: +4 Reaction, +2 Dodge, +2 IP
Rating 2: +6 Reaction, +3 Dodge, +3 IP

That's wrong, yeah? I've been only increasing the IPs, but the only justification I can come up with for that reading is that +6 Reaction is "stupid". Anybody got a better rationale?

Pretty sure most IP enhancing mechanisms give +2 reaction per level.
svenftw
QUOTE (Mordinvan @ Mar 4 2010, 03:15 PM) *

No, just the Move By Wire system. The rest of them grant +1 Reaction per level.

It's why Move By Wire costs a lot more and is much harder to get.
MikeKozar
QUOTE (Mordinvan @ Mar 4 2010, 03:15 PM) *

You might be right...the description for Synaptic Booster is worded almost exactly the same. Interesting that you could combine Move-By-Wire III with Reaction Enhancers III to get a +9 to Reaction...I really hate the stat caps. wink.gif
Mordinvan
QUOTE (svenftw @ Mar 4 2010, 04:19 PM) *

Well damn... ya, I guess you're right.
Summerstorm
Aye.. only Move-by-Wire is that fast.

I have a weird feeling at statcaps too... i am always a fan of diminishing returns, ah well. It just means that the highest possible reaction time is possible for somebody with 3 natural reaction (without any extras). Weird but true.
rumanchu
QUOTE (svenftw @ Mar 4 2010, 03:19 PM) *

Don't forget that MBW *also* acts as Skillwires, too.
Mordinvan
QUOTE (Summerstorm @ Mar 4 2010, 04:29 PM) *

I have a weird feeling at statcaps too... i am always a fan of diminishing returns, ah well. It just means that the highest possible reaction time is possible for somebody with 3 natural reaction (without any extras). Weird but true.

I agree with limits many stats if you're using flesh and blood, as you can only swing your arm so fast before you rip out muscles or shatter bones from the force required, but I don't think cyber limbs should have those limits if anchored to a cyber torso.
Hagga
QUOTE (Summerstorm @ Mar 4 2010, 11:29 PM) *

Exceptional attribute, metagenetic improvement and genetic optimization can assist you in getting rea and agi attributes to 12. 13, if you place all of the merits/surge bits onto one attribute. If you really want to avoid the 90k for the genetics cost, just go vampire and take metagenetic improvement from SURGE and exceptional attribute and both rea and agi go to 13.
hobgoblin
mbw still has long term medical issues, right?
pbangarth
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Mar 4 2010, 08:17 PM) *

I think those have been worked out over the decades since it first came out. No mention of them in the text, anyway.
hobgoblin
did a bit pf digging btw. And as i suspected, cyberzombies gets increased max attributes. So basically, if you want to push into crazy territory of stats, consider a cybermantic ritual wink.gif
Faraday
Imagine a troll ghoul who got himself cyberzombied. 12 Reaction max BEFORE going zombie. Then there's the 22 body and 19 strength, rendering such a "person" not only ridiculously fast, but tougher than a bus. O_o
hobgoblin
and the further into negative he goes, the higher his stats can be smokin.gif

oh, and lets not forget the built in armor bonus...

heck, now i wonder how far a fully cyberlimbed cz can be pushed. I better rememeber to add some directives to that IMS...
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Mar 4 2010, 07:17 PM) *

It used to cause you to develop TLE-X, all mention of this appears to have been removed. I guess people just forgot that this piece or 'ware used to cause seizures that eventually lead to death.
Dikotana
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Mar 4 2010, 10:36 PM) *
I think those have been worked out over the decades since it first came out. No mention of them in the text, anyway.

The entry for TLE-x in Augmentation still mentions move-by-wire systems as a major cause, but it's all in the fluff and not in the crunch in SR4.
Faraday
QUOTE (Dikotana @ Mar 4 2010, 08:35 PM) *
The entry for TLE-x in Augmentation still mentions move-by-wire systems as a major cause, but it's all in the fluff and not in the crunch in SR4.

Could be now that it's just many (maybe not even most) people who get MBW now get serious problems and die in half a year, as opposed to *all* of them.
DWC
QUOTE (Faraday @ Mar 5 2010, 12:23 AM) *
Could be now that it's just many (maybe not even most) people who get MBW now get serious problems and die in half a year, as opposed to *all* of them.

Don't forget that genetic engineering has come far enough that all the nasty side effects of MBW can be treated fairly easily, and for less than the unit itself costs. Combine that with fifteen years of evolution for the units themselves, and the only real danger of a Move by Wire unit is the task that you've been assigned by the people who paid for it.
KCKitsune
Also, with the introduction of medical nanites, you can have your brain surgery while on the ride to your next job. smile.gif
Thanee
You can always up your natural Reaction maximum (Positive Quality and Genetech), if you feel your bonuses go to waste. wink.gif

Bye
Thanee
Neraph
Also keep in mind that the bonus to Dodge (IIRC) counts against the 1/2 skill rule. As in, you can't benefit from R3 MBW's Dodge bonus until your Dodge is 6, and it doesn't stack with other similar bonuses (IE: Adept Power Improbed [Ability], and I think the bioware skill bonus).
Sponge
QUOTE (Summerstorm @ Mar 4 2010, 06:29 PM) *

Not so weird - after all, one of the goals of body-enhancing technology is to bring peak performance to the average person, for a hefty price smile.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012