Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jackpoint / ShadowSEA / Shadowland
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Aria
Morning all,

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that Shadowland went down in the Crash 2.0 and I'm guessing that Jackpoint is its natural successor...or should that be ShadowSEA which I've seen mention of somewhere? The Nexus is still up and running as a seperate entity right?!?

As an aside, has anyone got some contact ratings for Jackpoint or similar (Connection / Loyalty / Group Rating) ? Or do you handle it in a different way, subscription payments?

Thanks!

A

ps. I'm sure the info is already available somewhere in the forums but I still haven't go the hang of the search here...time to go and read the help files again ohplease.gif
Bull
QUOTE (Aria @ Mar 17 2010, 05:02 AM) *
Morning all,

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that Shadowland went down in the Crash 2.0 and I'm guessing that Jackpoint is its natural successor...or should that be ShadowSEA which I've seen mention of somewhere? The Nexus is still up and running as a seperate entity right?!?

Jackpoint is Shadowland's technical successor, in that it's our "In game viewpoint". Jackpoint is very selective and was built and is operated by Fastjack. It's very selective about who joins, with membership given out by Jack himself, I believe. It has a small, specific roster (Around 80 or so members, I think, maybe a few less), with the occasional "Guest Posters" that are invited in for specific projects.

ShadowSEA is the Seattle specific Shadowrun node. It's a lot more open, and accessible to pretty much anyone who knows it's there. It's not really talked about too much, but with the way Matrix Accessibility was opened up to anyone with a little skill and an off the shelf program, I assume that ShadowSEA is probably nearly useless. It has a LOT of information, but there are so many users posting so much drek that it's damned near impossible to find anything. It's like going to the official World of Warcraft or WotC's Dungeons & Dragons boards. There's a lot of information, if you can find it. smile.gif

(To be fair, that's pretty much my own personal interpretation.)

Nexus is still up, but I imagine suffers the same problem, and it's more regional as well.

As an aside, has anyone got some contact ratings for Jackpoint or similar (Connection / Loyalty / Group Rating) ? Or do you handle it in a different way, subscription payments?

That's really going to be up to the GM, honestly. Most established groups don't have any real fixed ratings (See the Group Contacts stuff from Runners Companion).

With a group like Jackpoint, I'd say both Connection and Loyalty are fluid. You can start small 1/1, and build up to better ratings on both scales. Loyalty is always fluid, and depends on what the runner does. Connection, in this case, would represent how many folks on there know you and are willing to work with you. The longer you're there, and the more active and reliable you are, the more members of Jackpoint are going to be willing to listen to you and help you out.

Bull
Aria
Thanks Bull,

I think with the PBP game I'm trying to get going it wouldn't be out of the question for the players to have access to Jackpoint at a low level, even if it's via one of their contacts. If they are 'good' they might even get an invite from Fastjack himself...otherwise they'll just have to get their agents trawling through ShadowSEA for those elusive nugetts of useful data.

A
Brazilian_Shinobi
I would say that shadowSEA looks a lot like 4chan.
Just my 2 nuyen.gif

QUOTE (Bull @ Mar 17 2010, 06:23 AM) *
With a group like Jackpoint, I'd say both Connection and Loyalty are fluid. You can start small 1/1, and build up to better ratings on both scales. Loyalty is always fluid, and depends on what the runner does. Connection, in this case, would represent how many folks on there know you and are willing to work with you. The longer you're there, and the more active and reliable you are, the more members of Jackpoint are going to be willing to listen to you and help you out.

Bull

Unless of course you are a TM, in this case Clockwork will try to end you.
Fatum
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Mar 17 2010, 05:09 PM) *
I would say that shadowSEA looks a lot like 4chan.
Just my 2 nuyen.gif

Except ShadowSEA is non-anonymous invitation-only closed forum, not an anonymous free-for-all imageboard. Otherwise, yeah, they are pretty similar, despite not being alike at all.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Aria @ Mar 17 2010, 10:02 AM) *
The Nexus is still up and running as a seperate entity right?!?

It did, and was seperated from the Matrix timely enough to retain it's database, including the last shadowland uploads.
Bull
QUOTE (Fatum @ Mar 18 2010, 06:44 AM) *
Except ShadowSEA is non-anonymous invitation-only closed forum, not an anonymous free-for-all imageboard. Otherwise, yeah, they are pretty similar, despite not being alike at all.

Eh, not really. It's listed as a "Virtual Private Network", but that doesn't really mean much on the Matrix.

Both Runners Companion and Seattle 2072 talk about the sheer volume of information on ShadowSEA and how many users there are as well. And Runners Companion talks about people uploading tons of information to try and boost their rep.

No, it's not quite on the level of 4Chan, but... It's a very public "private" node, and pretty much anyone who knows about it and wants on can get on.

Bull
Rotbart van Dainig
It's a really great way to keep multiple fake personas around to get hired for odd jobs without tainting your regular reputation, tough.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012