Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rigger, RAS and the motorcycle
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Nikoli
I've been thinking about his lately, and have come to a few conclusions about using a VCR on a motorcycle.

It has been stated in the BBB and other sources that both decking and rigging puts the body in a state very similar to sleep, this is so you don't flail about and injure yourself or give your location away.

Now, I've known several people to set up their motorcycle with a rigger black-box to pilot it. Big problem unless you're sitting in a sidecar. A motorcycle is already a fairly unstable vehicle, that's one of it's strengths, it's light agile and incredibly cool. It is however also something you never EVER want to fall asleep while driving, you'll have an impressive case of road rash in a matter of seconds.

So, am I alone in thinking that rigging a motorcycle without sitting in a sidecar would be absolute suicide?
grendel
Yes, because Rigger 3 provides you with a piece of gear called the Motorbike Gyrostabilization System specifically designed to keep a motorcycle upright while being rigged or driven as a drone. Sorry, I don't have my book available or I'd supply a page number as well.
Fenris
[EDIT] Redundant post [/EDIT]
Nikoli
I'm familiar with that piece of gear. But, it does nothing for keeping the driver attached to the bike, which is the problem I am bringing up. One sharp turn and bamn, skid, ow. wobble.gif
spotlite
I know what you're getting at Nikoli. Grendel is right, there is a piece of gear which is supposed to compensate but at high speeds I very much doubt it would cut it. But on the other hand, with everything in SR - its 2060 man! Why the hell not?

In other words, its a bit of an anomoly but it makes the game cooler, so either shrug and say what the hell, or disallow it. Your game, your call.
Austere Emancipator
The driver can be kept attached by velcroing him in place or whatever else. Maybe a custom harness for rigging in a motorcycle.
Nikoli
That's not a bad idea AE. I could definitely see that working. Although the Drone rigger in me thinks putting the party on 4 or 5 RC motorcycles would look real spiffy as they all move in concert around a van, providing outriders.
spotlite
Thinking about the fiction, though, you might find some answers there.

In one of the stories on the fanpro website, reprinted from Rigger 2, is a tale of a rigger hightailing it away in a van from pursuit after a run. When he gets out, he's got leg cramp - as if he'd been running really fast for too long. He's got pulled muscles and stuff. Admittedly, he was redlining the vehicle and probably giving it stress points by exceeding the speed limit, but there is certainly some two way involvement. The rigger describes the sensations as if he's physically doing it, but its all metaphorical - running faster for accelerating, for example. On a bike, maybe the rigged system is tweaked so the RAS override is less sensitive, allowing you maintain that crucial control over centre of gravity. With the gyroscope as well, it might be enough.

Is that a better rationale?
Austere Emancipator
Works for me.
Nikoli
I can see that, though again, it violates the precepts of the RAS technology. I like the harness idea, though it would have to have a quick release setup kinda simliair to teh motorcycle airbag system so you wouldn't get tangled with the bike if you spilled.

Though it is conceivable that the system just keeps you comfortably in the position you were when you jacked in, and not necessarily a loose lump of a meat body. That would explain how Fastjack in the 1st ed opening story stayed upright when jacking in, and how riggers stay on bikes. otherwise you'd always need a 5-point harness when rigging any normal vehicle, couase you'd submarine otherwise. though the thought of a dwarf stuffed into a side-car rigging it from there amuses me.
spotlite
RAS override does NOT have to completely override physical actions. Otherwise deckers not running pure DNI would be screwed cos they couldn't use the keys on the deck. It makes it difficult to concentrate on actions in the physical world, not impossible. Given that, something like well trained fingers flying over a keyboard or leaning into a curve which you can still feel because you're rigged in would be quite feasible, imho.
Nikoli
I wasn't aware that deckers usually used the keyboards, I always chalked that up to artists ideas of modern computing, and not reflecting the technology described.
spotlite
If they aren't running pure DNI, they have to be using physical interfaces. That's the point about Direct Neural Interface! ;D
Nikoli
Wow, neato. Learn soemthign new everyday. Just gave me an idea for a decker flaw too... Carpel Tunnel syndrone, +1 TN - 1 iniit when not using pure DNI, can be avoided in four hour stints with aspirin.
spotlite
same goes with cyber - eg to activate spurs if you haven't attached DNI you have to train a muscle reflex to pop and retract them. Headware which needs activating I beleive is assumed to have DNI, since you can't flex your brain.

I am willing to stand corrected on the cyberware issue, but I'm positive about the RAS override. It certainly CAN be set to completely override a la BTL and simsense chips, but it doesn't have to be.
Nikoli
Reminds me of a Decker I had in 2nd ed. There were references in the shadowland talking that you could multi-task with a Encehalon, so I had a decker with a mono whip. would put matrix on hold, scare crap out of person bothering her then go back to decking.
Cochise
QUOTE (grendel)
Yes, because Rigger 3 provides you with a piece of gear called the Motorbike Gyrostabilization System specifically designed to keep a motorcycle upright while being rigged or driven as a drone.

Problem there:

The gyrostab is used for motocycle drones
A physically jacked in rigger is not required to have that gear in his bike.

The generic explaination of how it actually works could be something like this:
RAS shuts down any unwanted body movement and muscle tensions.
Since driving a motocycle requires the driver to act as stabilizing factor, especially for steering, the RAS version of a motocycle does not interfere with these types of body movements while it would still impede movements like drawing a gun and using it.
And the price for a motocycle even supports that view: It costs double the price
Panzergeist
Even with the stabilization to keep the bike from tipping over, what's to keep the rigger from falling off?
Lindt
The VCR is SO wired into the lower brain and spine, prehaps it can manuplate the muscles directly to keep it up? *shrug* I just require the gyro on a rigged bike.
boodah
Solution:

BMW Bike from Akira (almost recline in the bike).
5 point harness.
Hydraulic system to shift your body weight when you need to lean.
Clipped shoes and gloves to keep your body tight to the bike.

Anything else?
Nikoli
Problem with that, you take a spill and they wetvac your remains off the street.
boodah
ok, then add a couple mercury switches to the bike, and an electric release for the harness, coupled with an easy disconnecting rig.
Nikoli
Nice, I like it. now if only we can get it past the Safety Comission...
danbot37
I'm pretty sure the bike was a honda, it did have an hrc logo on it (honda racing corporation)
Nikoli
Yeah, I was disappointed that more bikes along those lines weren't in the SR book or any of the Rigger books. I personally see the motorcycle as one of the transports of choice for a runner, it's fast, easy to hide and is just damned cool.
Aesir
My view is that of course you have full control over your balance while rigging a bike. The reason for rigging into a vehicle is to drive better is it not? Driving a bike is all about balance and I dont like the thought of leaving that part entirely to a machine, as in some of your suggestions. I would say that the sensor input of the rig enhance your control. And maybe theresīs some kind of special "wired reflexes" version in the VCR for bikes, so you have total mental control over the vehicle (just like with a rigged car) only your body is a part of the system, īcause it most certainly is when riding a bike in real life.

Asastrally projecting mages lay sprawled on the floor, deckers and riggers just get an absent look on their faces, thatīs how I see it.
Nikoli
I kinda see it the same way with mages though, the slack, blank look of one who has just been subjected to 40 hours of non-stop barney in a matter of 20 seconds.
TheScamp
A motorcycle is already a fairly unstable vehicle, that's one of it's strengths...

Incidenally, a motorcycle at speed is quite stable, due to the fact that it has two extremely large gyroscopes attached to it.

Personally, I've figured that the black box on a motorcycle is programmed to allow any and all movements that pertain specifically to keeping control of the motorcycle; perhaps even forcing them. One doesn't lean out off the seat on a sharp corner just cause it looks cool, after all.
Nikoli
Very true, but given the extremes to whicha rigger can push a vehicle, that would preclude some seriously stiff muscles or possibly torn ligaments as mentioned earlier ina book.
Siege
Tweak the RAS so it embeds the sensations rather then bypassing or overriding the user's own sensory input.

The smartlink provides a limited simsense rig that doesn't fully override a user's own senses but rather augments the existing sim feed.

-Siege
spotlite
QUOTE (Aesir)
Astrally projecting mages lay sprawled on the floor, deckers and riggers just get an absent look on their faces, thatīs how I see it.

According to one of the novels, if a mage stiffens up right before he projects, his body will remain that way. So he can lean against a wall, or even remain standing up if he does it right. IF you accept the novels as canon anyway. You have to bear in mind that in the same book a mage casts a heal spell on an injured guard from astral space, so I'd be happy to accept not, but the msucle stiffening idea is cool and non-game-balance-upsetting enough for me to allow it.
danbot37
Well, for a rigger to control a motorcycle, the bikes would have to have elctronic controls, drive by wire kinda thing. Parts of it are possible in todays world. They have throttle controlled by computers now on modern cars, no throttle linkages or cables necessary. Fuel injectors control the fuel, and an electric (very fine one, mind you) motor controls the throttle plate controlling airflow. Some new diesel don't even have a throttle plate to control the airflow, they vary the pressure supplied by the turbo by controlling pitch on the turbine blades inside the unit. Thats cars you can buy now, mass produced today. Electronically controlled brakes have been done on racbikes before;when Mick Doohan broke his foot (or something) they installed a rear brake operated with a thumb button as opposed to his right foot, and he still dominated gp bikes like that. So brake and throttle fine, steering is the issue. Problem is, steering a motorcycle is very complex when you break it down, there are many inputs to control it. Pressure on the handle bars, pressure on the footpegs, leaning the body left and right and even front and back to some extent to control traction. Brakes and throttle are also heavy factors when steering. You'd have to let the driver some control, there's not enough room for counterweights to effectively reproduce human movement and control. but then, that would make you wonder why the rigger with bikes 6 would be better than someone with wired reflexes at bike 6. If the driver controls it, than someone with faster reflexes and movement would be better in control if skill was the same. Unless maybe the rig bypasses any human intervention, and sends motor impulses with out any brain interaction, bypassing the brain entirely and sending signals straight down the spinal cord. That would give faster reflexes, and still put a computer in control. The rig and VCR implant would have to include something like that to make any sense, but then it would only matter on a motorcycle. Maybe make motorcycling an option on vcr's? Why would they build that much extra in if less than a third of purchasers would use it? That would be a lot of extra programming and signal outputs than necessary for anyhting else, where everything is controlled by electronics. And I just dont see how a bike could be as effective if everything was controlled by electronics.

edit: I should really try using multiple paragraphs. sorry guys
hobgoblin
dont forget that a RAS works like when you are asleep, you may not know your body is there but that does not mean that your body goes limb, your still tossing and turning in bed but your not aware of this.

most likely long haul drivers useing rigger systems have the VCR kinda shock the mucles so that they are not compleatly out of tune when you jack out (mutch like a hunter being in the same posision for long, it gets unconfortable after some time).

if so then this can be extended to allso cover balance when your on a bike. basicly your body becomes one more part of the bike and i dont realy see the need for a gyro unit as the drivers body is used for that (alltho its there for when you want to have the bike drive itself mutch like a drone).

its not like a deckers body goes limb either, you can still control it to a degree. in BBB there is a part that talks about the decker going into the system and not bothering to set her face in any special shape as its to mutch effort.
Phaeton
...Seat belts would work at keeping the rigger strapped in if the bike was anything like Kaneda's, I think...That and the velcro idea mentioned...
Lindt
Actually in the discription of RAS override, its says (roughly) that it dosent totally turn off, just mostly off, as to not allow cramping. Cept when deckers get sucked into UV, then you are gonna come back to some burning.
But in all honesty, I dont care the real hows. A seatbelt on a bike is just generaly a bad idea.
Phaeton
Why?

And furthermore, how would a UV-level system cause RAS problems, again?
Lindt
Hey, I dont write the rules, I just read them. Matrix pg 49.
Can you say road rash? I have no intention of being strapped to something that can flip over and skid down the road with me still attached,
Phaeton
Which is I would buy a roll cage. Kaneda's bike would've looked cool with a roll cage...
Lindt
A croch rocket with a roll cage? *wonders if you could mount an armored turrent on it too....*
Phaeton
indifferent.gif eek.gif love.gif cyber.gif

Never thought of that, before. grinbig.gif grinbig.gif grinbig.gif grinbig.gif
Lindt
Heh, as long as you dont fire sideways. Hmmmm but with a rocket launcher....
Phaeton
Eh. With a LMG you could fire sideways. I think. Just don't try the same tactic with a Victory Assault Gatling. grinbig.gif

Rigger: What the hell are you doing with that thing?!

Gunner: Laying down suppressive fire! What's it look li---*interrupted as the vehicle falls over*
TheScamp
If the driver controls it, than someone with faster reflexes and movement would be better in control if skill was the same.

Because the person with the VCR has much more fine control over things like throttle and braking than someone manually operating the same controls. The 'connection to the road' is going to be much stronger in a rigged vehicle.

Oh, and cybernetic reflex enhancers don't increase movement speed.
Phaeton
Ahhhh, yes. This discussion and TheScamp's sig both remind me...When can DSF expect to hear about the game session known as "Rigger, Please!"? grinbig.gif
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Phaeton)
...Seat belts would work at keeping the rigger strapped in if the bike was anything like Kaneda's, I think...That and the velcro idea mentioned...

Duct Tape?

QUOTE (boodah)
Solution:

BMW Bike from Akira (almost recline in the bike).
5 point harness.
Hydraulic system to shift your body weight when you need to lean.
Clipped shoes and gloves to keep your body tight to the bike.

Anything else?

That bike is outdated man.You want the Snow Crash one,spead bumps,pot holes...Ain't nothing.The Akira bike doesn't wrape around you like a nymphomaniacal gymnast.Now does it?
TheScamp
That bike is outdated man.

Actually, a fair chunk of the current line of concept bikes bear more than a passing resemblance to that machine.
Playing Games
So,it'd be at least 30 year old tech in 2060?Great,high tech toys.

The thing is shadowrun toys should be made up,of things that mkae ourwildest dreams look tame.That bike may be high tech now,but in shadowrun it may as well be a car from world war 2,compared to one made now.
TheScamp
So,it'd be at least 30 year old tech in 2060?

Hey, retro is almost always in. A hell of a lot of production motorcycles now look like bikes from the 70's or earlier.

The thing is shadowrun toys should be made up,of things that mkae ourwildest dreams look tame.

That's purely a matter of taste, and taste which I don't happen to share. smile.gif
Playing Games
Tell,ya what .Think about this,shadowrun may well have retro looks being cool.But Retro is rarely piratical.When it is ,it is mainly so because something went FUBAR.

Retro,bikes,sure they look cool. The thing you have to ask yourself, is looking cool worth spening years in a natioial pristion,or worse a corporate one?You may get lucky,and get killed.

Look back 60 years, think how much,computers,cars,music,styles,law have changed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012