Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Moutain critters!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Skarn Ka
A call to your creativity: can you name three nasty metacritters that would likely populate an abandonned Alpine road tunnel deep under the mountains?

(yeah, that would help, thanks in advance smile.gif)
Fatum
First, of course - if you want nasty, go spirits. Wild and hostile or toxic - everything works.
That said, Shadow Crawlers, Dours (or Troglodytes) and any of the multitude of snakes and poisonous vermin like Novascorpions.
It can also be a good idea to flip through the mutants part of Running Wild, some mutated bear having a lair at the entrance or such could be cool.
Machiavelli
I think embracers could be alpine (but i also think only near volcanos???)
SleepIncarnate
Devilrats can be found just about anywhere, just like normal rats.
hobgoblin
alpine section of running wild may be useful.
Daylen
dwarfs! anywhere rats go dwarfs will follow; just like the indians followed the bison.
Dahrken
QUOTE (Fatum @ Mar 6 2010, 11:42 PM) *
and any of the multitude of snakes and poisonous vermin like Novascorpions.

An abandonned tunnel is likely to be too cold for snakes or scorpions.
knasser
Ice Draka, definitely. Wyverns potentiallty (v. scary in a snow storm). If you want spirits, then wild mountain spirits are a definite option. Check out the Gan (Primordial Earth spirits in Running Wild) for something that could be very creepy if the players didn't know what it was and you never referred to it as ("the spirit"). Also, trolls in big "Kenny" style coats (do you call those things parkas in the US?). Sasquatch are practically a cliche. Bandersnatch would scare your players silly. Depending on whereabouts you are (this actually is the alps?), then there could be Lesser Roc nesting nearby. A lone Oracle Owl with snowy plumage would add a lovely detail to the setting if you want something that wont eat the players.

Remember that the environment itself can be against you in the alps and a snowstorm or being blocked in and starving, could make critters that the players wouldn't think twice about normally, horribly deadly. Fenris wolves. Nothing quite like hearing them howling somewhere close when you're trudging at 2 miles per hour through rough terrain or your 4x4 is grinding through pot-holes and ditches where you can't even see more than five yards ahead of yourselves at night.

But trolls in parkas are my best recommendation. I'm really serious. They would look awesome and with those long strides and great reach, they'd move through mountainous terrain with shocking ease. Ever since I started GMing Shadowrun, I've wanted my players to be eaten by a troll living under a bridge.

K.
Daylen
QUOTE (knasser @ Mar 7 2010, 05:31 PM) *
Ever since I started GMing Shadowrun, I've wanted my players to be eaten by a troll living under a bridge.

K.

the only thing that makes me want to play a troll is the thought of meeting the other players by eating one of them or an npc in the party smile.gif
Fatum
I am a troll, and I find this discussion racist. D:
Daylen
racist? we havent even gotten to: troll hunting, who is the best taxidermists for mounting trolls, and what the best troll recipie is. I think its troll bisque.
SleepIncarnate
QUOTE (Daylen @ Mar 7 2010, 06:57 PM) *
mounting trolls

Now we're getting into very distinctly not PG-13 rated discussions.
Daylen
QUOTE (SleepIncarnate @ Mar 8 2010, 01:14 AM) *
Now we're getting into very distinctly not PG-13 rated discussions.

your mind is in the gutter I think.
it could just be a Master/Blaster setup and beyond the thunderdome is PG 13.
Method
Goblins lead by a Goblin Rat Shaman with Control Pack [Devil Rats] and a few mountain spirits...
Wuerfelwerfer
QUOTE (Fatum @ Mar 8 2010, 01:19 AM) *
I am a troll, and I find this discussion racist. D:

What he says. Depict Trolls as dumb cannibals and I'll bash and eat you! biggrin.gif
knasser
QUOTE (Daylen @ Mar 7 2010, 11:26 PM) *
the only thing that makes me want to play a troll is the thought of meeting the other players by eating one of them or an npc in the party smile.gif

That's close enough for me - welcome to my game. biggrin.gif
Bull
QUOTE (Wuerfelwerfer @ Mar 8 2010, 05:09 AM) *
What he says. Depict Trolls as dumb cannibals and I'll bash and eat you! biggrin.gif

Hey, go read the first edition description of Trolls. It very specifically says they live living in dark places, underground and under bridges. smile.gif

It's pretty wierd, and really funny. smile.gif
Bearclaw
QUOTE (Method @ Mar 7 2010, 08:00 PM) *
Goblins lead by a Goblin Rat Shaman with Control Pack [Devil Rats] and a few mountain spirits...

Add a different subsystem with some Orcs hiding from the law, and another with a toxic shaman and his followers and you've got the caves of chaos, SR version.
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Daylen @ Mar 7 2010, 12:46 PM) *
dwarfs! anywhere rats go dwarfs will follow; just like the indians followed the bison.

It made me laugh a lot, but I gotta ask on what anecdotal/scientific observation you base your statement?
Mantis
Gully Dwarves in Dragonlance followed and ate rats all the time. Usually had one in a pouch or on their string belts. Now we are all gonna get cancer from bringing this up. Thanks a lot. mad.gif I'm sure there are other dwarf/rat archetypes floating around based on this though.
I always like hibernating piasma in caves. Scary fast grizzly bears with big huge gnashing teeth and quick reflexes. Scary. My players are still worried about running into one of those after 15 years. Heh. biggrin.gif

Oh yea, I only know about gully dwarfs cuz...ummm ... a passing Ork told me. I'd never play such a game...Oh wait no, it was cuz I needed something to do while waiting for SR1 to made....yea that's it.
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Mantis @ Mar 8 2010, 06:04 PM) *
Gully Dwarves in Dragonlance followed and ate rats all the time. Usually had one in a pouch or on their string belts. Now we are all gonna get cancer from bringing this up. Thanks a lot. mad.gif I'm sure there are other dwarf/rat archetypes floating around based on this though.

LOL! Forgot about them. "Two, no more than two!" rotfl.gif
Daylen
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Mar 8 2010, 09:38 PM) *
It made me laugh a lot, but I gotta ask on what anecdotal/scientific observation you base your statement?

kinda a mix dragonlance as said above and a little bit of Nac Mac Feegle (yea I know they arent dwarfs) from discworld.
Wuerfelwerfer
The dwarves from Discworld eat rats with katchup alot. In Ankh-Morporkh they're pest control and restaurant rolled into one. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012