Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Optical Computing in SR
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ethikaia
Intel Says Chip Speed Breakthrough Will Alter Cyberworld

Is shadowrun closer than we think? Sorry if this is not a game subject, but I found it to hard to resist.
Solkari
I wouldn't say its closer than we think. For one thing, in my copy of SR3 on one of the tables in "And So it Came to Pass..." it says that the first optical chip was produced in 2003, and someone (can't remember who) made on last year. Also, even though they can be produced, it will be some time (maybe 25 years wink.gif wink.gif ) before they become mainstream technology. After all, they need to refine the production, make optical motherboards, optical memory, and make all the components and peripherals optronic (I prefer that word to "photonic") before we get to the pure optical computers of SR. ASIST would also help considerably (but we're close on that too).
Aristotle
QUOTE (ethikaia)
Sorry if this is not a game subject, but I found it to hard to resist.

Comparing Shadowrun level tech to current day tech is a valid enough topic. I know I like to see where we stand, and in some cases adjust my Shadowrun campaign to compensate for what we are doing out here in the real world.

It feels like more of a Shadowrun topic than a general game topic, so I'll move it to the appropriate forum.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012