Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: For those who need Bigger Guns...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
TheWanderingJewels

The Thunder .50 BMG handgun
http://airbornecombatengineer.typepad.com/...hunder_50_.html

The Maadi-Griffin .50 BMG handgun
http://airbornecombatengineer.typepad.com/...aadi_griff.html
TheWanderingJewels
and from Smith and Wesson

http://robertsteely.blogtownhall.com/2008/...sw_magnum.thtml
Squinky
Heh, that first gun is pretty awesome smile.gif
Mantis
Those BMGs are just ... crazy? Silly? You really would need to be a troll to use one effectively. The S&W sort of makes me think of the Ruger Super Warhawk. Big bang but can't be fired very fast due to recoil. I'm guessing this hand cannon is bigger than the Warhawk in SR though.
Cergorach
That gun reminds me of an anime that follows a big guy that faces off against tanks with a big ass handgun, I don't remember the name of the anime series.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Mantis @ Mar 25 2010, 02:54 PM) *
Those BMGs are just ... crazy? Silly? You really would need to be a troll to use one effectively. The S&W sort of makes me think of the Ruger Super Warhawk. Big bang but can't be fired very fast due to recoil. I'm guessing this hand cannon is bigger than the Warhawk in SR though.

The SW 500 is a beast when you factor in weighing about 5ibs unladen. My pops owns one and let me tell you... it's not for the faint of heart. Probably having sporting rifle damage with heavy pistols ranges (and the requirement of 2 hands to fire it SA, 1 hand would give a penalty (weight) unless you have amazing STR and would be SS due to the recoil, regardless of other mods)
Daylen
wow, that's such... a waste... I sure hope their fun enough to compensate at least some.
AngelisStorm
"Short barrelled" hunting rifle, take the normal penalty if you choose to fire it one handed? (No dual wielding.)

Speaking of random big (small) guns: does anyone know why in Arsenal the short barrelled shotguns use heavy pistol ranges for slugs, and taser ranges for flachette? The pistol shotgun from the core book uses the same ranges for both. (And one short barrelled Arsenal shotgun gets to keep it's 7P damage code, while the other one gets reduced to 5P, same as the core book's pistol shotgun.)

Seems kinda arbitrary. You get to keep using the Longarm skill, but you're also taking penalties if you fire it one handed (and no dual wielding). All for less range (and in one case, the same damage.) Just curious if anyone had any reasoning for the madness.
Headshot_Joe
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Mar 25 2010, 03:23 PM) *
Probably having sporting rifle damage with heavy pistols ranges (and the requirement of 2 hands to fire it SA, 1 hand would give a penalty (weight) unless you have amazing STR and would be SS due to the recoil, regardless of other mods)

Sporting rifle damage at least. .50BMG is pretty big...it's HMG/HCSR ammo, and would probably retain much of that level of damage. I'm thinking somewhere between 8P-10P damage (.50BMG could easily be assault cannon ammo), with range modifiers set to the same level as SMG or Shotguns firing slugs, because it is still a rifle round, and has superior ballistics to your typical pistol rounds, and should have further reach. As a penalty, however, due to the breach-loading mechanism, it probably couldn't have it's firing mode modified past SS...but you could make it multi-barrel, with each barrel having it's own breach loading mechanism... It would end up taking forever and Christmas to reload, but you could bring down something big with it before there'd be need to do that.
Summerstorm
Hm... don't they make the .600 Nitro Express and even an experimental .700 nitro express? I read that the .600 is the most powerful handgun (in raw power per shot and transfered energy) that is available to the public. One round is 40 american dollars, i think *g*. Eichiro Hatamoto... with clip. And they make a Thompson contender which can hold it too, yes?

There are at least two videos on youtube of people who get the gun recoiled into their faces... But you just have to add mass to the gun and that won't be a problem, i saw another one with such a gun and they said it had maybe just 3/4 of the recoil of a .44 magnum because of the sheer weight. And a troll can cope much better with its unhuman strenght and mass. Personally i wouldn't really blinking if a troll could shoot some 20mm magnum "gangsta-style" out of a handgun.

Edit.. ah just to lighten the mood:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_XX2lIT1tQ...feature=related
And in reality:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im3Hg7Zu-eA&NR=1

So... there is a limit to what you SHOULD let them shoot...
Mantis
Ok that is even stupider than the BMG pistols. Leave it up to the US army to make something as dangerous to its users as the targets. The Cold War lead to some amazingly silly plans for dealing with the Red Threat. It reminds me of the Fatboy launchers from Fall Out 3. Probably the inspiration for the weapon in the game.
Dr.Rockso
QUOTE (Mantis @ Mar 26 2010, 09:38 AM) *
Ok that is even stupider than the BMG pistols. Leave it up to the US army to make something as dangerous to its users as the targets. The Cold War lead to some amazingly silly plans for dealing with the Red Threat. It reminds me of the Fatboy launchers from Fall Out 3. Probably the inspiration for the weapon in the game.

No, that would likely be the Davy-Crocket handheld nuke rpg grinbig.gif It's a miracle if you can escape the blast radius without a lethal dose of rads, from what I hear.

EDIT: Durr, my point now seems irrelevant after viewing the second video. Gotta learn to click links frown.gif
AngelisStorm
Silly military. Just make the warhead smaller. What, -only- the size of the Oklahoma blast isn't good enough?
Daylen
QUOTE (AngelisStorm @ Mar 27 2010, 01:30 AM) *
Silly military. Just make the warhead smaller. What, -only- the size of the Oklahoma blast isn't good enough?

wellll... since you mentioned it. Think back to just after the second Iraq war. Remember "Bunker Buster" bombs being the talk for a bit. that was smaller warheads. Bush wanted to spend some cash on figuring out how to make smaller nukes, which is nontrivial. Seems some people were very opposed to this though.
Dumori
IIRC the Davy-Croket was planed to be used to fire to cover a retreat hopefully meaning the crew had run away by the time the fall out hit.
Mongoose
Pfeifer-Zeliska .600 Nitro Express. I think the .600 Nitro technically less powerful than the .50 BMG, but this gun is a 5 shot revolver that shoots rounds designed for killing angry elephants. Like the other pistols, its essentially a joke of a gun; the cartridge was uncomfortably powerful even in a hunting rifle.
Squinky
Troll gun all the way there.
Mantis
Off topic but just how old is that site you linked to Mongoose? A 56k modem version? Really?
Daylen
QUOTE (Mongoose @ Mar 27 2010, 04:25 AM) *
Pfeifer-Zeliska .600 Nitro Express. I think the .600 Nitro technically less powerful than the .50 BMG, but this gun is a 5 shot revolver that shoots rounds designed for killing angry elephants. Like the other pistols, its essentially a joke of a gun; the cartridge was uncomfortably powerful even in a hunting rifle.

Overkilling elephants and cape buffalo.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012