Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Customizing armor?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kazuhiro
My character uses a stealth suit, and for various reasons I'd like to make it special, i.e. something cooler than just the Chameleon Suit out of the book. But there aren't many options for putting cool gizmos on a suit. How shall I get this done?

As a related question, what's the auto-injector upgrade good for when there are very few chemicals I actually *want* injected into me?
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Kazuhiro @ Mar 8 2010, 08:52 AM) *
My character uses a stealth suit, and for various reasons I'd like to make it special, i.e. something cooler than just the Chameleon Suit out of the book. But there aren't many options for putting cool gizmos on a suit. How shall I get this done?

As a related question, what's the auto-injector upgrade good for when there are very few chemicals I actually *want* injected into me?

For customization I'd check out Arsenal.

Auto-injector is of course useless if you don't want to be injected with anything. Some people like combat drugs and Stims though.
Kazuhiro
But that's just it, neither Arsenal nor the core book have cool gizmos to put on a stealth suit- they're limited to milspec armor. I want an integrated directional jammer and gecko gloves, a hidden compartment, a flashlight, etc.
Karoline
Well, you can put the ruthmer coating on any armor you want for 7500, and arsenal has some non-milspec things you can put on your armor. As for mundane stuff like you're talking about, I don't think it is really an issue. You just pay the price for gecko gloves and have the hands of your stealth armor of choice replaced with them, or you know, just wear gecko gloves. Hidden compartment? Okay, it's called a pocket, enjoy. I'd imagine the directional jammer might be a bit large to integrate into most armor, but feel free to ask your GM about this. As for the flashlight, depends on where you want it, likely wouldn't be hard.

Most of the stuff is going to be 'ask your GM' and is going to be fairly minimal returns for the effort of integrating them directly into your armor.
Saint Sithney
If you're using a stealth suit, then it pretty much implies that you've got something covering your head. I'd look at something like the Bunker Helmet as an example of things to toss into your gear. e.g. orientation system/GPS, laser range finders and other sensor/vision/audio systems. I know the current xml character creation spread sheet has a directional jammer as a modification for helmets as well as other electronics mods.
Udoshi
Chameleon suits? Not moddable? Say it isn't so.

There are a few ways to handle modding armor. Stock rules assume you can slap whatever you like on anything you like. Chemical protection and nonconducitivity? Ace. Then there are two optional rules in arsenal, depending on your GM. The first limits armor to a number of rating points = 1.5 times highest armor value, with unrated mods taking 1 each. So for the chameleon suit, that's 6x1.5=9 points total. Not bad. The other one assigns Capacity to certain heavier armors, jumpsuits, and helmets. Its kind of restrictive.

Thermal Dampening 6 for 3000NY/10F at least, out of the main book. Check arsenal 44 for more ideas.

Personally, I'd go with mods for pockets, perhaps a holster built into one. After all, if you're wearing a stealthsuit, you don't want your tools appearing to float around midair.

Skinlinks are good too. You don't want your stealthsuit to be broadcasting a wireless signal, right? So skinlink it up. Adapters are cheap(50) enough to ask your GM to get them on lifestyle.

A motion sensor is a seriously useful addition. They use ultrasound to spot movement(sr4a 261), but aren't full blown 3d ultrasound sensors. What it does let you do is pick up on other ultrasound sensors in Active mode - so you know how to avoid them.

Gecko grip gloves worked into the armor would be useful as well.

Laserlinks could potentially be useful. If you are your friends are using them, then having one on the outside of your loadout(where they work) is handy. They're also cheap(rating x 25)

If you have any room left over after that, stick a commlink in it. Make sure it has a decent firewall, a high Analyze(optimized 3 if necessary), a decent stealth program, and run it in hidden mode. Don't put anything on it, or even connect it to anything(not even the suit!). Set it to blink a red dot on the inside of the suit's helmet if it detects an intruder. If someone wifi scans you, and finds a hidden node, they have to decide what to hack(if you have more than 1 - say, like, a smartlink). Meanwhile, there rest of your stuff is safely on skinlinks and off that network, and you have a handy warning if someone tries to break into your 'link.

Autoinjectors? Not bad. Put a trauma patch(500) in there. Oxyrush nanoware 1(1000) for when you're suffocating. Maybe a savior nanomedical kit(2000), because it can save your life on its own, has two doses, and its resupply costs as much as a trauma patch. Ditto stimpatch 6(150). also a biomonitor, if you don't already have one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012