Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How can I augment my AI's capabilities?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Toxic Summon
I need to figure out how to improve my player character AI's skills, particularly its cracking and electronics skill groups, which are at four. I'm going to be the group's matrix support, so I need some ways to add modifiers to these. I know there are ways to up its initiative passes, but that's all I know. Thanks in advance!
Fatum
Well, when we were going with an AI character, we just said that the node he resided in could be upgraded, and plugged the IP-boosting upgrade and implant in it.
It was pure GM's good will, of course.
rumanchu
QUOTE (Toxic Summon @ Mar 22 2010, 10:59 PM) *
I need to figure out how to improve my player character AI's skills, particularly its cracking and electronics skill groups, which are at four. I'm going to be the group's matrix support, so I need some ways to add modifiers to these. I know there are ways to up its initiative passes, but that's all I know. Thanks in advance!

For starters, AIs earn and spend Karma just like anyone else, so you can increase your skills in "the normal fashion".

As far as something like using Skillwires, you can't. (Well, *technically* an AI with the 10-point Pilot Origin quality can load Profession Autosofts, which are sorta the same as a skillsoft, but those (like Activesofts) are limited to a maximum rating of 4 -- so that doesn't help you).
Emy
Autosofts can't use the Personalized option either.
rumanchu
QUOTE (Emy @ Mar 23 2010, 10:01 AM) *
Autosofts can't use the Personalized option either.

True.
Toxic Summon
QUOTE (rumanchu @ Mar 23 2010, 10:37 AM) *
For starters, AIs earn and spend Karma just like anyone else, so you can increase your skills in "the normal fashion".

As far as something like using Skillwires, you can't. (Well, *technically* an AI with the 10-point Pilot Origin quality can load Profession Autosofts, which are sorta the same as a skillsoft, but those (like Activesofts) are limited to a maximum rating of 4 -- so that doesn't help you).

Actually, my character is going to make a metahuman biodrone--that's the plan, at least. However, I'm not starting out with it. What I'm going to do is start collecting DNA samples from the PCs and enemy NPCs that seem to have good physical stats, then I'll clone their body, put in biodrone stirrup interface, do some biosculpting to make it unrecognizable, and BAM! I have a physical body.However, that will take lots of money, so I'll have to wait for it. Also, I don't know if my GM will give me the same stats in the new body, and I'm not going to ask preemptively to find out.
Right now I'm just trying to find ways to boost its hacking abilities. Getting a place with feng shui might help, except that I'd have to do all my hacking remotely, which just won't happen. My GM will probably not allow that when I need it the most. I know there have to be better ways. Anyone?
Saint Sithney
Buy better programs?
The Jake
Clustering commlinks is a good cheap way of getting a beefy home node. The AI in my campaign has now clustered 3 of them (all Rating 6s across the board) and got a mighty fine home node.

He's also running multiple Agents with Ergonomic options which helps too.

Basicallly he gets the agents to do stuff while he acts as overwatch. One for hacking, one for combat the other for searching IIRC.

Drone bodies definitely help an AI.

No way by RAW to up the AI's initiative passes. You could argue that if you get access to a UV host that it warrants it, but that is a stretch and subject to GM interpretation.

- J.
Fatum
QUOTE (The Jake @ Mar 24 2010, 03:53 AM) *
Clustering commlinks is a good cheap way of getting a beefy home node. The AI in my campaign has now clustered 3 of them (all Rating 6s across the board) and got a mighty fine home node.

I've calculated the costs, and a nexus is better buy than a cluster.
Udoshi
The easiest way to get bonus dice is to convince your GM that your AI should get the +2 hotsim bonus

Fluffwise, its not that much of a stretch for an AI, who can use knowsofts, which use the same simsense channels regular users have, to install some simsense gear in their home node - or even a simsense accelerator commlink mod for that extra pass.
Toxic Summon
QUOTE (Fatum @ Mar 23 2010, 08:36 PM) *

Where does it talk about clustering commlinks? Unwired or what? BTW, my original thought was to start out with a walking nexus drone. The problem is this risk of getting owned in it.
DWC
QUOTE (Toxic Summon @ Mar 24 2010, 04:54 PM) *
Where does it talk about clustering commlinks? Unwired or what? BTW, my original thought was to start out with a walking nexus drone. The problem is this risk of getting owned in it.

Clustering commlinks was introduced in Unwired. The upside is your processor limit goes up very quickly while your node remains portable. Nexi might be cheaper, but everything written about their size indicates that you can't put one in a cyberarm, while 3 or 4 Response 6 commlinks will fit in a replacement limb easily.
The Jake
QUOTE (Fatum @ Mar 24 2010, 03:36 AM) *

I had a player buy one fully maxed out rating 6 commlink. The others were "acquired" in game through various circumstances. smile.gif

My player may still buy one but I'm still trying to work out how large a nexus is. The player in question has an anthroform drone body and is looking at physically embedding his home node into the body (or at least, making it a removable plugin). Can a nexus be installed in a drone or are they the 21st century equivalent of a server? That is my take on it - so a nexus wouldn't necessarily be all that portable.

QUOTE (DWC @ Mar 24 2010, 10:05 PM) *
Clustering commlinks was introduced in Unwired. The upside is your processor limit goes up very quickly while your node remains portable. Nexi might be cheaper, but everything written about their size indicates that you can't put one in a cyberarm, while 3 or 4 Response 6 commlinks will fit in a replacement limb easily.

That is my rationale.

- J.
The Jake
QUOTE (rumanchu @ Mar 23 2010, 05:37 PM) *

AIs cannot use ActiveSofts period.

- J.
Fatum
QUOTE (The Jake @ Mar 25 2010, 04:29 AM) *
My player may still buy one but I'm still trying to work out how large a nexus is. The player in question has an anthroform drone body and is looking at physically embedding his home node into the body (or at least, making it a removable plugin). Can a nexus be installed in a drone or are they the 21st century equivalent of a server? That is my take on it - so a nexus wouldn't necessarily be all that portable.

Well, I believe Unwired says them to be the size of modern-day PCs or so. You could fit one on a drone, mayhaps, if the drone is a suitable large one.
Tachi
Remember that there are horizontal "deck" (as opposed to "tower") PCs the size of a laptop, only 3-4 inches thick also. Easily portable, put straps on it and wear as backpack kind of portable. Might not make a particularly powerful nexus that size, but they must exist.
Toxic Summon
QUOTE (The Jake @ Mar 24 2010, 07:39 PM) *

- J.

Where does it say that?
rumanchu
QUOTE (The Jake @ Mar 24 2010, 06:39 PM) *

- J.

I never said that they did. I said that they can (with the proper Quality) load and use a particular Drone Autosoft, which is *functionally* an ActiveSoft.

Runner's Companion, p.91: "The 10 BP version of this quality is the same, except that the AI may load and directly use all autosoft programs, using the program rating in place of its own skill."
Unwired, p.114: "Profession autosofts are the equivalent of a single Technical or Knowledge skill. It allows a drone with the proper equipment and specs (tools or working arms) to perform the task, rolling Pilot + (Profession) for the test."

Additionally, AIs with the 10 point Piloting Origin can load and use autosofts that grant them Perception (Clearsight), Gunnery (Targeting), Dodge (Defense), Electronic Warfare (Electronic Warfare), or any of the Vehicle Active Skills (Maneuver). (This list comes from SR4A, p.246)

You are correct, though, that they cannot load and use ActiveSofts.
rumanchu
QUOTE (Toxic Summon @ Mar 25 2010, 12:31 PM) *
Where does it say that?

Runner's Companion, p.89: "AIs may only load and directly use Common Use, Hacking, Knowsoft, and Agent Autosoft programs"
The Jake
QUOTE (Toxic Summon @ Mar 25 2010, 07:31 PM) *
Where does it say that?

Runners Companion.

- J.
Emy
QUOTE (rumanchu @ Mar 25 2010, 03:25 PM) *
I never said that they did. I said that they can (with the proper Quality) load and use a particular Drone Autosoft, which is *functionally* an ActiveSoft.

Runner's Companion, p.91: "The 10 BP version of this quality is the same, except that the AI may load and directly use all autosoft programs, using the program rating in place of its own skill."
Unwired, p.114: "Profession autosofts are the equivalent of a single Technical or Knowledge skill. It allows a drone with the proper equipment and specs (tools or working arms) to perform the task, rolling Pilot + (Profession) for the test."

Additionally, AIs with the 10 point Piloting Origin can load and use autosofts that grant them Perception (Clearsight), Gunnery (Targeting), Dodge (Defense), Electronic Warfare (Electronic Warfare), or any of the Vehicle Active Skills (Maneuver). (This list comes from SR4A, p.246)

You are correct, though, that they cannot load and use ActiveSofts.

Just popping in to add that Targeting autosofts also substitute for various melee skills.
rumanchu
QUOTE (Emy @ Mar 25 2010, 06:40 PM) *
Just popping in to add that Targeting autosofts also substitute for various melee skills.

Gah...I should have remembered that. I just finished running an adventure for my group that involved a drone using Targeting to attack people with a cyberspur.

Good times.
The Jake
I thought Autosofts added to Skills - i.e. when jumped in.

They only substitute when the drone is being remote controlled - at least that's my understanding.

- J.
rumanchu
QUOTE (The Jake @ Mar 27 2010, 05:55 AM) *
I thought Autosofts added to Skills - i.e. when jumped in.

They only substitute when the drone is being remote controlled - at least that's my understanding.

- J.

Unless I've missed something someplace (which is entirely possible), the only way for a non-Pilot (i.e. anything other than an Agent or Drone) to take advantage of autosofts is to be a metasapient AI; in the case of drone autosofts, the AI needs to have the appropriate Quality.

"In essence, autosofts provide drones with specific skills so that they may make the appropriate skill tests." (SR4A, p.246)

"A drone uses Pilot + Targeting for attacks." (Ibid.)

My understanding, in the case of AIs with the appropriate Piloting Origin quality, is that they can load and use -- for example -- Targeting (Gunnery) 3, which (effectively) gives the AI Gunnery 3.

Now, while there is no explicit rule stating this, it might not be entirely unreasonable for a GM to treat this use of autosofts by an AI the same as they would someone using Skillwires and deny the AI the opportunity to spend Edge on rolls made using skills granted through autosofts. I'm disinclined, personally, to limit them in this way because of two reasons:

a) the AI player has to spend 10BP to even be able to use autosofts (and those autosofts are *supposed* to be fairly drone/vehicle specific), so the autosoft use is already fairly limited
b) AIs are creatures of software. If you get down to it, *technically* all of their skills are basically Skillsofts

(not mentioned: c) I play an AI in a game, and like being able to spend Edge on my attack rolls wink.gif )
The Jake
Pretty sure you've misread.

An AI with the Pilot Origins quality can jump into any vehicle or drone. Without it, they can only use remote control.

- J.
rumanchu
QUOTE (The Jake @ Mar 27 2010, 02:19 PM) *

An AI with the Pilot Origins quality can jump into any vehicle or drone. Without it, they can only use remote control.

- J.

Piloting Origin
Cost: 5 or 10 BP
The AI’s origin is (or is related to) that of a drone or vehicle pilot program. With the 5 BP version of this quality, the character with this quality can interpret rigger signals and may “jump into” rigged vehicles as would a rigger. The 10 BP version of this quality is the same, except that the AI may load and directly use all autosoft programs, using the program rating in place of its own skill.

(emphasis mine, Runner's Companion, p.91)
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (The Jake @ Mar 27 2010, 02:19 PM) *

- J.

I'm not sure what you are arguing in this post or your previous, but it doesn't seem to pertain to what he said.

Also, to chime in on the earlier post, Autosofts don't add to a jumped-in rigger's tests. They are automated responses which would need to bypass a rigger's direct control if he wanted them to function. So, basically manual, jumped in control and autosoft directed response are mutually exclusive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012