Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Next Cataclysmic Event?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Khyron
So I open up my fresh PDF of Vice when I notice in Jackpoint news, Top News Items
* In a press conference today, a spokesperson formally confirmed the Corporate Court’s long-rumored
project to develop a space elevator, or specifically a so-called “sky hook”. Speculation is rife about
the Earth-based anchor point, but Ariana Smith, the CC spokesperson, also confirmed that the
operation to introduce a counterweight asteroid into Earth orbit has already been launched and
should be finalized sometime next year.

So is this a subtle hint of the next cataclysmic event to hit the sixth world? Asteroid shenanigans?

Opinions?
How would runners plan for an asteroid strike?
Who's safe?
Maybe it'll land on Aztlan. biggrin.gif
hobgoblin
astroids, thor shots, bovine, same diff, no? Something drops, runners (and anyone within a certain radius of said runners) die.
Daylen
yea the asteroid will come down not too long after the space elevator goes into use. And thats the best case scenario where there are zero screwups and everything works perfectly.
Caadium
A former private-contractor claims that accounting errors have led to corner cutting that will result in the entire elevator crashing back to the earth. Widespread panic ensues, and a publishing house takes the opportunity to generate some funds through a recreation of the old War of the Worlds radio show; this time based out of the asteroid belt. Unfortunatley, the only way to know for sure what is going on is to get on the elevator and go along for the ride. Sit back and buckle your seat-belt kiddies!

---------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Too soon? Too soon?
Doc Byte
QUOTE (Khyron @ Mar 19 2010, 12:25 AM) *
So is this a subtle hint of the next cataclysmic event to hit the sixth world?

Perhaps Shadowrun simply goes seriously to space. Would be about time even for a near future SiFi setting. Asteroid mining's big business.
Fatum
QUOTE (Doc Byte @ Mar 19 2010, 03:14 AM) *
Perhaps Shadowrun simply goes seriously to space. Would be about time even for a near future SiFi setting. Asteroid mining's big business.

Ahem. Eclipse Phase. Ahem.
Doc Byte
QUOTE (Fatum @ Mar 19 2010, 02:05 AM) *
Ahem. Eclipse Phase. Ahem.

Waiting for Equinox.
Cheops
Weren't they talking about a space elevator as far back as Year of the Comet and Wake of the Comet? Or am I confusing that with a mass driver that may have been installed in Kilimanjaro? I'm pretty sure I saw references to space elevators in SR before the current edition.
AndyZ
My prediction: the truly rich with Luxury lifestyles can live in outer space. Most folks won't be. Maybe the occasional 'run will be sent into space though.
X-Kalibur
My guess? Humanoid robots powered by light descend and begin stopping wars.
KCKitsune
Until they come up with a way for Magic to work in space then any run in space will have the Magical characters using a second character. Kinda disheartening when you really want to advance your character and you can't because all of short term runs are in Space.
Moonhawk
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Mar 19 2010, 04:21 PM) *
Until they come up with a way for Magic to work in space then any run in space will have the Magical characters using a second character. Kinda disheartening when you really want to advance your character and you can't because all of short term runs are in Space.

Who knows? Maybe actually tethering the beanstalk to good ol' Terra Firma will allow the magical aura to expand beyond the current limits.
I can't imagine that you'd be able to stray much from the terminal point (terminal rock?), but it could open near-earth orbit to those of the magely persuasion.

-Moonhawk
Draco18s
QUOTE (Daylen @ Mar 18 2010, 06:36 PM) *
yea the asteroid will come down not too long after the space elevator goes into use. And thats the best case scenario where there are zero screwups and everything works perfectly.

http://xkcd.com/697/
Daylen
as far as a setting I'd like to see more space stuff. not sure I'd want to see the sillyness of a space elevator though. Asteroid mining could be cool. I think I draw the line though where players could hop a ride to space grab a shuttle over to the run spend some time there finish up get paid grab a connection back to planet side and still catch the night time news of the same day. Maybe in a different setting.
Doc Byte
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Mar 19 2010, 09:58 PM) *
My guess? Humanoid robots powered by light descend and begin stopping wars.

By wiping mankind out. rotate.gif
Daylen
QUOTE (Doc Byte @ Mar 20 2010, 12:13 AM) *
By wiping mankind out. rotate.gif

or selling us to something like Dagon two galaxies over for a tasty snack.
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Methinks the Mt. Killimanjaro spirits would see this as an opportunity for revenge..! vegm.gif
Stahlseele
I say stop the moon from spinning and tether it to the earth.
Bingo, instant moonstation/travel and on the outer side you could catch meteorites and use it as a shield for earth.

You want maths to go with the SE Idea?
Go here and read. I swear these people have way too much time . .
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/in...p?topic=64491.0
Doc Byte
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Mar 20 2010, 03:08 AM) *
Bingo, instant moonstation/travel and on the outer side you could catch meteorites and use it as a shield for earth.

Man we need a really big Ghostdance.
Daylen
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Mar 20 2010, 02:08 AM) *

that's the freshman physics answer. a better answer I'll look for next week at the office. The conclusion I remember well though; lifting stuff up the gravity well will destabilize the setup because the forces are not only in the up direction.

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Mar 20 2010, 02:08 AM) *

and have the moon come crashing down to the earth assuming the tether didnt break?
Fatum
QUOTE (AndyZ @ Mar 19 2010, 11:42 PM) *
My prediction: the truly rich with Luxury lifestyles can live in outer space. Most folks won't be. Maybe the occasional 'run will be sent into space though.

There is a multitude of habitats, including luxurious ones, up the well already.

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Mar 20 2010, 12:21 AM) *

Remember that fluff story about Ares magicians about to dive into the Hive? They had magic in space thanks to the greenhouses on the station, I believe.

QUOTE (Daylen @ Mar 20 2010, 02:31 AM) *
not sure I'd want to see the sillyness of a space elevator though.

Space elevators are a valid project, there's no reason they wouldn't be possible in 60 years.
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (Fatum @ Mar 20 2010, 12:57 AM) *
Remember that fluff story about Ares magicians about to dive into the Hive? They had magic in space thanks to the greenhouses on the station, I believe.

Yeah, magic in space is possible, but it is still pretty limited to carefully cultivated areas.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Daylen @ Mar 20 2010, 03:33 AM) *
that's the freshman physics answer. a better answer I'll look for next week at the office. The conclusion I remember well though; lifting stuff up the gravity well will destabilize the setup because the forces are not only in the up direction.

and have the moon come crashing down to the earth assuming the tether didnt break?

i know that.
read the complete thread, there's people rebuking these claims all the time.
Daylen
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Mar 20 2010, 02:34 PM) *
i know that.
read the complete thread, there's people rebuking these claims all the time.

ok I should have read further, its not a freshman physics answer. Heck that is more in depth than what I've seen out of the govt offices for a space elevator. I still don't think its viable, but any further argument on my part will have to wait for me to find some time or excuse next week at work to run some simulations.
Stahlseele
Well, they ARE on the Battletech Board.
Space and this stuff is what Battletech DOES ^^
Grinder
QUOTE (Doc Byte @ Mar 19 2010, 02:48 AM) *
Waiting for Equinox.

Equinox is not a "near-future" space setting: it's set in the 8th World, which is a few thousand years in the future.
Stahlseele
7500 years or how much is one cycle?
Doc Byte
QUOTE (Grinder @ Mar 20 2010, 08:31 PM) *
Equinox is not a "near-future" space setting: it's set in the 8th World, which is a few thousand years in the future.

That's exactly the reason why I'm waiting for Equinox and don't play Eclipse Phase.
Grinder
Ah, I see. smile.gif
Doc Byte
I was just saying that SR is a near future SiFi setting that could use some more SiFi elements.
Daylen
QUOTE (Doc Byte @ Mar 20 2010, 09:04 PM) *
I was just saying that SR is a near future SiFi setting that could use some more SiFi elements.

Aye. near future elements though. seems anytime a discussion of space tech happens someone wants star trek.

I'd be happy with the tech corps are using to go to Mars and such. Just could use some missions or fluff about it and maybe an inclusion in a rigger book with rules for craft able to make orbital transfers.
Doc Byte
QUOTE (Daylen @ Mar 20 2010, 09:53 PM) *
Aye. near future elements though. seems anytime a discussion of space tech happens someone wants star trek.

I'd be happy with the tech corps are using to go to Mars and such. Just could use some missions or fluff about it and maybe an inclusion in a rigger book with rules for craft able to make orbital transfers.

Did you read Ben Bova's great Grand Tour novels? That's what I'd love to see in SR.
Daylen
QUOTE (Doc Byte @ Mar 20 2010, 09:46 PM) *
Did you read Ben Bova's great Grand Tour novels? That's what I'd love to see in SR.

no I have not. I think I read something of his though. I might pick up one of his tonight though. for examples of the tech and such I usually think back to Heinlein's work through the 50's. Also some of Niven's work is cool but a little too far in the future for SR.
Doc Byte
Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy would work fine for SR, too. Good old Hard SiFi. Just put some serious Mars colonization, a handful of lunar cities and some asteroid mining into the SR setting, that's all I'd like to see. Maybe some fast propulsion technology. No artificial gravity, anti-grav engines or stuff like deflector shields.
Daylen
I bought that trilogy and read as much of it as I could take long ago. good on many fronts but yikes he got boring after red mars. I did like parts where they kept knocking the space elevators out the sky. but overall yea that would be cool in SR, not sure how fast you mean by fast propulsion tech though. I kinda like slower propulsion to help space actions seem far away and not just a simple commute out. fast or slow matters little for the pace of how a game would go, it would just mean more time goes by between what the players are doing. It also means the players are far from help and far from outside influence which I think is part of the allure.
Doc Byte
QUOTE (Daylen @ Mar 22 2010, 02:00 AM) *
I bought that trilogy and read as much of it as I could take long ago. good on many fronts but yikes he got boring after red mars.

Yes, 2.500 pages in my German edition... I know what you're taking about. But after the last page I missed the protagonists as if they were old friends.

QUOTE (Daylen @ Mar 22 2010, 02:00 AM) *
not sure how fast you mean by fast propulsion tech though.

Well, a few days over to Mars and maybe two or three weeks to Jupiter and Saturn. (One-way of course.)
Fatum
QUOTE (Doc Byte @ Mar 22 2010, 04:36 AM) *
Well, a few days over to Mars and maybe two or three weeks to Jupiter and Saturn. (One-way of course.)

Wow, that's some fine pulp you'll be bringing with that kind of accelerations.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012